• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1994-2001 Mitsubishi 3000GT / GTO nominated by @JASON_ROCKS1998

VR4-2.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupé/convertible
Engine: 3.0L DOHC V6 (3000GT/SR/SL), 3.0L DOHC TT V6 (TT/MR/VR-4)
Power: 160 hp (3000GT), 218 hp (SR/SL), 276 hp (TT/MR), 320 hp (VR-4)
Torque: 184 ft-lbs (3000GT), 204 ft-lbs (SR/SL), 315 ft-lbs (TT/MR/VR-4)
Weight: 1430 kg (SR/SL), 1530 kg (MR/VR-4), 1670 kg (Spyder VR-4)
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive (3000GT/SR/SL) & front-engine, all-wheel drive (TT/MR/VR-4)
Additional Information:
Following the success of the HSR and HSX concept cars in 1989, Mitsubishi developed the new GTO as an advanced 2+2 sports car designed to compete with the Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7, Nissan Skyline GT-R and Toyota Supra. They resurrected the GTO name, and the car went on to serve as Mitsubishi’s flagship for the remainder of the decade. However, despite the cachet of the badge at home, it was marketed as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and as the Dodge Stealth outside Japan, as the company was concerned that connoisseurs would object to the evocative nameplate from the highly regarded Ferrari 250 GTO and Pontiac GTO being used on a Japanese vehicle. However, regardless of its badge or eventual target market, every car was built on the same production line at Mitsubishi's plant in Nagoya, Japan.

The 3000GT went into it's second generation in 1994 where it received a number of visual changes as well as a 6 speed manual transmission. There was also a limited run convertible model, the Spyder VR-4, of which less than 900 were sold in North America, and not being sold in European or Japanese markets, but the extra weight interfered with handling, so the Spyder was discontinued in 1995 due to low sales.

There was another facelift in 1998, with a small number of cosmetic changes as well as the base 3000GT getting the SOHC engine from the Dodge Stealth. Production for Japan and Europe ceased in 2000, while the final 2 3000GT's were sold in North America in 2001.

Poll excludes the Z15AM 3000GT VR-4

front.jpg
Mitsubishi_GTO_Z15A_5.jpg
70005003333014060700400.jpg
0500333A30140607W00418.jpg
8049d253cbbffc823fc8d8d2933b32f0.jpg
5efe798283bd793dfb8d5c72f2fc923e.jpg

CIMG0638.jpg~original.jpg

Lacks the instant recognition of it's rivals, plus it's a bit on the fat side.

Meh.

SZ. At the time, the weight would have kept it from being SZ, but dang, the thing had an active front splitter! Thank goodness for Gran Turismo.

Probably not the best Japanese 90's sports car, but I think it's cool.

I suppose it could be cool or not, depending on how cool you think getting attention from non-car enthusiasts is. As a car enthusiast, I always get non enthusiast family members or friends going "Wow, did you see this Ferrari before!?" It's a car that still turns heads, although being mistaken for another brand, I'm not sure.

SZ.

Super cool, very good looking, much more so than it's Dodge Stealth sibling IMO. One of the best and most iconic Japanese sports, more so GT cars of it's time for me. And to top it off, it has one the best (if not the best for me) V6 soundtracks of all.

And yes it's quite weighty. but that isn't as much of an issue I think, as the top VR-4 models (or any model) certainly seemed to go about their business as if it was a lighter car, still seem to be surprisingly capable for their size and weight.

Last edited:
And yes it's quite weighty. but that isn't as much of an issue I think, as the top VR-4 models certainly seemed to go about their business as if it was a much lighter car

Again, it really didn't. All of the technology packed into the early ones ruined the feel and feedback of the steering, brakes and shifter, there was a lot of body roll and understeer. The Supra was no lightweight either but it very consistently showed the VR4 a clean set of heels in all performance testing of the period, aside from that one Best Motoring vid of what happens when the GTO is actually somewhat light as per the MR version.

Also:

One of the best and most iconic Japanese sports cars of it's time

Was very quickly forgotten about after the Z16A and it isn't a sports car. Far from it.

I had no idea there was a convertible version until now.

Was very quickly forgotten about after the Z16A and it isn't a sports car. Far from it.

Alright, to be fair on the sports car statement, I thought about amending it to say it's much more of a GT machine than a true sports car, but I didn't through true laziness :lol:.

And to me, it didn't seem that forgotten about, at least to me it didn't, I've always thought/seen it as being just as memorable as the "big hitters" of it's time, even right through to it's demise, but maybe that's just me.

Also, on a random note. would love to own one down the line, in Twin-Turbo form too.

Last edited:
The SZ voting to me scream of "I grew up playing GT, and no it's not a 3000GT it's a GTO"

I gave it meh because it's more down to earth unlike the other version that was not, but still had looks that were forgettable and lived among greater cars of the era. I mean it's a nice Chrysler though.

Classic JDM, it's a staple of any early console racing sim. Not to mention it's so underappreciated compared to the Toyota Supra. That's an easy SZ.

These things were pretty porky (the lightest it could get was 3,2xxlbs for the base model, and convertible VR4s weighing almost 3,700lbs), which doesn't jump out as particularly sporting to me. And apparently Mitsubishi thought it was worth it's weight in gold, because loaded convertible VR4s went for the equivalent of roughly $103,000(!) in today's money, and base models with the same power as a Taurus asking nearly $40,000 (also in today's money). Sure, there was some neat selling points like the four-wheel-steering and active aero, but at the end of the day you're paying the same money that could net you a Supra Turbo or a C4/C5 that were just as good, if not better cars than this thing.

Seriously Uncool

A sportscar bought by people who aren't into cars but like the idea of having a sportscar. Seriously Uncool.

If it weren't for that, I will have forgotten about this car. Unlike the Supra or Skyline where even some people who isn't really into cars will know it and recognize them. This one is....ehhh.

Low cool.

What little weight advantage this had over the tech-laden first generation means nothing when the car ends up looking three times fatter from any angle.

Uncool.

I had no idea there was a convertible version until now.

Last edited:
SZ.

Super cool, very good looking, much more so than it's Dodge Stealth sibling IMO. One of the best and most iconic Japanese sports, more so GT cars of it's time. And to top it off, it has one the best (if not the best for me) V6 soundtracks of all.

And yes it's quite weighty. but that isn't as much of an issue I think, as the top VR-4 models certainly seemed to go about their business as if it was a much lighter car.
It drove every bit as much as a turbocharged AWD Diamante as it was.

Again, it really didn't. All of the technology packed into the early ones ruined the feel and feedback of the steering, brakes and shifter, there was a lot of body roll and understeer. The Supra was no lightweight either but it very consistently showed the VR4 a clean set of heels in all performance testing of the period, aside from that one Best Motoring vid of what happens when the GTO is actually somewhat light as per the MR version.

It drove every bit as much as a turbocharged AWD Diamante as it was.

Well then, I retract my earlier statement saying it was really agile and "went about it's business as if it was a lighter car". Guess I was wrong, just seemed that way to me, but can't say too much having not driven one myself :lol:.

Mind you, still doesn't change my vote or how I feel about it.

Pig ugly facelifts didn't help, but there's a certain charm to the original models.

I often see these looking sorry for themselves, which might betray the type of owners they attract...

Uncool.

This car would of been alot better if it wasn't restricted to a gentlemans agreement when they made it, becuase of it's heavy weight it needed more power but just think about it, this was from Mitsubishi the brand that now only makes Mirages and 10 year old Lancers and Outlanders with a facelift, for that alone I got to give it a cool, atleast they tried with this car.

Back