GTP Cool Wall: 1993-2000 Fiat Coupé

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 47 comments

1993-2000 Fiat Coupé

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Engine from the Integrale, chassis from the Tipo (which says nothing - the Delta was based on the Ritmo, after all), iconic styling. Sorry, I know it's a bit of a loser-mobile, but it's too cool for me.

It has not aged well, at all, but it always struck me as a cool car. And that I5 is ace. If only wasn't FWD...

Low cool.

Super easy cool. Looks like nothing else out there yet isn't tacky. And should embarrass quite the number of flashy motors in a straight line.

Nothing wrong with a car that looks obscenely '90s when each element comes together to form a visual feast. More intriguing than downright pretty, though the interior can be described as both on top of looking a decade ahead of its time.

All of this, but for me it barely manages a cool.

Understeering mehmobile

and would still probably understeer like mad.

You guys need to get informed.

Even with the 5 pot hanging in the front this thing hugs the road, sure it will understeer but it takes a whole lot before actually going straight on when turning. This is one of those underrated pearls of automotive history. It hasn't aged all that well but for a FF car is sure is a lot of fun to drive.

Headlights on the bonnet and in the grille, 'hidden' doorhandles, edges for the sake of having edges, yellow, coupe when coupes were still cool. This one has surprisingly many design features also present in the Nissan Juke, almost 20 years before the Nissan Juke.

Went for cool. They've always looked under-wheeled as @TheCracker mentions, but to me they've also always looked so much better on the road than they do in pictures, with a real hint of exotica to them.
Also, Bangle was head of BMW design, but most of the things from Bavaria that people associate him with were actually penned by Adrian "Scarf indoors" van Hooydonk.
I don't get the general Bangle-bashing, not least because those who deride him for BMW's styling direction don't realise he was also responsible for the E46 3-series that BMW nerds fap themselves to sleep over.

'Flame surfacing' and the like might have sprouted under Bangle's design leadership but it was simply a phase - and arguably, the cars produced during that era are more attractive than the cars BMW is producing now. To me an E90 3-series has much tauter proportions than an F30, for instance.

That, and styling changes. Beyond the Fiat Coupe and Bangle-era BMWs being related to the same person, there's basically no similarity to them whatsoever. Same goes for any other designer: Giorgetto Giugiaro did the curvy Fiat Dino coupe and the ultra-boxy Mk1 Golf, but it'd be completely daft to say of one:
Not surprising when you found out who 'styled' it.
...for instance. Ditto comparing the Mk1 Audi TT to say, the 2003-on Chrysler 300, neither of which are remotely similar to behold yet both were styled by Freeman Thomas. Styling trends are completely transient.

High cool, it's quirky, Italian sports coupe. More desirable than the Alfa Romeos of the era, that's for sure.

Italian. Turbo. Coupe. Quirky, polarizing design. 90s as 🤬. Pininfarina. Not an ostentatious supercar. LSD.

I voted cool but as I re-read my comment...damn, this car is hands down Sub-Zero.

High cool, it's quirky, Italian sports coupe. More desirable than the Alfa Romeos of the era, that's for sure.
I've always been torn on whether I prefer the Fiat Coupe or the Alfa GTV launched at basically the same time. Both were essentially on the same platform. Both had great engines - Fiat's five-cylinder, and Alfa's V6. Both were actually pretty good to drive based on contemporary reports. I lean towards the Alfa as I think its design has stood the test of time a little better and it has better proportions, but occasionally I see the Fiat on the road and remember how great it looks in person.

Both the Fiat Coupe and the Alfa GTV are stupidly cheap at the moment. The Alfa's especially so.

Twincam four GTV's go for about 2k - with the V6's at about £3k. The Fiats are a bit more at £5k upwards. Both are surely at their peak depreciation level now, with the Fiat Coupes maybe already on the rise. Now's probably the ideal time to grab a good one.

Both the Fiat Coupe and the Alfa GTV are stupidly cheap at the moment. The Alfa's especially so.

Twincam four GTV's go for about 2k - with the V6's at about £3k. The Fiats are a bit more at £5k upwards. Both are surely at their peak depreciation level now, with the Fiat Coupes maybe already on the rise. Now's probably the ideal time to grab a good one.
The Alfa is a perpetual temptation. Cannot at all see them remaining that low for too long.

Was a good time for coupes, the 1990s. Made the roads a more interesting place for a time.

Had the pleasure of driving the nuts off a friend's 20V Turbo back when they were new. I was impressed then, even though I'd owned an 'Grale a few years before. As already said here, definitely a future classic as long a you can find one in A1 condition.

I've had a love/hate thing with the styling over the years, going from 'wow' when they came out to 'hmm' within weeks, then back to 'wow' again when I hadn't seen one for a while. Time has treated these well and the styling is now more desirable than ever.

Solid Cool from me.

Back