GTP Cool Wall: 2013+ Audi SQ5

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 55 comments

2013+ Audi SQ5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is because it's a newish segment and with soo many brands making multiple sized SUV the classes are all over the place.

It's much clearer on car classes as each segment has been established for several Decades.

The Q5 is based on the A4 which is a Compact Executive Class car which Hovers around the Compact/Mid size classes.

The Q5 is based on the A4 which is a Compact Executive Class car which Hovers around the Compact/Mid size classes.

Actually the platform the Q5 is based on (Volkswagen Mlb) has a range of uses including the A4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, and the Porsche Macan.

And while in terms of its length the A4 is about 100mm shorter than mid-size sedans, in terms of wheelbase it's very similar to them all. In fact only the Mazda6 has a longer wheel base by 27mm, a fairly scant figure.

And once again, the Q5 is larger than the usual suspects in the mid-size SUV range. And it's very commonly referred to as a medium SUV.

I really like this size of SUV (Q5/Macan/F Pace)... not too big, decent turn of pace, good visibility, easy to get in and out of, plenty of luggage space, decent economy with a diesel engine... would make me a perfect daily driver.

Not cool though.

Actually the platform the Q5 is based on (Volkswagen Mlb) has a range of uses including the A4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, and the Porsche Macan.

And while in terms of its length the A4 is about 100mm shorter than mid-size sedans, in terms of wheelbase it's very similar to them all. In fact only the Mazda6 has a longer wheel base by 27mm, a fairly scant figure.

And once again, the Q5 is larger than the usual suspects in the mid-size SUV range. And it's very commonly referred to as a medium SUV.
Thanks for telling me something that's already on Wikipedia, except the midsize SUV part.

All the SUVs you mentioned apart from the CX-7(which is outdated) are classed as Compact SUV a Medium sized SUV is generally Kluger/Highlander size.
There is a class called Mini SUV which are generally based on Subcompacts.

Like I said a Compact Executive is in between the Average midsize and compact so in SUV form you get that same middle ground(the Q5 whilst on a open platform is designed to Compete with the X3 which is based on the 3 series another Compact Executive so you see why it will share alot of similarities with the Audi A4).

And this all depends on what country you are in as well as North America tends to class them different from Europe and the rest of the world.

Now in context of what I Originally said in comparison of the E Class based ML and 5 Series based X5/6 yes it's a compact.

The GL Class and Lexus LX are full sized.

Last edited:
Medium sized SUV is generally Kluger/Highlander size.

The CX-5, Sportage, Forester, etc. are classified as medium SUVs. See below.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/gacartypes?readform&type=suv-medium

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-com...-v-ix35-v-sportage-v-kuga-20140618-zs9dh.html

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/best-medium-suvs-comparison-review-28751

And this all depends on what country you are in as well as North America tends to class them different from Europe and the rest of the world.

And that's the other thing; North America has an entire class above everything else that is full-size.

The C-Class, 3-series, A4, etc. are called Prestige here whereas Executive is the job of 5er, E and A6.

Last edited:
Now in context of what I Originally said in comparison of the E Class based ML and 5 Series based X5/6 yes it's a compact.
The Q5 (like the current X3) is larger than the original ML-Class and all of one inch shorter than the original X5. You know, the context that I originally said, and which weren't compact SUVs when they were on sale.
Nor was the contemporary Grand Cherokee, which was also smaller than the Q5 and also attracted a similar clientele to those two (albeit skewing more old money). Or the Toyota Highlander example you helpfully brought up, which was also basically the same size as all of the above in its first generation and also midsized.

Incidentally, the current A4 that lends the Q5 it's platform sits on a near identical wheelbase to the E39 5-series, and is two inches shorter, but is also wider and slightly taller. The E39 wasn't a compact car.

Last edited:
You do realise that there isn't a world standard for this so it's easy to find a country that supports your point.

@Tornado

Wheel base has nothing to do with classing for a car.

Wheelbases have been increased for years as car makers put the wheels closer to the edge of each bumper.

Now like I said probably on the First page, cars get bigger over time and so does their class(as generally that's based on what the segment as a whole is doing), of course there are countries that don't do it like this but the main two grading systems in Europe and North America do.

Last edited:
You do realise that there isn't a world standard for this so it's easy to find a country that supports your point.

Yes, whereas the only country that supports yours is North America, because of aforementioned full-size SUVs that are larger than the rest-of-the-world's full-size SUVs.

For an example, the biggest selling mid-sized CUV/SUV in Europe last year was the Nissan Qashqai which, surprise surprise, is actually significantly smaller than the Q5.

Last edited:
Like what, some of the SUVs classed as Full Sized are sold here and many other Countries.

For instance: Mercedes GL, Lexus LX, Range Rover and the Future Nissan Armada which is based on the Current Nissan Patrol.

Like what, some of the SUVs classed as Full Sized are sold here and many other Countries.

For instance: Mercedes GL, Lexus LX, Range Rover and the Future Nissan Armada which is based on the Current Nissan Patrol.

GMC Yukon XL/Chevrolet Suburban, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Expedition, etc.

The Nissan Patrol, GL-Class and Range Rover are all smaller than both the Expedition and Sequoia (the Rangie isn't even 5 metres long!), and the Yukon/Suburban absolutely dwarf the lot of them.

