GTP Cool Wall: 2002 Mazda MX-5 SP

2002 Mazda MX-5 SP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My definition of "cool" is the ability of a car to get a random, attractive potential partner to knock boots with the driver.

That would be a sexy car. Panty-dropper sort of deal. That prospect is entirely dependent on what kinds of garments you're looking to drop. Muscle cars and trucks will work on denim shorts, supercars will work on thongs.

MX-5's? I'm thinking boxers and briefs.

Cute, understated, yet masculine convertible sports car?

Too bad there's no backseat to do it in...

The MX-5 is not masculine. It is cute though, and as many friend-zone single men discover, being friendly and non-intimidating is not the way into that avenue.

That would be a sexy car. Panty-dropper sort of deal. That prospect is entirely dependent on what kinds of garments you're looking to drop. Muscle cars and trucks will work on denim shorts, supercars will work on thongs.

MX-5's? I'm thinking boxers and briefs.

The MX-5 is not masculine. It is cute though, and as many friend-zone single men discover, being friendly and non-intimidating is not the way into that avenue.

Different strokes (kinda weird pun kinda intended?) for different folks, I suppose. I just don't particularly care for the "Uncool because X" posts.

The counter of "Cool because Y" is hardly any different. And yet...

Welp, ya caught me in a slip. Kudos.

However, my all-encompassing Miata statement comes from my opinion that the original Miata is cool, and all the various types, generations, and editions do not make any significant impact one way or the other, as they are all basically the same car. The only real exception to this rule would be for the Mazdaspeed edition, which I would rate slightly less cool.

This is different than the typical "SU because supercar" or "SZ because Alfa" due to the wildly varying cars contained in those categories.

For example, I would rate the Lamborghini Murcielago SU due to the boring styling, its relative ubiquity, and the fact that its rap nickname is "Mercy". But I would rate a Carrera GT cool due to ravenous V10, targa top, and interesting (if not beautiful) style.

Same with Alfa. Tipo 33 Stradale? Coolest car to ever exist in my opinion. The 33 Sportwagon that inherited it's name? Uncool in my book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies for prior stupidity, I will now return to regularly scheduled intelligence :P

It's a cute little soft top. It's naturally cool.

It also happens to go like the clappers.

Which means you can pick up treehugging chicks with it and impress them with your sensitive and understated style, AND pick up rock chicks and have them screaming your name from the hilltops as you cane it through the bends.

A car for all seasons, the true multipurpose MX5.

Can also be used for carting Christmas trees. Because that's useful.

Cool... obligatory... its a Miata...

Because the Jalop answer is always Miata...

Like an old Beetle... cool no matter what...

I vote Cool. Sure, its a Miata and we don't get it in America, but by the sounds of its stats, including the 6-speed MT, it sounds like a fun little car. Its not really my cup of tea, but I can respect it. Solid, solid Cool in my book.

Because Jalopnik is so cool, right?
Are you being sarcastic ?? Its really hard to tell the tone of your voice from here...

If you are, its ok, the car is still cool even and especially when people who drive this arent car people ...

i dont think i am a cool person, but most definitely i am jalop, yet i am not driving or own a miata... if i did, i would be cool and jalop...

You're kidding right?

You just don't ****ing get it...

You wonder why almost everyone disagrees with you with statements like that. You really need to just sit down and re-evaluate your life if you plan to continue making saying stupid crap like that.

I don't really see what's so masculine about it honestly. But you all knew that anyways.

I tend to consider any car that's curvy or softly-styled to be feminine, whether it's an NB MX-5 or an SN95 Mustang. Cars that are dorky, ugly, or aggressively styled are masculine, whether it's an E46 M3 or a '70s Civic/Corolla.

Notice it has nothing to do with anything, other than whether a car could be considered "male" or "female" if you desire to refer to it as such.

Not as notorious amongst the Trackday Bro brigade as it is with the NA Miata...

Cool.

Kingsporch.jpg

Here we go again.

Back