• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R nominated by Badasp5.0

DF-95-Cobra-R.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1995
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: Windsor 351 ci/5.8 L naturally aspirated OHV V8 (rated 300 HP & 365 lb-ft)
Transmission: Tremec 3550 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: Ford Mustang, Ford Mustang Cobra​

My take? No A/C, no sound deadening, manual windows. Cool! Also no radio, but considering you had to present a valid competetion license to buy one, that'd be considered a positive by anyone who bothered to buy one.

You may notice this post is a day late. Somehow my internal schedule got discombobulated - I tabulated the results of the Fiat 500 poll too early, and didn't think it was time to post another poll yesterday because the Peugeot Oxia poll wasn't ready yet.

Meh, I'd rather look around for a Boss 302. Would be a lot faster, handle better, and it at least has a radio for driving to and from the track.

Generally for me, Mustangs were cool from 1965-1971, and the cool factor came back when the 2011 MY cars came around.

Subzero. I couldn't help but vote that since I have a '98 Mustang V6. It's nowhere near as cool as this car, especially after hitting a damn deer two days after Christmas. :mad:

Sounds like it'd be great fun to drive. I also quite like the looks, in a kind of it-couldn't-be-any-more-1990s sort of a way.

However, it's still a 1990s Mustang, it still looks a bit like the owner got a coupon for tacky body addenda, and I know exactly what sort of people will vote it cool on GTP. So this one is an uncool.

Saved from SU because of what W&N mentioned above about having to have a competition license to buy one. That presumably saved most of them from the poser crowd and put them into the hands of people who were at least going to drive them properly. Though there's absolutely no guarantee that's now the case a few owners down the line.

However, it's still a 1990s Mustang, it still looks a bit like the owner got a coupon for tacky body addenda, and I know exactly what sort of people will vote it cool on GTP. So this one is an uncool.

I voted cool. Should I feel bad? :lol:

I quite like the looks to be honest. Understated, nice stance and quick. Good track car I think.

As much as I love the 4th gen. Mustang (especially the 94/95 models with the 302 and, in this case, 351 engines) I can't vote anything other than uncool.

The Mustang hasn't been cool since 1970 and has, unfortunately, become popular amongst certain groups who aren't synonymous with cool (especially since the 4th gen.).

Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one though. :D

Last edited:
Uncool because it's not the 2000 SVT Cobra R, which would definitely be a sub-zero, plus I didn't really like this generations styling.

Now I am worried about my nomination on the wall. I'm having high expectations for it, and the only Mustangs that get these expectations are the ones everyone loves for the right reasons: the first generation.

Note: I have zero exact knowledge on the history of these cars. This is going with my gut feeling. Feel free to correct me.

The very first Mustang I've ever cared about was the newer SVT Cobra that presented itself in Gran Turismo 2. That's nostalgia points that steer it away from my initial score of Uncool. I don't hate the 'tuner-esque' Mustangs, but my top three generations comprises of one, five and three. But, sporty, chic, limited edition. The girls are all into guys that drive sporty coupes.

And then I'll stop at cool, that is, until i saw what it is. Curiosity does kill! Now it's time to read what Wikipedia says!

*mumbles... slurp... mumbles*

Plus? I do know, love, and had a drive on the Cobra R made 2 years before this (in Forza 4), which would get the instant freshness of Sub-Zero from me, but this is what we got. A car that has expectations to fulfill.

Okay.. lot's of minuses. You need a racing license? That's pure bull. And we're saying goodbye to some typical road car utilities, and in the mostly warm country of America, you NEED air-con. We're going to treat the car on the road, and these luxuries are kind of a must for these.

And then i put it at uncool, but i have no reason to hate this. Not biasing, i hope, but Meh it is!

Meh, it's just seems too bland despite its speed.

Requiring a race license to buy one didn't stop them from being sold privately a little while later with a massive price hike.

Meh. Not too thrilled for a vehicle using the Cobra name so it gets more status over just "SVT" for example because of Carrol Shelby.

I can see I'm not the only one who actually likes how it looks, and it's easier on the eyes than the New Edge redesign that came later in my opinion. Given the performance boost in the Cobra R, I really do like the '95 model.

Just falls short of cool though. I certainly don't think it's uncool however, as I do have a soft spot for the 90s looks and the added grunt. Similarly with another pony car of that decade, the pre-facelift 4th gen Camaro. I like the overtly 90s design and don't care much for the later versions with the cosmetic revisions, but both it and the Mustang are relatively ungainly lumps like many US cars from that era. Likeable from some angles, but not cool.

Last edited:
It's a solid cool to me. It's a Hardcore Mustang and I just find that cool, especially the fact you need a competition license to own one which helps seperate the posers from the real drivers.

Meh to the car.
Subzero. I couldn't help but vote that since I have a '98 Mustang V6. It's nowhere near as cool as this car, especially after hitting a damn deer two days after Christmas. :mad:
Well, holy crap, haven't seen you in a long time!

Uncool, it does nothing for me and the few I've seen at various car shows were owned by meatheads.

Back