Audi-RS2-Avant-729x486-cee1b7ff6e41e550.jpg

Production: 1994-1995
Styles: 5 Door Avant
Engines: 2.2 L 5-cylinder 20v turbo
Transmission: 6-speed Manual
Layout: Longitudinal Front engine, Quattro Permanent Four-Wheel drive
Power Output: 315 HP

Last edited:
Fast Audi estate, tuned by Porsche. The first Audi RS model and still sets the template for the current fast Audi estates even today. Sub Zero.

Seems that Audi's very first RS will remain the coolest for the foreseeable future. The fact that they went with Avant body with an I5 and pre-dates the nigh-on seriously uncool modern Audi repmobiles only solidifies its position.

A prime example of a desirable 90s performance estate. High cool.

Last edited:
Estate = uncool
Ugly = uncool
Audi = meh
Engine = Cool
Drivetrain = meh
Probably will get referred to as a 'sleeper' = seriously uncool

Overall, Seriously uncool.

Wow.
I love this thing so, so much. I want one more than my next breath. It's in my top 10. And I can't quantify why.

I first heard about it in a feature on a new RS car. Which one escapes me. But it listed all of the previous S/RS cars in history, and ranked them in terms of 'RS-ness'. This was top. So I was keen to hear about it.

Looking back on it, despite the relatively tiny engine, and the 4WD which I love, the stats aren't much nowadays. There were also great tested claims about it that were entirely irrelevant in the big scheme of things.

I do think it looks very beautiful, though. Quintessential and best looking of the Audi front-ends for one, and good from my favourite angle - absolutely side-on - but the best part of the looks is its arse. It's just so lovely and shapely. The blue and silver colours also look wonderful on it.

But I know much better lookers. So I really cannot quantify why the RS2 Avant is one of my absolute favourites.

But it is. There is a feel to it all that just pulls me in and I cannot push myself out of it again.

Sub-Zero. In my personal icebox. Would have one in a heartbeat...

Gotta go with meh. I see absolutely nothing appealing about this car other than it takes you from point A to point B.

Added the power output to the OP, future ones I do with multiple engines will have a range of the lowest to the highest that I could find.

The last cool Audi. After this Audi's went from quirky subtlety to shouty angry mainstreamness. Or something.

__________________________________________________________________________________

@Slash

You are aware that it has over 300 hp?

My Dad had a car with a damn near identical specs wise Alfa Romeo engine that generated maybe half that.

Performance wagon built by Porsche? High cool. Misses SZ because the rear is ugly.

You said there was nothing appealing about it other than getting you from A to B. 300+ HP isn't appealing to you?

Performance wagon built by Porsche? High cool. Misses SZ because the rear is ugly.

You said there was nothing appealing about it other than getting you from A to B. 300+ HP isn't appealing to you?
300hp is very appealing, so technically I shouldn't have said that. But it's everything else that isn't. That's why I didn't give it an uncool.

Misses SZ because the rear is ugly.
It soooo isn't though...
You could say the stuff that's stuck onto it doesn't compliment it perfectly (the lights presumably. But I'm a sucker for those types of lights...). But the shape itself is so...wonderful.
There aren't many cars with more beautiful bums.

'In fact, so strong was the performance of the RS2, when tested by UK publication Autocar it was revealed the Audi-Porsche lovechild could accelerate to 30mph in just 1.5 seconds. Amazingly, at the time, that was faster than both the McLaren F1 road car and Jacques Villeneuve’s Williams F1 car. The quattro system obviously did a great job of getting power through its wheels then!'

Last Audi that's anywhere near cool, and get's a cool from me.

Sub zero. (that was obvious wasn't it :lol: )

With an engine that can run anything into ground, a chassis so long yet so sporty and then the understatement of the shell.

And that engine and exaust sound.

It soooo isn't though...
You could say the stuff that's stuck onto it doesn't compliment it perfectly. But the shape itself is so...wonderful. There aren't many cars with more beautiful bums.
Sorry, I just don't like the way the lights extend across the entire rear. I don't like that in many cars really, except for earlier 911s. And I can think of a good number of cars with nicer rear ends.

I went with uncool because the reality is wagons are uncool to people in North America except to car geeks like us who aren't cool in the first place. The average person is going to see a weird looking Audi wagon and won't get why you wouldn't just buy a sports car if you wanted a sporty car.

Do I want one? Yes. Very yes. But it isn't cool IMO.

Sorry, I just don't like the way the lights extend across the entire rear. I don't like that in many cars really, except for earlier 911s. And I can think of a good number of cars with nicer rear ends.
Damn. I edited it just before you mentioned the lights.

I, on the other hand, am a sucker for such lights. I love the look of the Mazda Lantis for such a reason.
And, come to think of it...the Mazda Familia GT-R...
...Wait, have I found my "car look" fetish? Lights stretching across the derriere?
...Yes. That's it. I love the RS2 Avant for that sole reason.

I actually think those rear lights fit the Lantis pretty well. It definitely varies from car to car. Like I said, I think they look good on something like a late 70s 911, but look bad on a 1990s 911.

Back