GTP Cool Wall: 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R

1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Small release Mustangs are cool to me, and this is no exception. However, it can't get too far past that designation. It's not the best body style, through and through.

Overall, can't hold a candle to it's New Edge follow-up. To this day, that Cobra R is one of the coolest American cars produced.

I was never a big fan of how these cars look, and to me, these Mustangs are now just associated with rednecks. Saved from seriously uncool because I can see the performance potential of this model though.

Uncool.

Meh. Any Mustang of that era is not cool, take all the badges off and you would not be able to tell its a Stang. I would buy something newer, you get more power, a radio, and the classy look, which makes the new Mustangs cool.

However, it's still a 1990s Mustang, it still looks a bit like the owner got a coupon for tacky body addenda, and I know exactly what sort of people will vote it cool on GTP. So this one is an uncool.
HUH? IMHO its pretty damn subdued? The hood is slightly larger than the rank and file mustangs and the spoiler is carry over from the non R cobras? Now the '00 is over the top tacky. I guess I have no idea what tacky is?

I love how everyone on this board seems to think IRS is the holy grail of rear ends.

Newsflash:

It isn't.

Lies only European and Asian cars with IRS can handle, everything else is pretty much American crap.

:lol:

I was never a big fan of how these cars look, and to me, these Mustangs are now just associated with rednecks. Saved from seriously uncool because I can see the performance potential of this model though.

Uncool.
Sweet I am a messican redneck!!! :P

I love how everyone on this board seems to think IRS is the holy grail of rear ends.

Newsflash:

It isn't.

I love how some people think all that matters for a car is its drag racing credentials.

Newsflash:

It isn't.

;)

For anything other than straight line work, IRS is absolutely a better starting point. Ford has done some incredible work with the current Mustang's live axle, getting it to handle better than almost anybody would've reasonably expected, but an IRS setup allows for a lot more options. Live axle will always have a cost benefit, sure, and it can handle a whole lot of power, but Ford would've been better off burning money if it had left a live axle in the 2015 and expect it to sell even decently well abroad.

Anywho, as for the '95 itself; I've voted Meh. I never particularly cared for this generation 'Stang - always preferred the Fox Body and the New Edge that sandwiched it, but even up here in the frozen north, the Mustang name still commands a decent level of respect. This one having the guts to run toe-to-toe with any pre-Coyota newer models saves it from Uncool status.

I agree with everything you've said, but the fact that people seem to think that if it doesn't have it means it's automatically trash is ridiculous.

Uncool. Much uglier than the Fox body and New Edge models as SlipZtrEm said. Not nearly as cool as the SVT Cobra R that would come in 2000, even though I don' like the look of the wing on that car.

HUH? IMHO its pretty damn subdued? The hood is slightly larger than the rank and file mustangs and the spoiler is carry over from the non R cobras? Now the '00 is over the top tacky. I guess I have no idea what tacky is?
You used several question marks there but there weren't actually many questions.

Compare this car to a regular Mustang of the period and all the additions - the raised hood ("slightly" larger is understating it a little), the side skirts that look like drainpipes, the jelly mold front bumper, the wonky rear spoiler and the oh-so-90s alloys do look quite naff. I'd agree the '00 is even more so, but it's also more angular and has a healthy dose of aggression to offset some of that.

Are you european? That might be the confusion. the question marks where more to highlight my confusion at your statements. Just a heads up I own a regular Mustang of the period in fact it was my daily driver for 15 years.....The front bumper, side skirts and spoiler are the same as the non R Cobras for 94 and 95 and the wheels became the defacto standard aftermarket wheel for Mustangs.

Its amazing how many pretentious folks are on here, the question marks where more to highlight my confusion at your statements. Just a heads up I own a regular Mustang of the period in fact it was my daily driver for 15 years.....
You'll find I even said I quite liked the 90s look in my first post. The one you selectively quoted to highlight the negative bit. So here's the positive bit again:
I also quite like the looks, in a kind of it-couldn't-be-any-more-1990s sort of a way.
But then me liking it, or you liking it, or anyone liking it, doesn't really have any bearing on whether it's cool or not. It just means I have the ability to separate something I like with something I find uncool. Just like I've separated the Aston Martin DBS in the other thread, a car I find boring because it looks the same as every other Aston, from its cool factor.