GMC Yukon XL/Chevrolet Suburban, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Expedition, etc.

The Nissan Patrol, GL-Class and Range Rover are all smaller than both the Expedition and Sequoia (the Rangie isn't even 5 metres long!), and the Yukon/Suburban absolutely dwarf the lot of them.
All of those are still classed as a Full size in the US, the Range Rover is also wider then every car you mentioned(this is included in what determines what class it is).

You are now just cherry picking as all those cars I mentioned are Classed as Fullsize in the US, you just seem to be picking the LWB versions of SUVs classed as Fullsize as well.

I can Bring up cars like the Infiniti QX80 which is based on the Patrol which is sold in Both Australia and the US as well if you like, this is Larger then the Tahoe, Expedition(non extended) and Sequoia in basically every Dimension and all those are Full size.

Last edited:
All of those are still classed as a Full size in the US

Nope, there is a difference and that is the word "luxury."

All of the SUVs I have mentioned are full-size SUVs, while the SUVs you have mentioned are all classed as full-size luxury SUVs. Since you like to mention comparisons between competitors, the vehicles you have mentioned aren't cross-shopped between the vehicles I have mentioned.

And if you would like a full display as to how many different categories of SUV there are in the US, then please look no further.

Cherry picking. Yeah.

Nope, there is a difference and that is the word "luxury."

All of the SUVs I have mentioned are full-size SUVs, while the SUVs you have mentioned are all classed as full-size luxury SUVs. Since you like to mention comparisons between competitors, the vehicles you have mentioned aren't cross-shopped between the vehicles I have mentioned.

And if you would like a full display as to how many different categories of SUV there are in the US, then please look no further.

Cherry picking. Yeah.
So when the Audi Q5 Classed as Compact Luxury thats Mid size?

The Cherry picking is strong.

Even still you Are missing the Nissan Patrol/Nissan Armada comparison.

Roo
@Murcie_LP640 @mustafur @Tornado

It doesn't matter what class it's in. It's still Seriously Uncool.

Very much so, but I've always been fascinated by the GTP style OCD Arguments I'm keen to go till it ends lmao.

Last edited:

The Cherry picking is strong.

Even still you Are missing the Nissan Patrol/Nissan Armada comparison.

As I said, it's classed as mid-size everywhere else, it is due to the categorisation system in the US that it is classed as a compact luxury SUV.

Second example is the Volvo XC60, classed as a mid-size SUV in Europe and Australia, fits in perfectly with the Q5's dimensions.

Infiniti QX80

Full-size luxury.

Nissan Patrol

Similar size to the full-size vehicles mentioned, including SWB versions of those. The QX80 is just bigger thanks to its giant ugly mouth.

Now lets go back to my original statement and look what SUVs I was comparing to, the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML are these in this same class of Compact Luxury?

You went to all this effort to say that in other countries they don't have a Luxury class with SUVs like how there is Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Executive Classes with cars.

Did I not say this was down to the fact we have soo many New SUVs being made by brands that didn't make them before coming into the game meaning that the segment hasn't established it properly(Outside of the US mostly).

America has a higher Selection of SUVs so it has more Segment/Classes for them.

Europe for example doesn't have a Medium SUV class as of yet as they haven't categorized it, all Medium/Fullsize SUVs in America for example are branded in one class called Large 4x4 under European segments for SUV.

Wheel base has nothing to do with classing for a car.
*whoosh*

Now lets go back to my original statement and look what SUVs I was comparing to, the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML are these in this same class of Compact Luxury?
Your original statement is irrelevant. No one in this entire thread compared the current BMW X5 and the current Mercedes ML to the Audi Q5 except you, so no one cares what SUVs you keep bringing up to try and prove what size class it really is.

Jesus Christ.

There's plenty of reasons that my original, obviously sarcastic post isn't a fair comparison. The SQ5 is actually quite a bit faster than the ML55 and X5 4.8is, owing mostly to how much lighter it is than them. The SQ5 is also quite a bit cheaper than either of those were. Hell, the original ML class was a body on frame SUV, and a pretty poor one at that. But you know know two ways that don't explain why the two can't be fairly compared to the SQ5?

One of them is singling out how the diesel version is so much more powerful than they were, since you were in such a rush to sound clever that you didn't even bother reading the OP of the thread that talks about the gas version to realize that I was obviously talking about the gas version since the gas version was the one with nearly identical power outputs to those.
The other one is spending over a dozen posts arguing about how the Q5 range in general is so obviously in a smaller size class than two SUVs (and, later, three other ones, one of which you even brought up) that were near as makes no difference identical in dimensions to it.

Last edited:
America has a higher Selection of SUVs so it has more Segment/Classes for them.

Thank you for paraphrasing my point.
Europe for example doesn't have a Medium SUV class as of yet as they haven't categorized it, all Medium/Fullsize SUVs in America for example are branded in one class called Large 4x4 under European segments for SUV.

The J-segment lumps all SUVs under the one classification and yet they still compare SUVs on size, and the Q5 and all of its competitors are lumped as medium SUVs.

Actually since you've taken this quote from another Wikipedia page, take a look at "mid-size SUV" under American English and see which vehicles in fact are under that classification.

I don't get all the hate for sports SUVs in my opinion. The Q5 is stylish and has a lot of horsepower, and it's supercharged.

Cool

Back