gs-t-jpg.148230

Production: 1997-1999
Style: 2 door coupe
Engine: 2.0L Turbo I4
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic/5 Speed Manual
Layout: Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive
Power Output: 210 HP

Last edited:
Seconds gens were on a completely different level of coolness compared to, say, the third and forth.

Voting 'Uncool' for this one goes to show how I feel about the 21st Century models. Not that I don't like the second gen - regardless of the drivetrain - or even the Eagle variants. But they're rather unremarkable 90s coupes that happened to diffuse into the tuner scene. So it falls below 'Meh' as far as coolness is concerned.

I love the looks of this car, but it's ruined by how much you'll look like an ignorant teenager if you buy one. Uncool.

I gotta vote cool because I love the appearance of it... but the performance is a joke. It should have had RWD, to compete with the Supra and the RX-7. The 3000GT idea didn't really work.

Very, very low cool. Better than a Celica.

I gotta vote cool because I love the appearance of it... but the performance is a joke. It should have had RWD, to compete with the Supra and the RX-7. The 3000GT idea didn't really work.

But this car was never meant to compete with the Supra or FD...

And you could at least drive a Celica because they didn't blow up at monthly intervals, though both sucked in a lot of ways.

Voted uncool because timebomb that is typically driven by kids with more attitude than sense. Seriously uncool reserved for the later generations.

Head gasket issues on the base models. Crankshaft blowing out of the bottom of the motor issues on the top models. Floorpan-falling-off-at-speed issues on (presumably) all of the models. Plus exploding in a fireball whenever someone yells near one.

Most unreliable car ever.

It needed to be RWD to compete with those two cars that were nothing like it (and weren't even sold concurrently, for one of them)?

The favourite of many a ricer, and a reminder of the good ol' Fast and Furious and Need for Speed days when neons and chrome taillights were the rage. Cool. :D

A car designed specifically for women to drive, yet here in the States, they're driven almost exclusively by teenage boys who use more hair product, and own more pairs of matching shoes and outfits than most women. Seriously uncool.

I used to like this car a lot in the 90's.

Still like the car, but shortly after that F&F came out and kids started ricing them out and painting them like Easter eggs.

Add to that the reliability issues, balances out to a "meh".

The GSX would get an uncool, because it's the one with the AWD, but it's still an Eclipse.

This, without the AWD, is seriously uncool.

90% of the Mitsu Eclipses I've seen on the street are completely RUINED.

It's like the car takes damage by merely looking at it... Also, they are poorly tuned by Reggaetoneros and Pseudo-Ricers...

Yep, Mexican Eclipses have an awful life :indiff:...

Still, I'll rate it as Cool because Fast and Furious 1, Need for Speed Undergroud 1 & 2, and Paul Walker... And because I really like the car... both stock and properly tuned...

Why not just remove the "GS-T" from the title, you're covering the base models, the GS-T, as well as the GSX.

Despite the mechanical problems that have been listed above, I stlll always liked them. Yes, I did want one when I was 18 haha. Regardless of the movie, and how riced out most of them turn out (shouldnt even consider that with your vote anyways) I still vote this as cool.

I just don't like FWD "sports" cars like this, they could be so much more with RWD.

Crap, doubleposted.

I like them and I like their appearence (the only one I've seen in real life wasn't riced out), but ricer community ruins the reputations and coolness in general of the thing. Uncool

Later models are seriously uncool

I think it's unfair to vote on these because of modifications that might be done to them. Any car can be riced out, it just so happens that these are more often riced. It's the same reason why nominations can't be custom-made or tuned. We vote on the pure, stock version of the car.

I think it's unfair to vote on these because of modifications that might be done to them. Any car can be riced out, it just so happens that these are more often riced. It's the same reason why nominations can't be custom-made or tuned. We vote on the pure, stock version of the car.

No, it's not them riced, it's the ricer community that's all. And they are tremendoulsy uncool

I just don't like FWD "sports" cars like this, they could be so much more with RWD.

Crap, doubleposted.

You realize there was an AWD variant that people made hilariously fast? And they would have cost so much more with RWD that they'd never really sell.

I've never been a fan of the Eclipse. The styling is bland beyond belief, and technically it isn't interesting or ground breaking in any way.

Throw in the whole link to the modding scene, and it goes from a sports car that doesn't try hard enough to one that tries way too hard, which is even worse.

Seriously, seriously uncool.

Uncool, because it looks better than the '06 model by a longshot, but that's not really saying much.

The interior isn't helping things:
1999_mitsubishi_eclipse_gs-pic-2469586847965093250.jpeg

That looks way too "driver centered" and sporty for what basically amounts to a sensible, economic, unreliable car. The GSX keeps it above Seriously Uncool by a hair, but no amount of modification can change the fact that at it's heart even my grandmother would think the car is a little too plain.
800px-97-99_Mitsubishi_Eclipse_convertible.jpg

But man, that bump in the hood so the timing belt can fit sure will make for some fun "that's for the turbo" comments.

Last edited:
Back