GTP Cool Wall: 2001-2003 Toyota Estima Hybrid (XR30)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 49 comments

2001-2003 Toyota Estima Hybrid (XR30)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2001-2003 Toyota Estima Hybrid (XR30) nominated by @Grandea GTR

toyota_estima_13041.jpg

Body Style:
4-door minivan
Engine: 2.4L 2AZ-FXE I4
Power: 130 hp + 17 hp HSD front motor, 24 hp rear motor
Torque: 140 lb-ft
Weight: 1850 kg
Transmission: CVT automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive / all wheel drive with HSD
Additional Information: Released in June 2001, Toyota claims that the Estima Hybrid is the world's first hybrid minivan.​

pic_toyota_estima_9008.jpg

pic_toyota_estima_9009.jpg

pic_toyota_estima_9012.jpg

pic_toyota_estima_9005.jpg

1024px-2001-2003_Toyota_Estima_Hybrid.jpg

2001-2003_Toyota_Estima_Hybrid_rear.jpg

You let your loins dictate what you drive and you feel a social conscience to make it a hybrid. Yeah, that ain't cool.

SU.

Admittedly, I always though that the 2nd generation Estima/Previa design was way ahead of most other cars on the road here back in 2001. Almost as if nothing else from the '00s outside of Japan could come close to matching it.

Looking at it since 2010-ish however, it's easy to say that they really have aged shockingly over the decade. Not like the original front-mid Previa which has more character than any other MPV sold in Europe since the T2. Sure, 1st gens were never the prettiest but they do still hold up well even today in an unashamedly-forward-thinking '90s sort of way. Especially the uggo Lucida version.

Hybrid motors or not, this one was never even close to being 1% as cool as it's processor. And even those are uncool at best.

Last edited:
Seriously uncool. Without looking at the year, I am honestly unable to determine if this was designed in 1985, 1997, 2003, or 2016...it's like the epitome of one of those generic vehicles in car insurance commercials.

Even if they're different classes, compared to the first gen Prius, the Prius is quite good looking compared to this. And I'm guilty of liking the visual of the first prius. This however, the first hybrid minivan? Doesn't interest me, a single damn bit.

Utterly ghastly--those sculpted sides (which, frankly, any minivan/MPV really needs to break up that large area) make it look like it was widened for some sort of one-make series and then squeezed back down so only the outer reveal remains. Still, the fact that it's a minivan and not a sporting car (on which similar features would detract to a greater degree) saves it from hitting SU in my book. Uncool.

When you're the only person (as of so far) who voted cool for the minivan

Anywho, I have a bit of a soft spot for minivans, especially the 2nd-gen Estima.
There's something about the simple looks and colour combinations that make it look good. To my eyes, at least.

Cool.

Uncool minivan. Automatic. Seriously Uncool. CVT, SERIOUSLY uncool, ugly....

bleh. Seriously Uncool. Hope it goes to hell, would be interesting to see something get there.

TB
Yyes, yes, we get it. Let the horse decompose in peace.

Horse? Given the (auto-)auto-hate, I half-expected someone to use the term "sheeple" un-ironically.

Back