• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
2002-2012 Land Rover Range Rover nominated by @Legro
4f697d5f2f337-jpg.331805

Engines:
4.4L V8 (BMW M62), 3.0L Turboiesel I6 (BMW M57), 4.2L Supercharged V8 (Land Rover AJ33S), 4.4L V8 (Jaguar AJ41), 3.6L Twin-Turbodiesel V8 (Ford AJD-V8), 5.0L V8 (Jaguar AJ133), 5.0L Supercharged V8 (Land Rover LR-V8 Petrol), 4.4L Turbodiesel V8 (Ford 4.4 TD)
Power: M62: 286 hp; M57: 175 hp; AJ33S: 395 hp; AJ41: 302 hp; AJD-V8: 268 hp; AJ133: 370 hp; LR-V8 Petrol: 503 hp; 4.4 TD: 309 hp
Torque: M62: 325 lb-ft.; M57: 288 lb-ft.; AJ33S: 413 lb-ft.; AJ41: 325 lb-ft.; AJD-V8: 472 lb-ft.; AJ133: 376 lb-ft.; LR-V8 Petrol: 461 lb-ft.; 4.4 TD: 516 lb-ft.
Weight: 2592-2710 kg
Transmission: 5-speed automatic, 6-speed automatic, 8-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door SUV
Additional Info: "Originally developed under BMW ownership and had some BMW sourced parts and engines, which were later replaced by Ford and Jaguar-Land Rover developed parts."​

Last edited:
Great off-roader, terrible owner reputation. Sadly, the "Chelsea Tractor" namesake is often tied to Range Rovers being driven by people with more money than taste. Don't get me wrong, it's a tremendous luxury off-road car, it'll go anywhere you want. Unfortunately, most owners only go as far as the local ASDA/Walmart/insert local supermarket chain here parking lot, and that's a grave misuse of the car.

Therefore, the Range Rover can't get a Sub-Zero rating. But because of the excellent engineering that it has, and the abuse it can take for a luxury SUV (you won't see an Escalade do the things a Range Rover does, that's for sure), it deserves at least a cool rating.

Its own creator grew to hate them because of who bought them. Says it all.

Uncool, although it just avoids being seriously so as it at least good as a car from an objective viewpoint.

The only issue i have with an SUV this big is the fact that it has no seats in the boot, which is what its competitors mostly have.

The nomination wasn't supposed to include the even less cool Range Rover Sport.
The engines for the Sport were included in the nomination so I assumed the nomination was for the 2002-2012 Range Rover as a whole.

The engines for the Sport were included in the nomination so I assumed the nomination was for the 2002-2012 Range Rover as a whole.
The Sport is completely different car, the Range Rover is its own car, the Sport is rebodied Land Rover Discovery III with Range Rover's engines. And the 2006-2013 Sport wasn't discontinued in 2012.

The SUV that pretty much spawned incompetent and incredibly over-compensating SUV drivers.

And while soccer mums can sometimes be hot, they have never been, and never will be, cool.

Most comprehensive luxury SUV on the market it may be, but the Range Rover has only one place to go with all of the Uncoolness it exudes.

If only it were more reliable.... Hahaha, that still wouldn't save it from SU.

As long as you avoid the horrendously uneconomical petrol engines, probably the best all round car you can buy.

Quick enough, comfortable, loads of space for 4 and their luggage, ability to go anywhere, fabulous interiors. And they are reliable as long as you buy the later models in each production cycle.

1st car I'd buy with a lottery win.

In Australia, a Range Rover is known as a 'Toorak tractor' (though the proliferation of X5s and Cayennes could also qualify). Uncool.

The Best Generation of Range Rover build wise, only issue is it's just as unreliable as the previous generations.

Problem is, with its new found prestige it got into the hands of more footballers and celebreties of illfame.

That alone makes it uncool.

The car itself is a masterpiece though, think of it like an Escalade but its quality is as good as it's sales not the otherway around.

It does almost everything you could ask for it to do, it's nice to sit in, it's nice to drive if you don't expect it to be a sportscar, it pulls a trailer just as well as and in most cases much better than any other car if you live in Europe, it can do some serious off-roading, the later V8 ones have enough torque to overtake a lorry on some of the smaller roads while pulling a trailer with a car, the latest diesel can also get just as good fuel economy as a 10 year old hatchback, and it can burn your arse on the back seat if you want it to do so.

There are some problems with it, though, the earlier ones are to put it bluntly, crap, it's impossible to drive normally in cities, and almost none of the people who bought one will use its capabilities. Seriously uncool.

Back