GTP Cool Wall: 2005-2011 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG

  • Thread starter Thread starter GranTurismo916
  • 47 comments
  • 7,688 views

2005-2011 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG


  • Total voters
    129
  • Poll closed .
My thoughts-
oh, it's absolutely ugly with the nose. As far as the whole package goes, I much prefer the R170 in terms of design.
This is way too expensive (when new) and potent to be a hair dressers car :lol:
it's got a gr8 v8 and the m8's go :drool:
with the top down, it has a whopping 6 cu ft of trunk space, which is nearly double that of the R170s.

It's a cool from me because it's a well built, unsuspecting V8 roadster
 
Supposedly a huge step up from the previous model in terms of sportiness.

However nice it is, though, F1 inspired styling automatically makes it uncool.

Scratch that... The horribly ugly F1 inspired nose makes it seriously uncool.
 
Am I the only one that don't find these cars ugly as all sin? I've always liked these things, and the hairdresser stereotype doesn't aply over here because, well, Mercedes money, even for the normal one. All the times I've seen this car, it's been on enthusiasts hands that knew what it was, as it seems if you had bags of money the last Mercedes you'd look at is the smaller one.

And V8.

Cool for me.
 
I love this car. I'd have a hell of a time choosing between the SLK 55 Black and the SL 65 Black to go in my 3 car garage.

Sub Zero for me
Uncool for everybody else

So either meh or cool.

Cool because AMG and 🤬 everybody else's opinion :mischievous:
This is possibly the most contradictory post ever made. Well done.
 
This is possibly the most contradictory post ever made. Well done.

How so? I like the car, and don't particularly care if anyone else does or not. But I took the popular opinion into account so I was at least somewhat objective. Seems fair to me.

PS: A sense of humor is sometimes required in order to fully understand my posts, so bring it with you next time, okay? :sly:
 
Jeremy Clarkson owns one, so if we were going by actual Cool Wall rules it'd be seriously uncool for that reason alone. Take from that what you will.

Personally, I do like the idea of a small, pretty convertible with a powerful V8 shoved under the bonnet, but its simply too understated. It resembles a normal, smaller engined SLK which doesn't turn heads at all really, whilst the Black Series has a bit too much going on. Balances out to a meh.
 
Small roadster with a huge engine is a recipe for a barrel of laughs.

Cool.
 
It's still a girl's car. The fact that it's tuned by AMG doesn't make a difference. I voted meh.
 
Should have had a ragtop.

Uncool.
 
How so? I like the car, and don't particularly care if anyone else does or not. But I took the popular opinion into account so I was at least somewhat objective. Seems fair to me.

PS: A sense of humor is sometimes required in order to fully understand my posts, so bring it with you next time, okay? :sly:
My god, you've managed it again. You don't car what others think, yet when giving your opinion, you take the popular opinion into account, and modify your own. Amazing.
 
My god, you've managed it again. You don't car what others think, yet when giving your opinion, you take the popular opinion into account, and modify your own. Amazing.

D9SYRbd.png
 
Party in the front. Like, all of it. The SLK had the handling of a boat due to not being a lightweight, adding a heavy engine at the front, it didn't help. The fussy styling and the faux-SLR nose aren't doing this car any favors, either. And finally, this generation of SLK was bought by douchebags and no one else.

Mercedes? More like Mehcedes, am I right?
 
the main differences in competition (the SLK vs the Z3/Z4 and the TT) is that the SLK is the most grand touring of them all. It's heavier, but it generally has a better quality interior and of course the hardtop reduces road noise quite a bit. The Z3/Z4 is the most "sporty" of them and the TT is kind of in the middle. I'm not sure about the Z4 M vs the SLK55, but with the SLK32 vs the Z3 M, they are very close in terms of speed but the Z3 M handles a bit better on the track, however the SLK32 is better at the road and daily usability (As long as you're not carrying groceries with the top down). That's why I like the SLK the most, even though I like the other two competitors as well.
 
I personally like the SLK AMGs, all 3 generations of them. Though, like =/= coolness.

So, I guess the SLR or F1 car based nose would look silly to normal people. Only car people will be able to tell it from a normal SLK. Though, as for the hairdresser stereotype; I also don't see it. I never see even normal SLKs near a hair salon. Though, I do see one at a bank sometimes and another at city hall. I know bankers aren't cool, rather boring. I do think though that a V8 in a small roadster is cool. Also, as I said before; I think non car people won't be able to tell it from a normal SLK, which makes it a bit understated. Also, I think it's a great looking car for the most part; the nose isn't enough for me to keep me away from it.

Overall, I think it rounds to a high meh or low cool...screw it all; I'm voting cool.
 
Having been in one of these, it's excessively quick for it's size. That alone gives it a cool.
 
Meh.

I understand the components, and it has some good ones.
But the overall package doesn't fill me with lust nor hatred, just apathy.
 
I just don't get these, plus they're 10-a-penny. Even AMG could't make it cool.

Uncool.
 
Back