Engines:
1.3L I4 (Toyota 1NR-FE)
Power: 97 hp
Torque: 92 lb-ft.
Weight: 988 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual, CVT
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback
Additional Info: "The Cygnet was created in part for Aston Martin to be complied with the European Union's fleet emissions regulations set in 2012. Production of the mini-Aston ended after only two years due to poor sales. The poor sales of the Cygnet was pointed to the car price tag, which was nearly 3-times more than the car it was based from....the Toyota iQ."​
Aston_Martin_Cygnet_(82).JPG

aston-martin-cygnet-07.jpg

aston-martin-cygnet-02.jpg

aston-martin-cygnet-concept_100307513_l.jpg

03-cygnet.jpg

54c5865d0085637e6abe0af478af7625_large.jpeg

2011-aston-martin-cygnet-cvt-cockpit.jpg

It proves why all other Aston Martins look the same, because when they change their styling this happens.

Overpriced and underwhelming. The Cygnet is a car of extremes, and neither are the good kind. Worst still, the premise that led to its creation (trying to tone down Aston Martin's range of CO2 emissions) ended up being solved not by this car, but by Aston's partnership with AMG to create new engines. So all this makes the Cygnet one of the most pointless Aston Martin cars history. Only wives of real Aston Martin owners will find something good about this car. Of course, real Aston owners will probably try to burn the car down because it IS a disgraceful attempt of a small Aston.

You're better off with an iQ, at least you won't have to deal with the rampant drop in value. Seriously Uncool.

I need to read up on this more clearly, I thought Aston had to do something like this to get their mean CO2 levels down, and the AMG gig came later, in which case I still find it a slightly cynical exercise, but to some extent understandable. Certainly a unique approach anyway, to the best of my knowledge.

Absolutely ridiculously priced car, and it's just because of badging. Based off of Toyota iQ. Seriously Uncool.

For 2/3rds of the cost of this you can buy a Fiat 500 Abarth Essesse with 60% more power, a better chassis, as much space inside, and arguably better styling. The only thing you don't get with the Abarth is the nice interior, and for the £10k difference I'm sure that can be fixed.

I thought Aston had to do something like this to get their mean CO2 levels down
Actually, the irony is that if the Cygnet had done well, Aston would have become affected by the fleet CO2 legislation - it only applies to volume manufacturers, of which Aston are not one.

Furthermore, had it done well enough to bring about that eventuality, Aston would have been boned by the fines - Cygnet would have needed to account for more than 75% of Aston Martin sales to avoid the punishment.

As it was in its first month on sale it was outsold by the One-77 by an order of magnitude. So luckily it was awful.

It might prove one hell of investment though. Despite rocking in at more than thirty grand, so few of them were sold that they may become collectors' pieces.

Despite rocking in at more than thirty grand, so few of them were sold that they may become collectors' pieces
Recently listed by Autocar as something to look out for in the next 10 years.

Anyway, SU. Jam an Aston V12 in there however...

Cool. Before you start to abuse the keyboard, let me explain first.

The thing is, people won't know you paid three times the price you should have paid, they don't think it's a disgrace to the Aston Martin name, they just won't, actually here vast majority doesn't even know what Aston Martin is, apart from James Bond films, and even that is quite far from what they'll see in this. It's not bad looking, in fact it's almost stylish, small British hatchback. Like MINI, except without the Countryman effect. And it makes middle-aged men in WRC/Ford/Subaru-caps angry for some reason, which just makes it even cooler.

Cygnet = Rebadged IQ with a Aston Martin Grill's = SU

And that's coming from a guy who has Toyota in the username.

I saw a Cygnet once. No, honestly, look!

IMAG0078.jpg

Granted, it was parked close enough to an Aston Martin garage that it could have been theirs (but also far away enough that it was out of sight..)

I love the idea of a super-luxurious supermini. I wanted to like the Cygnet when I first heard about it, and I hoped that maybe they'd perk the power up a little so it at least bordered on warm/hot hatch quick. But no. It has exactly the same power as a regular IQ, and the forced styling arguably looks worse.

Seriously uncool.

So, so seriously, deliriously uncool.

-

If I ever won the lottery, though, I'd be tempted to find one secondhand... just to say I bought an Aston with my winnings. :D

Rebadged Toyota iQ with a ridiculous price because of the badge it wears. I wish i could vote lower than SU, but I cant.

Overpriced as 🤬, and if you pay extra, you get a pillow. A 🤬 pillow. This needs to be thrown overboard to the River Styx.

Back