• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
2002-2006 Subaru Baja nominated by @DCybertron
upload_2015-2-24_20-38-58-png.316224

Engines:
2.5L H4 (Subaru EJ251), 2.5L H4 (Subaru EJ253), 2.5L Turbo H4 (Subaru EJ255)
Power: NA: 173 hp; Turbo: 230 hp
Torque: NA: 166 lb-ft.; Turbo: 235 lb-ft.
Weight: 1580-1664 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door truck
Additional Info: "It's styled after the Baja racing trucks, and at first, was only offered in yellow and silver."​

A less practical Legacy for people who want their stuff stolen. Seriously uncool.

It's similar to a Subaru BRAT, but not quite good enough to be cool. If I wanted to buy a practical Legacy, I'd rather buy an Outback. And then there's the fact that it isn't as cool as say, an Australian Ute, because those at least have a mighty V8 (in certain cases) under the hood. The Baja still has a whiff of "white goods" about it, it doesn't really tick my fancy.

I'm afraid it's uncool. Although @SVX's picture is quite impressive, never thought I'd see one of those on a track...

I love this thing. If I could, I'd import one into the UK, strip it, convert it to RHD, and add STI, WRX, or Legacy GT-B running gear.

Disappointingly named Baja when it doesn't have the radials of a large mud plugger.

Yeah, I forgot to say that; they called it the "Baja", but they didn't go for a recreation of a Baja racing truck that's road legal. How come? It would be a very interesting car to create...

SVX
1. Buy Baja
2. Import over here (none in NZ at the moment, unsure if they even came here)
3. Buy GT-B off us
4. Swap
5. ???
6. Profit

:P
Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost me to import one of your GT-Bs to the UK...

Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost me to import one of your GT-Bs to the UK...

If it helps, shipping costs were about $1500 to $2000 from Japan (I have all of the importation papers out so I'll check them out tomorrow and get back to you), which is more or less the same distance to UK.

SVX
If it helps, shipping costs were about $1500 to $2000 from Japan (I have all of the importation papers out so I'll check them out tomorrow and get back to you), which is more or less the same distance to UK.
Oh, I'm not that serious :lol:

Well, not for 5-10 years...

A Legacy wagon without a bootlid. A good idea if you're in Australia, not so good if you're in the UK.

Uncool.

It just looks so... Awkward. I mean, it looks like they just cut off the roof in the back and created a bed to.. Put things in. I don't like the two tone paint job either. Uncool.

I can see what they went for. "Oh, let's take the successful Legacy platform and use it to build a new-age BRAT, only let's not call it a BRAT because people don't think cool car when they think about the BRAT".

They succeeded admirably in creating an hodge-podge of concepts which had a lot of potential, and lost it along the way. Meh.

I generally like odd utes, but that body-cladding looks like it was designed by the Aztek B-Team... in the 90's.

The Subaru Brat was infinitely cooler.

People would ask, why you drive a lifted, half grey, half yellow, saloon, of which you have cut the boot-lid off. Seriously uncool.

Last edited:
I really like these, but the only one you want is the only one everyone wants, and all of the other ones you might as well get an Outback sedan with the 6.

I still find this infinitely amusing though:
Subaru_Baja_with_Cap.jpg

Last edited:
Back