GTP Cool Wall: 2003+ Chery QQ/QQ3/IQ/Sweet

2003+ Chery QQ/QQ3/IQ/Sweet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's an unlicenced, reverse engineered copy of a Daewoo.

A Daewoo!

0222039-Chevrolet-Matiz-0.8-Spirit-2005.jpg

Looks better with a Bow tie.

Uncool from me but gotta love the ire and vitriol from some folks, as they use their "Chinese Crap" mouse, keyboard and probably PC, or at least many of the components...rarrrrr!

:eek::banghead:

I...I...wow! Just wow. I already disliked the Daewoo Matiz quite a bit, I thought it was one of the most cheap looking, dull, soulless, and miserable cars ever. Which is how I'm at a lost of words for this car. I'm just astounded and baffled, Chery actually looked at the Matiz and thought it was a good idea to replicate it! A matiz?! Seriously?!

Why, just fricken why?! :banghead:

Seriously uncool! Ultimately uncool for the fact that a car company wanted to copy another car and make it worse. That is triple facepalm worthy. Not to mention that there are so many better small hatchbacks they could have copied, but didn't pick any of them.

EDIT: This video summarizes how I fell about this car.

These, like the Matiz they obviously copied, are just transport. It doesn't attempt to be anything other than cheap transport for the masses. There's certainly nothing cool about it. But there's equally nothing uncool about it either. Meh.

My keyboard, mouse and PC, regardless of their place of actual manufacture or the components therein, weren't backdoor cut-rate copies of something that was already terrible.

That wasn't my point, and all your arguments are sound. Simply stating "Chinese Crap" isn't, and is pretty offensive.

That wasn't my point, and all your arguments are sound. Simply stating "Chinese Crap" isn't, and is pretty offensive.

I didn't see anyone generalising Chinese goods. Just an apt description of the car being polled. I doubt anybody could refute its sub-par build quality, given its woeful safety and reliability record.

I didn't see anyone generalising Chinese goods. Just an apt description of the car being polled. I doubt anybody could refute its sub-par build quality, given its woeful safety and reliability record.

Re-read the posts and you will see one that simply says "Chinese Crap". That seems quite a sweeping generalisation to me. Totally agree that it is a crappy car, but again, that wasn't my point.

Re-read the posts and you will see one that simply says "Chinese Crap".

Considering I wouldn't be responding if I hadn't gone through previous posts beforehand, I'm fully aware of what's been said.

That seems quite a sweeping generalisation to me.

If they'd added something as blatant as " just like everything else they produce", I'd share your mindset.

If they'd added something as blatant as " just like everything else they produce", I'd share your mindset.

But without anything at all to back that up, it does seem somewhat implied. "Crap" would have sufficed. After all, we know where the car is from.

Re-read the posts and you will see one that simply says "Chinese Crap".
Which it is. The Chinese part actually is important in the context of this car. It represents the absolute nadir of Chinese design, coming out on the taillend of the period where their burgeoning automotive industrial base (when it wasn't just manufacturing things for other companies) was focused on taking designs from other places and superficially copying them without actually learning how they work; with the government looking the other way. Whereas something more recent with a serious attempt to export it would not apply, for this it fits pretty well. People don't expect good products from China because most of the time when they get headlines its because their crappy version of a 10 year old Isuzu SUV folds up like a tin can in impacts; or their subcompact/city car is so close to the Western-funded one that it can share body panels but is engineered like a car from the 1980s anyway; or their scratch built midsize sedan that looks like a modern Passat and is supposed to compete with one but performs like a Ford Fairmont.

But without anything at all to back that up, it does seem somewhat implied. "Crap" would have sufficed.
Not really. I'd say the specific circumstances of the Chinese domestic market and government, coupled with the export aspirations some of those companies have for those same inferior unsafe knockoff copies they sell in China, makes the Chinese part a pretty acceptable prefix.

Yeah, "Made in China" being used as a pejorative is quickly becoming just as meaningless as the earlier "Made in Korea" and the even earlier "Made in Japan." Premium products of all sorts and price brackets are either assembled in China, source some sort of componentry from there, or are increasingly designed there. Yet this car, which is still in production, is why those sorts of stereotypes came to exist.

Last edited:
Not really. I'd say the specific circumstances of the Chinese domestic market and government, coupled with the export aspirations some of those companies have for those same inferior unsafe knockoff copies they sell in China, makes the Chinese part a pretty acceptable prefix.

But none of that is implied by simply the word "Chinese", which is my point in the first place. It was given no context or back up whatsoever, you've just added that in. Me just posting "American Crap" for some US car would be just as big a generalisation, and just as potentially offensive.

Anyway I can agree to differ on this. I found it kinda ironic and obnoxious, and still do. You clearly didn't, and that's fine.

But none of that is implied by simply the word "Chinese", which is my point in the first place. It was given no context or back up whatsoever, you've just added that in. Me just posting "American Crap" for some US car would be just as big a generalisation, and just as potentially offensive.

Anyway I can agree to differ on this. I found it kinda ironic and obnoxious, and still do. You clearly didn't, and that's fine.

This car is crap. Even in China, where cars of the time didn't have to meet environmental standards, safety standards or observe intellectual property rights.

Is that better?

"Chinese crap" is an unfair generalization nowadays, given that China makes some excellent cars like the Qin and the 5-series... (as well as most Apple products, and standout Chiense electronics like Xiaomi)... but much of the stigma regarding Chinese automobiles over the past decade came about due to the QQ and many of its imitators... errh... co-imitators.

In which case, the perjorative is completely adequate. Chery, locally, is the industry model studied by all other Chinese car distributors/importers here. Their high-profile failure and collapse (and subsequent tepid recovery) are a sobering lesson in how not to launch a car brand.

The Daewoo Matiz is not a cool car. In fact, it's hard to imagine how it could be any less cool. And then this came along. Well done.

They somehow did it. They managed to make the Matiz... Worse.

Dante Alighieri forgot to carve a place for his abomination in his depiction of Hell.

Do I really even need to explain?
This car just makes you look and feel pretty stupid for not choosing a much better car in its class range.

Seriously Uncool.

Back