Body Style:
5-door crossover SUV
Engines: 3.0L twin-turbocharged V6 diesel (EU only), 3.0L supercharged V6
Power: 313-349 hp
Torque: 347-516 ft-lbs
Weight: 2000-2010 kg
Transmission: 8-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engined, four wheel drive
Additional Information: The SQ5 marks two significant firsts for Audi, with it being their first official S-badged SUV, and it's also their first ever diesel S-model. Other markets across the world only get the supercharged V6 engine out of the S4 and S5 as the SQ5 TDI is only available in Europe. An SQ5 TDI Plus was quietly added to the line-up in September 2015 and is again only available for Europe.​

2014-Audi-SQ5-TDI-01.jpg
546b1b8dade34_-_audisq505-lg.jpg

do-sharp.php.jpg

sq5-interior.jpg

Its a quick SUV, and unlike the BMW X6M and Mercedes GLE, it looks decent and not like a disproportionate lifted sedan. Saw one yesterday, very nice looking car in person. Only downside is the lack of a manual transmission. Solid cool for me

Very impressive Audi. You've created a mid-sized SUV just as powerful as the mid-sized SUVs Mercedes and BMW sold 15 years ago.
They had Diesels this powerful?

Seriously Uncool.

A car which is worse in every department compared to the BMW X6.

the X6 is a Bigger Class SUV then this as it competes with the X3, not only that but this isn't a coupe SUV.

These things blend right in with the rest of the crossovers over here. The general population are drawn to the high seating position. Plus they think being in a heavy car is safer. Then they ask for performance, so here we are. Seriously Uncool

They had Diesels this powerful?

Good point.

Even more impressive Audi. You've created a mid-sized SUV just as powerful as the mid-sized SUVs Mercedes and BMW sold 15 years ago, and you debuted a pointless super diesel version of it less powerful than the pointless super diesel mid-sized SUV you yourself have sold for the past ten years.

Good point.

Even more impressive Audi. You've created a mid-sized SUV just as powerful as the mid-sized SUVs Mercedes and BMW sold 15 years ago, and you debuted a pointless super diesel version of it less powerful than the pointless super diesel mid-sized SUV you yourself have sold for the past ten years.
Because the Q5 competes with the Q7:rolleyes:

It does not, because the Q7 isn't mid-sized. I know you come into these threads half cocked trying to find something to puff yourself up with, but this is all just a Google search away.

It does not, because the Q7 isn't mid-sized. I know you come into these threads half cocked trying to find something to puff yourself up with, but this is all just a Google search away.
Then what are you saying then, the V10 in the Toureag?

This has more power plus it's a smaller SUV .

It's a fast SUV that, in Europe at least, isn't completely pointless. However, diesel isn't cool and you'll be judged as a complete knob. The petrol version the rest of the world receives gets lumped into the pointless category like all the other fast SUVs.

Uncool it is.

Didn't realise there was a Petrol version, I can see how that is completely pointless.

However it should be noted this is a Compact SUV.

I quite like them!
I'd admit that they are 'fashionable' detracts from the coolness - but I'd rather have one of these than any non-sporting hatchback.

Cool

It's classed as a compact still.

So then what is the Q3? There's no such thing as a sub-compact SUV.

Despite what Wikipedia may tell you the Q5 is the mid-size SUV of Audi's range, as its platform, price range and model number will tell you.

So then what is the Q3? There's no such thing as a sub-compact SUV.

Despite what Wikipedia may tell you the Q5 is the mid-size SUV of Audi's range, as its platform, price range and model number will tell you.
Yes it's the middle of the range, but it is a compact SUV(close to the limit) just like it's direct competitor the BMW X3.

The Q3 is in the same Class however is much closer to the small end of that class.

The classing with SUVs hasn't evolved with the increasing model lines that make them.

At the end of the day you just compare it to it's direct competition anyway.

Yes it's the middle of the range, but it is a compact SUV(close to the limit) just like it's direct competitor the BMW X3.

If you want to get extremely technical the Q5 is a "Compact Luxury Crossover" which for all intents and purposes is about the same size as the Mazda CX-7, which fell between compact and mid-size but was in fact classified as a mid-size SUV. And the both the Q5 and the X3 are slightly larger than the "compact" SUV segment of the Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester et al, even though the media (here at least) classifies those as mid-size vehicles.

Oh and an amendment to my previous statement, there is such a thing as a sub-compact SUV, it's called the Audi Q2.

At the end of the day you just compare it to it's direct competition anyway.

So then what's with your previous statement here?

However it should be noted this is a Compact SUV.

If your initial rebuttal was that we're comparing the wrong class of vehicle then you've just proved yourself that is false since all of its competitors are "compact" SUVs as well.

If you want to get extremely technical the Q5 is a "Compact Luxury Crossover" which for all intents and purposes is about the same size as the Mazda CX-7, which fell between compact and mid-size but was in fact classified as a mid-size SUV.

Oh and an amendment to my previous statement, there is such a thing as a sub-compact SUV, it's called the Audi Q2.

So then what's with your previous statement here?

If your initial rebuttal was that we're comparing the wrong class of vehicle then you've just proved yourself that is false since all of its competitors are "compact" SUVs as well.
I have yet to encounter your point?

My compact SUV response was when in comparison of a Larger class car, the context is important.

I have yet to encounter your point?

My compact SUV response was when in comparison of a Larger class car, the context is important.

My points are that a) for all intents and purposes it's a mid-sized SUV, not a compact one and b) you seem to be forgetting the initial fact: Mercedes-Benz had the ML55 AMG in 2000 with 342hp while BMW had the X5 with a myriad of V8 powerplants, ranging from 315hp to 355hp.

While these two vehicles have in fact grown in subsequent generations to be larger than the Q5 now (hence the GLK and X3 stepping in to fill the gaps and provide the Q5's main competition), the interesting point is that all three of these SUVs have very similar dimensions to one another.

Last edited:
Your forgetting that cars grow overtime and so do the standards for class sizing. Go back to the 90s for instance and you can see all the Large Family car segment by today's standards are smaller then most of the small family car segment.

Like I said it all comes down to who is the direct competitors as that forms the class.

This is important as it reflects the price comparison for perspective buyers.

Like I said it all comes down to who is the direct competitors as that forms the class.

But even then it's a grey area as I've already stated. The Q5 and all of its competitors are actually larger than the current "medium" SUV range. In America the Q3 is classified as a Small Luxury SUV whereas the Q5 is classified as a Compact Luxury SUV, but traditionally the Compact segment is a smaller size (sometimes known as Light) than the Small segment.

Back