- 2.0L l4 16V Turbo
- 2.0L l5 20V Turbo
Power: 129-220 hp
Torque: 121-229 lb-ft
Weight: 1250–1320 kg
Transmission: 5 and 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Fiat Coupe, first seen at the Brussels Motor Show in 1993, was based on the same platform as the Tipo hatchback. Clothed in a body styled by Chris Bangle before he became notorious for 'flame-surfaced' BMW's, it looked fantastic, all scallops, slashes and bulges. The Pininfarina-styled interior was suitably pretty too, with its signature painted-metal band running right round the cabin.

The Coupe was initially available with the last iteration of Fiat's legendary twin-cam, four-cylinder engine in 2.0-litre, 16-valve form. These engines (both NA and turbo) were inherited from the Lancia Delta Integrale, winner of the World Rally Championship a record six times. Thanks to its Integrale-derived powerplant, the 195bhp four-cylinder Turbo was respectably quick, sprinting to 60mph in 7.3 seconds and topping out at 140mph. But the 220bhp five-cylinder Turbo was nothing less than one of the fastest FWD cars of its time. 0-60mph took just 6.3 seconds, with a top speed of 155mph, accompanied by an Audi Quattro-esque soundtrack. Sensibly Fiat saw fit to equip both versions of the Turbo with a proper limited-slip differential, preventing the rampant understeer that would have been inevitable otherwise. The combination of chassis, power and control added up to one of the best-driving cars of the Nineties, regardless of which wheels were doing the driving.

Coupe production came to an end in 2000 after nearly 73,000 had been built.​

maxresdefault.jpg
Fiat-Coupe-LE.jpg

Fiat-coupe-1998-side.png
2000_Fiat_Coupe_20V_Turbo_Plus_(15907235015).jpg

fiat-coupe-13.jpg

coupe_fiat_7.jpeg

Last edited:
I always found these cool European cars thanks to a certain game. Low cool, not a bad looking machine inside or out and had decent power for what it was.

I'll give it a cool, but not quite a sz. The specs are pretty good and a 5 cylinder turbo warrents a cool. That interior is beautiful too and the rear is not the worst ive seen..
However the front doesnt quite do it for me, and even having a limited slip diff wouldnt save it from the fact its an FF, and would still probably understeer like mad.
But in all honesty, I'd still buy one. So cool it is

Boudicea wheels weren't a factory option, were they?

Anyway, TG references aside, meant to vote Cool but my brain did a dumb and hit SZ.

Known it in a video-game, started to admire it more. Interior wise? Standard looks good, Pininfarina looks *amazing*.

Definite high cool here, one of the better Fiat's around.

It's an interesting car to say the least. Yes, it has a 5 cylinder engine and I would be happy to drive one, but I wouldn't consider it cool because the styling looks a little awkward to me. Meh

Looks very '90s, hasn't aged that well but it's not offensive to look at and I'd imagine it'd be much more fun if it was RWD.
They are getting pretty rare now as well. Low cool.

I was never totally convinced by the styling, it is incredibly awkward from some angles and was always under-wheeled. But it was a cracking little coupe. Low cool.

Love the look of the thing in silver, but I can understand why people would be weirded out by the car's eyebrows. Cool.

Nothing wrong with a car that looks obscenely '90s when each element comes together to form a visual feast. More intriguing than downright pretty, though the interior can be described as both on top of looking a decade ahead of its time.

High Cool.

Sub-Zero. An exceptional gestalt car greater than the sum of its parts.

With one concession: they sometimes suffer from the same problem as the Chrysler 300Cs which have Bentley badging on them.

This isn't the only time I saw one with Ferrari badges.

1653914_10152196031266131_2120944695_n.jpg

Cars like this make me question if it's better to be boring looking, or just plain fudge-ugly.

It does remind me a lot of GT2, but it takes a lot more than that to drag a 20v 2-litre I5 FWD Coupe off SU.

Also, Bangle was head of BMW design, but most of the things from Bavaria that people associate him with were actually penned by Adrian "Scarf indoors" van Hooydonk.

Latest Posts

Back