GTP Cool Wall: 1999-2004 Ford SVT F150 Lightning

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 99 comments

1999-2004 Ford SVT F150 Lightning

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These things are cool! We owned a muffler shop years ago and did work on one of these. It's like being in the Millennium Falcon going into hyperspace!

I hadn't read this thread in a while, and it surprises me that people are trying to find a point or a purpose for this truck, and then linking that to it being cool. Can it be that hard to see that Ford sells enough pick ups to be able to make an absolutely absurd, pointless and fun one that will on top of that serve as hallo car and help them sell more? Just the fact that they make this loony thing is cool.

Keyword here is fun. Fun cars are mostly cool.

Sure, it's really fast in a straight line, but for 5.4 litres, let alone a supercharged 5.4 litres, 380bhp is pretty sad, yes even in 1999... when it only had 360bhp(?) Look at the Ford GT, I get that it had to be slightly detuned, but they missed a huge opportunity to have more power, it's been seriously neutered. And don't say it made it more reliable, check out its history, it had heaps of issues.l.
Its a different version of the 5.4. The F150 Lightning is a SOHC 16v and the Ford GT is a DOHC 32 valve so there is going to be a huge power difference. BTW the European ones did have issues but I knew a few US owners with no problems beyond the recall on a small #s control arms.

Also, one thing I didn't mention in my previous post: at least it isn't the Harley-Davidson Edition, which is massively SU. Why?

-Same engine, less power & torque (even less than the early versions of this model Lightning)
-Still an automatic
-Crew cab
-Anything that has a Harley-Davidson logo on it but isn't actually a motorcycle (or maybe someone with an HD tatoo) is auto SU.

Originally I wanted to mention the somewhat blingy aesthetic modifications, but I think they actually work pretty well.

800px-Ford_F-150_Harley_Davidson_--_02-16-2010.jpg

Although I think Motor Trend once tested one (over 10 years ago now) that was black and gray with orange trim, which might not have looked quite so good.

It is a ford, so uncool.
It had a horrid engine, uncool
It is a failmatic, uncool.

Thus Seriously Uncool
How is the engine horrid? 5.4s can make some serious power. I know of a 900hp turbo Lightning here in Albuquerque.

IMHO in regards to the HD Ford truck. I think ANYTHING HD including the motorcycles is Seriously massively uncool but I am a HD hater. "Yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices"

In stock forum 5.4s are absolutely terrible engines in my opinion, at least first gen ones. And thats coming from a diehard Ford man.

Back