GTP Cool Wall: 2006-2012 Mercedes-Benz GL550 (X164)

2006-2012 Mercedes-Benz GL550 (X164)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me ask you all something. If you needed 7 real seats, wanted something that wasn't a minivan, and something that can move yet be comfortable and luxurious, why wouldn't you buy this? I have to defend this thing since we have it.

Let me ask you all something. If you needed 7 real seats, wanted something that wasn't a minivan, and something that can move yet be comfortable and luxurious, why wouldn't you buy this?
Isn't that what the R-Class was supposed to do?

Isn't that what the R-Class was supposed to do?
note that I said NOT a minivan, because no matter how much you think an R Class isn't a minivan, it is. And the R Class takes 7.8 to 60, which is pretty slow. Then you add 7 people and luggage, and it becomes really slow.

Because the Land Rover Discovery exists.

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-third-row-seats-at-the-2014-Paris-Motor-Show.jpg

6571284471_9c71d407eb_o.jpg

The GL looks a good deal more hospitable back there.

Even as a big Mercedes fan, I have to vote uncool. Doing the job it was designed for doesn't make it cool.

Is there an AMG version? I don't recall ever seeing one.

note that I said NOT a minivan, because no matter how much you think an R Class isn't a minivan, it is. And the R Class takes 7.8 to 60, which is pretty slow. Then you add 7 people and luggage, and it becomes really slow.
"We needed a macho looking SUV the can out-accelerate your typical midsized sedan instead of the wannabe minivan with a similar chassis and drivetrain" really plunges the GL into cool territory.

Let me ask you all something. If you needed 7 real seats, wanted something that wasn't a minivan, and something that can move yet be comfortable and luxurious, why wouldn't you buy this? I have to defend this thing since we have it.

If you needed all of the above in a single car, you're not cool and neither is the car. Face it.

But when you need it, you have to find the "coolest" SUV possible. That was the reason we got it.

The coolest SUV is an oxymoron. And even if you get the "coolest" SUV, you're still miles away from "Meh", let alone "cool".

But what at sort of moron wants to stuff 7 people and luggage in a car then do standing starts to 60 as quickly as they can?

That's why the diesel engined ones just make more sense.

I'll admit there is probably some usable practicality to the GL, so I do see a reason for its existence.

Still not a cool car though for being essentially a minivan-SUV.

GMC Yukon Denali/Cadillac Escalde if you want something even gaudier and less cool.

But what at sort of moron wants to stuff 7 people and luggage in a car then do standing starts to 60 as quickly as they can?

That's why the diesel engined ones just make more sense.

It's not just about 0-60. Big power also better enables fast passing, not just on a flat highway, but in less than ideal situations as well such as high elevation or going up a mountain pass.

It's not just about 0-60. Big power also better enables fast passing, not just on a flat highway, but in less than ideal situations as well such as high elevation or going up a mountain pass.

I didn't bring 0-60 times up in the first place :)

Torque is the most important thing in those situations you mentioned. All the current GL's and all but the very base version of the R-class have sufficient torque for those needs.

Back