Body Style: 2 door coupé
Engine: 2.8L turbocharged I6
Power: 395 hp
Torque: 346 ft-lbs
Weight: 1550 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engined, all wheel drive
Additional Information:
Launched in November 1997, the 400R was inspired by the Skyline GT-R LM which had raced at Le Mans in 1995 and 1996. An extensive re-working of the R33 GT-R, Nismo left no stone unturned in its quest to build the ultimate road-going Skyline.

Firstly, the car loses the RB26DETT engine found in most Skylines and replaces it with the Le Mans-proven RB-X GT2 unit engineered by Reinik, the motorsport department of Nissan's own powertrain division. Featuring a reinforced block that was bored and stroked to make 2771cc, the twin-turbo straight-six RB-X GT2 makes 395bhp at 6800rpm and 347lb ft at 4400rpm.

Nismo didn't stop there, fitting a 50 percent lighter carbon driveshaft, titanium front strut-brace, adjustable carbonfibre rear wing, a carbonfibre bonnet and forged three-piece wheels. The revised bodywork makes way for a 50mm increase in track but also helps bring better cooling. Finally, stiffer bushes, Bilstein dampers and a 30mm drop in ride height complete the package.

Just 44 examples of the Nissan Skyline GT-R Nismo 400R were hand-built at Nismo's Omori factory in Japan, making it without doubt one of the rarest Skylines ever created.

tumblr_m6xekyfH9Y1qk65n6o1_r3_1280.jpg
nismo400r_waifu2x_photo_noise3_tta_1.png
dsc_9450_49269.jpg
Nismo400R_12.jpg
1996-nissan-gt-r-r33-nismo-400r_3.jpg

Last edited:
Did the 400R get a different transmission? I'm reasonably sure the car has a 5-speed.

If it weren't for Gran Turismo, I would know next to nothing about this.

An R33 GT-R, beefed up to ~400HP, tuned by Nissan's in-house tuning company?

Very high cool.

Did the 400R get a different transmission? I'm reasonably sure the car has a 5-speed.

You are absolutely right. The R34 is the one with the 6-speed, not the R33. Silly mistake on my part, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Might have been really common during the GT games, but it was back then NISMO was still cool. And this is based on the R33 generation, my absolute fave, and to have a tuned variant of it? That's just the icing on the cake.

It was also, funnily enough, the Gold Medal reward for GT1, which is perfectly worth it for me. Wish I was japanese and had the money to own one.

That being said, S-Z.

Sub-Zero because I was able to gold all the IA tests in the first Gran Turismo game. Seriously Uncool otherwise.

I don't really want to vote meh, and I'm torn between cool (non-R34 Skyline because F&F if you're wondering, Nismo, GT) and uncool (wing, stripes) for that reason. I'll skip this one.

Normally this would be Uncool, even seriously so because Gran Turismo and it looks a bit ricey to be honest. But the R33 is the only cool GT-R, because people forget about it. To me, the best GT-R. A faster, harder, better, rarer than unicorn poo, built by the in-house tuning division, this 400R has to have a cool vote from me.

I've said before that the R33 was my favorite Skyline, and this, alongside the 1995 Nismo Skyline GT-R LM Road Car, are my favorite cars of that generation.

Sub-Zero.

To anyone who likes 90s Japanese sports cars (or basically anyone who has played the early GT games and happens to like cars) this is an incredible Japanese sports car from the 90s. To everyone else this is no different than a bright orange Opel Tigra with a silly spoiler for instance.

Last edited:
Don't see the ricer in it, considering plenty of other cars these days have more aero junk going on. Seems more of an archetype for today's aero kit supercars than ricer, but that's just me. I gave it cool when I'd normally give non-driven historic super like cars uncool because of the non driven factor.

Last edited:
I know it's a car for ricers, but still, those numbers speak for themselves. Apart from the weight. Medium cool.

Back