Engines:
6.6L Turbodiesel V8 (GM Duramax LLY)
Power: 300 hp
Torque: 520 lb-ft.
Weight: 3559-3681 kg
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door convertible, 4-door wagon
Additional Info: "The Alpha was the most powerful of the H1 lineup and is the most sought-after Hummer among collectors. The H1 Alpha only had one model year (2006) and production started in early 2005 which lasted until mid 2006. Only 691 were built."​
66544f515d53510212668ad49beeede2.jpg

2006_hummer_h1_alpha_100009100_m.jpg

2001_hummer_h1_4_dr_std_turbodiesel_4wd_hardtop-pic-6286382838432637926.jpeg

Hummer_H1_Alpha_Wagon.jpg

Hummer-H1-Alpha-767.jpg

Well... it's a H1. The most powerful H1, but still a H1 nonetheless. And regardless of being one the best things you can take to a desert journey, it won't do its owner many favours. You'll still look like a bellend in the eyes of those who follow you, those who try to park their car next to you, and those who work for Greenpeace.

They are rare, and good off-road, but it's hard to defend it when you consider some of the people who own a car like this (and how much it likes to guzzle fuel). At least it isn't a H3, or one of the newer Hummers...

speaking of which:

does anyone know why the center console is so massive? It looks like the occupants would be cramped for legroom...
also, the steering wheel...lol.
I think it's like that to make room for the transmission.

It's always completely floored me that a ridiculously large, heavy, totally unsporty vehicle would have some sort of tiny Momo-esque steering wheel. Juxtaposition at its finest.

Anyway, yeah, seriously uncool. Cool as a military vehicle, utterly redundant as a road car. At least this wasn't necessarily intended to be a status symbol (despite being very expensive), unlike the H2 or H3 though, so that's something.

H1's are awesome. Rode in one off roading on the dunes/beaches in the Outer Banks of NC last year, wasn't an Alpha though. (Decommissioned Army HMMWV)

Also, like the Excursion polled a while back, they are political incorrectness on wheels today.

Sub Zero.

Alphas are what GM/AM General should have built as soon as the Detroit Diesel was replaced in the Silverado; and they actually put a lot of effort into making it a legitimately improved vehicle as opposed to just slapping a better engine in it (of course, in typical GM fashion they did it so late that people hardly cared and it immediately fell afoul changing laws). And H1s in general are what separated poseurs (H2 buyers) from people who could be legitimately cool, so I'll go Cool.

does anyone know why the center console is so massive? It looks like the occupants would be cramped for legroom...
Because the entire drivetrain behind the engine and most of the box frame is housed in the center console; then halfshafts were tilted at about 40° or so run down to the wheels. That's why it has such huge ground clearance and entry/departure angles without being incredibly tall to match (but also partially why it is so ridiculously wide). It's lot like the 1950s GM X-Frame, except instead of being used for making the car body as low as possible it was used to raise the frame as high as possible.

This does a good job showing how much of the frame sits within the body:

F98861013.jpg

Basically its a compromise to allow some of the benefits of a unibody

Last edited:
speaking of which:

I just want to add to what @Tornado said- it's a military vehicle, so you can keep you weapons and equipment there and use it as a floor for a turret gunner.

Honestly, no one cares for Hummers. H2's and H3's mostly, I loev H1's witha passion, they look awesome in teh mud, proper offroaders, and this is an alpha version...which is the best of the H1's, I guess.

I like a good offroader but that inerior, killed the sub-zero vote. That's a low cool.

As cool as I thought they were when I was a kid, I don't think it's quite as cool now. I suppose it probably fits the analogy of "elephants are cool to admire, but not to have as a pet" better than other cars. Wouldn't be too crazy about driving a vehicle this size.

A saving grace for this particular generation of Hummer is that it's most faithful to the original vehicle. The fact that it's not a "Soccer Mom" Hummer saves it from Seriously Uncool.

Uncool.

I love seeing eco-nuts at Greenpeace freak out over trucks like this, so SZ. It's a badass off-road vehicle, although it's practically useless on public roads. Bulky, guzzles gas, and looks like it'll kick your ass, like every proper American car should. :cool:

Personally I think the H3 is cooler and I like Hummers. But I can imagine all of them would get a seriously uncool.

These things look so out of place and so very good going down Dutch roads. Whether it's the civilian or military version. Guy in my town has one of each, and he does everything with them. Plowing through mud, grocery shopping.

So cool.

As much as I'm not a fan of US military hardware, I think the Hummer is actually pretty cool. It's a legit off-roader that can go anywhere it damn well pleases.

Back