• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2013+ Jaguar F-Type nominated by KM964

2014-jaguar-f-type_100425172_l.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2013+
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: AJ126 183 ci/2,995 cc supercharged DOHC V6 (rated 335 HP & 332 lb-ft in base specification and 375 HP & 339 lb-ft in S specification), AJ133 305 ci/5,000 cc supercharged DOHC V8 (rated 488 HP & 461 lb-ft in V8 S specification and 542 HP & 502 lb-ft in V8 R specification)
Transmission: QuickShift 8-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: Jaguar C-X16 (concept version)​

Loses a lot of point right off for having no three-pedal manual available. Gains most or all of them back with good looks and excellent engines (better than the concept's PHEV system certainly). I wouldn't mind having one at all. I'll give it at least a cool.

Much as I hate to admit it, I even like the interior. While the shots shown in Jaguar's vehicle configurator are probably slightly manipulated to make them extra flattering, the general look of it actually manages to raise my opinion of the car.

(I still like my cruddy Sunbird despite its hard-plastic interior. Of course, that car cost $12,000 new in 1993 and this starts at $65,000 for the base coupe, so expectations will probably be a lot different in the area of interior materials).

I have seen one of these, they are gorgeous. :drool: And the sound of both versions... :drool: And of all the colors that you can buy this car in, Kyanite Blue is not on the list, but orange is. :grumpy:

And that last sentence in White & Nerdy's take on it makes no sense whatsoever. Still, A C7 Corvette starts at $53,000, and I would rather have that.

Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
Not sure why a "3 pedal manual" matters. I love stick shift as much as the next car enthusiast but we aren't cave men we do have fire. For me it's cool until an RS version comes along then it will sit in the ice box.

Because of all the different types of cars, this is the one that should have an available manual, as a matter of course.

Why, other than you deeming it? It's to Jaguar what a base model Corvette is to Chevy/GM and those come in Auto, hell the new Z06 is planned to have an Automatic version to...

The thing is, they do have available manuals.

Right on their site it talks about the car being built for "pure driving pleasure" - and that's the base model in particular. So if that's what it's for, then it should have a manual, since that would make driving it even more pleasureable.

I'll never get the argument that, since paddle-shift autos are newer/more advanced than true manuals, we shouldn't want manuals anymore even in sports cars.

The thing is, they do have available manuals.

Right on their site it talks about the car being built for "pure driving pleasure" - and that's the base model in particular. So if that's what it's for, then it should have a manual, since that would make driving it even more pleasureable.

Yes the Vette does have a manual but most base models are sold as Automatics because the average driver that buys sports cars of this level doesn't want or can't drive manual. That is most likely why the F-type is this way and there is nothing wrong with it, because to those people they'll feel they're getting the most driving pleasure even if you don't.

I'll never get the argument that, since paddle-shift autos are newer/more advanced than true manuals, we shouldn't want manuals anymore even in sports cars.

I'm fine with manuals but a semi-auto is more accessible and easier to learn in today's world than manuals for most drivers that will own these, that just the reality.

Sub-Zero and beyond.
No car on sale right now I would buy more than this.
A piece of brilliance among the average and/or "same old" stuff we see nowadays.

Cool. It's a Jaguar sports car, which is enough to justify that. Though it's not as good-looking as it could have been, so loses points for that.

Most cars that come out these days are very angular and I can't exactly say I like them... But the F-Type uses minor modern mainstream design cues but without relying on them. And the result is one of the prettiest cars in recent years. Along with a nice choice of engines and a brilliant soundtrack. I mean, you could buy a Corvette C7 for about $50,000, which is $30,000 less than the F-Type, and you'd also get about the same "go" from the Vette. But the F-Type looks so much better, would you really want to buy anything else?

"STOP!! It was a rhetorical question!"

Insanely good looking but fast and inefficient, too close to supercar... :rolleyes:

Btw, w&n saying it loses points for no 3rd pedal is like, well, my first thought was aquaman saying superman doesnt understand being a hero... or micheal bay telling q.terrentino he doesn't know how to make a bloody movie.

Last edited:
I've seen a fair few of these being driven about, and all of them have been driven by people who are almost certainly bankers.

Uncool.

Being the next letter after E and the name is a kind of hommage to the E-Type I was thinking it better be a looker, while being unique and have good performance.

It ticked all boxes.
Cool for me.

It's the most beautiful Jag since the E-Type. It has great engines, that supercharged V6 is just ace.

Looses points for being too expensive, but the feel given by driving it has to pay that price.

A pretty solid sub-zero if not more.

Stick it in the ice-box.

Drop-dead gorgeous looks coupled with awesome engines and old fashioned hoonability despite the 8-speed auto.

Plus the sound of the V6 is just :drool:

Sub-zero, pretty much based on sound alone. Not even the stupidity of Top Gear can ruin this car for me.

Very, very cool... a modern Jaguar two-door that isn't a grand tourer... with a proper soundtrack, too.

But still just a rich man's toy... and I'm not quite emotionally invested in it, as of yet, so still just cool rather than sub-zero.

Uh, no, because driving pleasure is not dictated by transmission alone.

And don't try to state your opinion as a fact.
It's not because autos are more advanced, it's because no one is buying manuals to start. You vote with your wallet in this world, & not enough people order manuals to justify their development.
Sub-zero, pretty much based on sound alone. Not even the stupidity of Top Gear can ruin this car for me.
Exactly what I was going to post. V8 or V6, this thing sounds amazing.

Very very nice car.

Not a grand tourer, two doors, excellent sound... (Looks amazing in orange, actually)

My only gripe is the headlight design, but that can be excused when the rest of the car is so good to look at. Sub-Zero.

Automatic only = Uncool.

This isn't a track car or a luxury sedan, and it doesn't generate gear-exploding gobs of torque (except maybe the V8 R). It's an open-air car that makes nice noises and was built to provide a fun time. It's as logical of a candidate for a manual transmission as anything, which makes the omission of one tragic. It takes an exceptional case for me to award a Cool vote to any car that's only available with an automatic, and as pretty as this is, it's just another flashy new car with a lame gearbox. From what I can tell in the automotive press, in 2012 Jaguar teased the possibility of a 6-speed manual arriving later but has yet to even confirm or deny the idea, which is also lame.

Back