• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2005 Ford Mustang GT-R Concept Car nominated by SomePlayaDude

Mustang-Racing-Car-Wallpapers4.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2005
Layout: 2-door coupe
Engine: 305 ci/4,995 cc naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (rated 440 HP & 400 lb-ft)
Transmission: T-56 6-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: Ford Mustang (probably)​

My take? While I know some people will probably say it's doubly uncool because it's both a concept car and a race car, it is, at least, a runner and probably based on the actual production 2005+ Mustang. Either way I'm going to give it a solid cool.

Not a quintessential Mustang.

It undermines its own supposed appeal by blatantly equipping itself with a track-oriented aero package in the very first place, as done by the manufacturer. The sense of straightforwardly strengthful might is also not there. The headlights scream science fiction, and that's not fitting for a Mustang. The GT-R moniker also inadvertently relates itself to silly people who enjoy putting GT-R badges on their fourth-generation Mustangs.

...oh, wait, this was revealed in 2005, the year when they decided for the then new Mustang to have styling cues that clearly hark back to the original ones? It should be pleasantly reminiscent of the good old days of hammering it down the straights for the older enthusiast, then. And soon after that they decided to express the conceptual idea of a Mustang with a big rear wing on it? (by the way, I am aware of Mustangs' heritage in road racing, through their participation in the Trans-Am series and so on, I'm just saying that, in general, that's not really what they're about, aren't they?)

To some extent, a likeable car, but uncool.

From what I'm seeing from many people's perspectives, race car is uncool, and so is prototype.

Yeah.. this car is both. OMG send it to the grinder!

Not so fast.. let's see the tidbits. Huh.. hiding information about 0-60 and top speed? Extra uncool. Man, i made quite the nominee of doom here.

I'm not looking at a daily drive here; I just envision at the racing pedigree of the past Mustangs when i see this car. I mean, you have Parnelli Jones' well known Grabber Orange from the 69 Mustang Mach 1 (just before original Eleanor). I know so little Mustangs today with a side exhaust too (don't say body worked or custom).

I'll treat it like Titanic: It's already cool, but when it claims so much to think it can reach sub zero.. it'll hit rock bottom. Good luck, old friend! ;)

Uncool. I find modern Mustangs to be quite cool usually but this is the sort of car that I feel the racing car aero pack doesn't really suit that well.

Yes, I'm going purely on aesthetics for this one, lads and gals.

Seriously Uncool. American factory rice, with cheddar and ranch dressing on top.

It's pure embarrassment carved from sheet metal. I have fond memories of the GT-R from Test Drive: Unlimited and GRID, but that doesn't help that fact that it is one ghastly race car. In orange. Eww.

The Devel Sixteen could use some company. Seriously uncool.

Last edited:
Always thought that kit looked incredibly cheap.

Complete dog's dinner of a Mustang and hardly a decent example of a racing concept. Especially one inspired by the Boss 302 Trans-Am cars.

This is a "racing" car. That they never intended to build, because they couldn't have used it for anything. But made a big deal about how it could just be right around the corner. That alone makes it so far away from cool that you could regularly find it lounging about in Hell; just like the similarly hopelessly inept "tuner" Cavaliers and Sunfires that GM was trying to pretend anyone gave a 🤬 about at around the same time.

Even worse, this is one that made the rounds in all of the hip, edgy street crowd types that were pretending to be cool the middle of the last decade. The plain white toast 20-somethings who wore skater caps and said nonsense like "bank" instead of "money;" and were "big into rap music" but whose entire memory of the genre extended to "the songs on the Need For Speed Underground soundtrack." And it did so because it was so blatantly pandered to them in its design that they should have just put neon on it.

Last edited:
Would've been cool, I really like this generation of Mustang but those gaudy exhaust tips in front of the rear wheel knock it to a Meh, then the big ugly spoiler knocks it down another notch, UNCOOL. Feeling shallow today.

Back