Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe​
2007_07_22_001.jpg

1997-Mitsubishi-FTO-GP_Version_R_1.jpg

e0d8682dcc.jpg

mitsubishi_fto_e904_%20100.jpg

3702b51723.jpg

d37932b465.jpg

Little sports car that was sold alongside the Evo 5 and 6.

Cannot remember the last time I saw one of these either and sadly I'd imagine a lot of them have been butchered!

For me it's already starting to knock on the classic car door.

Cool.

The little 6cyl can produce a nice note as well. Most of them are unfortunately riced out though. I don't think I've ever seen a nice one.

Hey, look! A Mitsubishi with actual Charisma (see what I did there)!

Well, it is true, the FTO is a underrated gem from Mitsu. A well-honed V6 engine, light weight and smooth handling really make the GP Version R quite the good proposition as a sports car. Unfortunately, much like its rival, the Honda Integra, it still suffers from owners who like to over-rice them. Fortunately, as the Version R isn't the most common version of the FTO and it's closing in on classic status (I agree with @SVT Cobra GT on this, it should be a neoclassic by now), it should put future owners off from going full-blown "JDM rice brah" on them.

Find a well-sorted stock car, and cherish it. You'll have a good car in your hands. Cool.

Last edited:
Solid COOL. Light weight, small six cylinder that likes revs and sleek two-door body and manual. There isn't much to complain about.

I concur. It's a modern classic. You don't see many of them, but when you do it's very special; they're typically in the hands of careful owners who look after them and don't ruin them.

Other colours are available, of course; these things are gorgeous in black or green.

A very, very cool car.

An unmolested Version R is cool. Properly sorted, good looking little sports car from Mitsubishi's hayday. Even with the big aero appendages, it still looks tasteful. Also, blue seats and tiny V6. Zany Japanese engineering at its best.

The model as a whole is meh though, at least to me; so many on UK roads that have been absolutely thrashed now and are slowly starting to die, but it's still a niche enough thing to not be bought by a completely questionable customer base.

A fast, FF sports car with an awesome I6 and a perfect rival to the Integra Type R of the era. In stock form I give it an SZ

Decent drive train (with a manual box), so not SU, but Jesus, that body kit is terrible.

You'd need a bag over your head to drive one :lol:

Uncool

Earlier models are more plentiful and some more desirable. Though they're more likely to be subjected to the wrath of tasteless modifications. While this gives off a similar aura to the EK Civic Type-R. There's just something about seeing a primarily-stock, less-than-common performance model that makes it seem rather special.

Cool.

an awesome I6

There's nothing straight about this 6.

Last edited:
A lovely throwback to the early Gran Turismo instalments. Sadly, it's difficult to make an FTO attractive and often (but not always) it finds itself victim to vehicular molestation.

Styling alone makes it uncool, the fact that every single one of these I've seen has a horrible aftermarket body kit and wing makes it SU.

Fell in love with this car in GT3. Put an insane amount of miles on it and have always liked this car since that game. I have only seen a couple in real life.

A very rare, sharp looking sports car with an intriguing engine set up. It's not so niche as its relative, the Lancer Evo, which most non-car people would decry as an ugly, nerdy, or boy racer sort of thing, but I think those same people would actually be intrigued by the FTO. Solid cool.

Low Sub-Zero. A sharp looking Mitsubishi sports car from back when they were cool. They are better than some Evo generations, and it is a throwback to the early days of Gran Turismo. The molested FTOs, however, bring my love for this car down a bit.

I gave it a Meh rating. The only cool thing about them was the 2.0 v6 MIVEC, though it was only about 20hp more powerful than the 1.6 MIVEC in the Mirage ZR, which is what I bought instead of this, because it was more fun and cheaper.

Love the FTO, and considered buying one many moons ago. Has some JDM cred, but lest we forget, people who use terms like "JDM" in general conversation are probably not that cool. Sadly for the FTO, in the UK at least it's also suffered at the hands of those snapping up cheap performance cars following the import boom, and now most are either badly modified or wrecked.

Would have been a cool car brand-new, but too many factors conspire against it at the moment. In 20 years, when only a handful of them are left, it'll be a cool car again.
Low cool. Stylish car, but my friend in Okinawa says they are disappointing to drive.
I quite liked the one I test drove, and that wasn't even the full-on GPX or GPvR. Engine sounded great, steering was responsive, seemed to corner fairly flat. Not driven one for years now so I might return to them and discover they're appalling, but it seemed okay to me.

I think the body kit of the Version R spoils what is otherwise a very pretty car.

I really like the FTO, and I'd certainly be interested if I saw one drive by, but I think to most it'll look rather too oik-ish. Uncool, I'm afraid.

Latest Posts

Back