GTP Cool Wall: 2006+ Venturi Fétish

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 40 comments

2006+ Venturi Fétish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well... not better... just more bespoke. I doubt anyone has tested the two together (but if they have, vids please! :lol: ).

But I do have a feeling the Fetish will be better sorted. There's a reason it's much, much more expensive than a Tesla Roadster:

Roadster-xray.jpg

(Tesla powertrain)

The Tesla is basically an electrified Elise. Which is great, because, well, it's an Elise, but that necessitates finding places to put the batteries. Unfortunately, the Elise has very few places you can install a big battery pack without cutting into the bodywork, so the shortcut taken here is to simply mount them in the engine bay behind the passenger cell.

High up in the engine bay.

Very high up.

This pushes the electric motor over the rear axle, which necessitates mounting it high up off the ground, as well.

While many road tests praise the Tesla, there are those who note the dynamic shortcomings versus the Elise. Which is understandable. But these compromises allowed Tesla to build the world's first mass-produced electric sports car and bring it in under budget.

The Fetish came out before the Tesla, but it's much more expensive. And that's because it has a carbon-fiber chassis designed from the ground up for electrification.

Which means:

fetish4.JPG

As you can see, the battery packs are better integrated into the chassis, down low, in the middle. The motor is laid ahead of the differential, and isn't sitting on top of it. These differences give the Fetish a very low center of gravity, and likely better handling, but since they're rare, I'm not aware if anyone's found out if it is better or not.

-

I've never liked the design of the Roadster... all the compromises and half-arsed engineering solutions... and that's because of the Fetish... which is an arguably superior car, and built earlier. But... the Roadster made money. Mucho money. And that money helped give us the Model S, which is arguably the best electric car... ever. So I'll let it slide. :lol:

I'd snip the quote, but with all the though you put into it, it'd be unfair towards you. After reading all that, I am giving the Venturi some slack, at least it does use some modern, well thought out technology. But it is as you said; Venturi may have had the edge there, but Tesla's cost-cutting measures with the Roadster allowed them to get to a place where they're now able to create 600 hp-plus electric sedans. And we know how good those are, don't we? They choose the wise, albeit longer path. The Venturi is a noble attempt, but is loses out due to both price and rarity. No one can really tell which one is better handling wise until some brave soul manages to to get their mints on a Fetish...

As you can see, the battery packs are better integrated into the chassis, down low, in the middle.

Clearly the answer, then, is the electric DeLorean prototype where they filled the transmission tunnel with batteries.

Clearly the answer, then, is the electric DeLorean prototype where they filled the transmission tunnel with batteries.

At least they'll get to 80 mph in first gear.

Meh. Probably a decent performer (Though I've heard it's limited to only 100 mph), but it looks odd, the name is stupid (At least in English), and... FOUR HUNDRED GRAND? No thanks. I'd rather have a Tesla, especially with the Roadster's recently announced battery upgrades. Wonder if the second gen will be any good.

...am I the only one not offended by the name? I thought it was clever back when the car was shown, and I still do. Sports cars are heart-over-head objects.

It's never been a looker, but it is clever. Unfortunately, it's not particularly cool. So... I'm torn.

Back