A car I like uncool and a car I don't like cool? Fancy that!

Understandably as an owner, you're struggling to separate your fondness for it from its coolness.

And incidentally, me finding it a bit naff doesn't make me pretentious. It just means the car's a bit naff.
Are you european? That might be the confusion.
Yes I am, and no it isn't.

I've voted plenty of American cars cool in these polls. My nationality has absolutely zero bearing on whether I find a car cool or not.

Are you european? That might be the confusion. the question marks where more to highlight my confusion at your statements. Just a heads up I own a regular Mustang of the period in fact it was my daily driver for 15 years.....The front bumper, side skirts and spoiler are the same as the non R Cobras for 94 and 95 and the wheels became the defacto standard aftermarket wheel for Mustangs.

I think the problem is, in the UK at least, most Mustangs are never been sold... so we never got this. So, it kinda just looks like a generic blobby 90's American car.. which to be honest, is something most average Europeans would consider as being a bit rubbish (big engine, not much power, poor economy, boat handling - the usual stereotypes). The fact this one might not be any of those things depends on the viewer knowing what it is.... a bit like spotting the difference between an E36 M3R or LTW, and a poverty spec 318i Coupe.

300hp is 300hp but that doesn't mean it must be equally impressive regardless of the way an engine goes about making it. It's the Cool Wall, not a drag race. "Underpowered" might not be the best word choice -- more like underwhelming, I would say.

I'd say 300 PS from a 5.8 litre engine was underpowered.
Oh my god here we go again.

Who. The hell. Gives a crap. You realize its a 40 year old motor right? It makes 300 horsepower. Don't like it? Don't buy it or make it make more. That simple. Who cares if its underpowered it doesn't mean crap. There is the power it makes and its power potential, thats it. I'm pretty sure 300hp is a helluva lot better than the 150 it put out in 1977. You can have your econobox 1.2 liter that makes a whopping 120hp and leave these cars to the muscle guys that dont care. Go buy something else then.

:mad: *cue Tom Araya scream from Angel of Death*

Www.tomarayascream.com

This is starting to irritate me...driving me nuts everytime someone says that .

Last edited:
You'll find I even said I quite liked the 90s look in my first post. The one you selectively quoted to highlight the negative bit. So here's the positive bit again:

But then me liking it, or you liking it, or anyone liking it, doesn't really have any bearing on whether it's cool or not. It just means I have the ability to separate something I like with something I find uncool. Just like I've separated the Aston Martin DBS in the other thread, a car I find boring because it looks the same as every other Aston, from its cool factor.

A car I like uncool and a car I don't like cool? Fancy that!

Understandably as an owner, you're struggling to separate your fondness for it from its coolness.

And incidentally, me finding it a bit naff doesn't make me pretentious. It just means the car's a bit naff.

Yes I am, and no it isn't.

I've voted plenty of American cars cool in these polls. My nationality has absolutely zero bearing on whether I find a car cool or not.

I wasn't saying you were pretentious for liking it or not. It was more the comment about question marks that I was referencing. But anyways very good response, sir. I think your Nationality does have a bit to do with it as Matski touched upon. Also it does explain why I think its subdued in styling when you think it looks like it has tacky body addenda

I think the problem is, in the UK at least, most Mustangs are never been sold... so we never got this. So, it kinda just looks like a generic blobby 90's American car.. which to be honest, is something most average Europeans would consider as being a bit rubbish (big engine, not much power, poor economy, boat handling - the usual stereotypes). The fact this one might not be any of those things depends on the viewer knowing what it is.... a bit like spotting the difference between an E36 M3R or LTW, and a poverty spec 318i Coupe.

HP/Liter again?
LOL I knew that was coming when I posted up, surprised it was from Rodger since he isn't one to even mention high HP.

I'm British, I love the looks, the engine, I love the car. I would love to own a 4th gen. Mustang one day, especially a '94/'95 GT.

It's still uncool.

Liking the car =/= cool
Very cool those 94-95s are a strange trip of random specific parts, compared to the fox bodies LOL. But in the end they are damn good cars. I cannot wait to get a 2nd one for the wife and pass it down to my daughter.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back