United Kingdom
2005-2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX nominated by @Murcie_LP640

b0d5ef1535d835da90b43c95760889ca.jpg

Body Style: 4-door sedan, 5-door wagon
Engine: 4G63 turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L I4
Power: 268-287 hp
Torque: 253-289 lb-ft
Weight: 1310-1490 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 5-speed INVECS-II tiptronic automatic
Drivetrain: front-engine, all-wheel drive
Additional Information: The 9th generation of Mitsubishi's rally-bred Lancer Evolution line and the last of the CT9A Lancer platform before moving to the CJ Lancer for the Evo X.

There were minor changes over the VIII, however the most notable was the IX was the first and only Evo to have a wagon variant. 2500 wagons were built and had GT, GT-A (with the Evo VII GT-A running gear except for a smaller and more responsive turbo) and MR trims.​

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-ix-mr-gsr-01.jpg
mitsubishi-lancer-evo-ix-gt-11.jpg
cache.php.jpg
0701_c+2007_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_IX_wagon+04.jpg
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_IX-2005-1024-06.jpg

Evos in general to me are like this,

Cool for More unusual models (The Wagon in this case),
Meh when stock,
Seriously Uncool when Modified to death.

So overall, Low Meh.

The last of the CT9A spec Evo's, and the last good looking Evo, before the rather ugly CJ ruined things IMO. Find it very hard to separate this and the Impreza from the same era, but both are cool if you ask me.

So with this being a kind of "last of a generation" type Evo, plus it seems to have a better image compared to the Impreza of the same era (not that I care), so overall a solid cool.

Last edited:
Very capable car, but not cool in the slightest.
Care to elaborate? I have nothing against your opinion, but what makes this car not cool?

Care to elaborate? I have nothing against your opinion, but what makes this car not cool?
It's tacky looking and has a massive fan base (like almost all other Lancer Evos). Neither of those two things are cool.

I was mostly partial to Lancer Evolutions over the Subaru Impreza if not because they tend to look more aggressive and stylish. Not to mention if I see one of the two, more often than not, it's going to be a WRX Impreza rather than an Evolution. Some of the dudebros who own them I can take or leave, but overall I don't think they really hurt the coolness of this car.

I'm running with cool on this one.

I'm almost certain I've seen this thing polled before, or was it the VIII. Either way, it's not cool in any way shape or form.

Well, it doesn't look fat and dumpy like the Evo X does, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table over the last version and just seemed to be coasting on the model's gradually fading WRC reputation, although this could easily be attributed to Mitsubishi having almost no marketing presence in North America for the last 15 years or so. I forgot we even had a Mitsu dealer here until I drove past it last week.

Also, as much as I'm a total mark for sport wagons, the Evo wagon looks more like a minivan that shrank in the washing machine. The mile-high brake lights and fake vents at their corners just spoil the rear end completely.

A very solid "meh". The point in the Evo's life where it had just made the decision to stop working out and instead hang around bars, trying to score free drinks by telling stories of how it used to be a pro athlete and totally knew that one famous guy, but left because the backdoor politics were just getting to be too much man.

Uncool? Unlikely.

It can obliterate far more reputable and faster sports cars while being easy on your wallet. It can also swallow a family of four. And their luggage.

The only problem is the image it has owing to street racers, otherwise there is nothing uncool about it. On a contrary.

If someone turned up to my house in that to take my daughter out on a date, I'd let him get halfway to the front door before I set the dog on him.
Then, I'd let the door hit him, where the dog bit him.
Uncool.

while being easy on your wallet

Uhhhhhh.... No.

On the face of it Evos are actually one of the more expensive Japanese performance cars to run, what with their extremely short servicing intervals, extreme love of premium unleaded (the earlier ones also had pitifully small fuel tanks meaning an effective range of about 400km if you weren't caning it... And about 250 if you were) and extra drivetrain bits like the AYC that require their own special fluid... Oh and the tyre consumption... And brake rotor/pad replacement costs...

Sure it has a lot of performance but at the end of the day it's a Lancer with, realistically, the running costs of something far more expensive.

Uhhhhhh.... No.

On the face of it Evos are actually one of the more expensive Japanese performance cars to run, what with their extremely short servicing intervals, extreme love of premium unleaded (the earlier ones also had pitifully small fuel tanks meaning an effective range of about 400km if you weren't caning it... And about 250 if you were) and extra drivetrain bits like the AYC that require their own special fluid... Oh and the tyre consumption... And brake rotor/pad replacement costs...

Sure it has a lot of performance but at the end of the day it's a Lancer with, realistically, the running costs of something far more expensive.
I meant easy on wallet when comparing the Evo with European rivals from the same period. In terms of what you get for a price, the Evo is in its own class. Other cars may have better reputation, but are usually far more expensive initially and to service, don't offer same level of performance or aren't as practical.

Uncool without the Faster & Furiouser baggage, but as fast as the fanboys want these to be, they just aren't fast enough to outrun it. S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y U-N-C-O-O-L.

Other cars may have better reputation, but are usually far more expensive initially and to service, don't offer same level of performance or aren't as practical.

Everything has a compromise. In the case of an Evo it's exactly what I said, at the end of the day you have the performance of much more expensive vehicles wrapped up in a Lancer VR-X and all that entails.

Also more expensive to service isn't necessarily true either. Nor is less practicality. Sure the Evo IX has an optional wagon variant but you're not exactly going to have one as your only car any time soon, because of the other pitfalls that come with having race car performance in an econobox - I'm sure you'd agree there's more to practicality than how many doors it has and how many people it can seat.

Last edited:
Much as I love the Evo I'm still very aware that it's not a cool car. And the IX isn't even one of the more notable models. In my mind, anyway.

Sure the Evo IX has an optional wagon variant but you're not exactly going to have one as your only car any time soon, because of the other pitfalls that come with having race car performance in an econobox - I'm sure you'd agree there's more to practicality than how many doors it has and how many people it can seat.
That's true, but when you consider getting the most practical car from this type of cars, you don't have much of a choice. The Evo is one of the best - if not the best - car you can buy to meet this criteria.

Whenever I compare it to cars like the Audi RS4 or a Porsche, I know it can't be uncool. It could be uncool for the image it gets from street racing world or the looks, (the two above are better ranked in this), but things drastically change when you consider all the factors a regular person would judge before purchasing such car.

Latest Posts

Back