• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2013+ McLaren P1 nominated by AudiMan2011

2013-03-05_Geneva_Motor_Show_7846.JPG

Stats:
Production: 2013+
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: M838T 232 ci/3,799 cc twin-turbocharged DOHC V8 plus electric motor (rated 903 HP & 722 lb-ft)
Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive​

Cool is uncool? The heck, poll?

Blaring out the McLaren's new motif, the P1 was, to me, the successor of the F1. That middle seated BMW V12 of a car is an instant freezebox for me, so it's hard to say this is uncool (cause.. let's face it, there's no option to vote uncool :P ).

If i was to make a proper vote for these Hyperbrids, I'd naturally go uncool. The LaFerrari would get that for me, cause i didn't really like it's exhaust note. I placed the Porsche 918 as Sub-Zero due to my bias to what it 'succeeds': The Carrera GT. Could've placed it as meh, but too late for that.

The P1 has my vote for uncool (where is it?) due to.. let's say it looks too whack. Nobody wants to be driving around a spaceship! The exhaust sound isn't favorable for me and for these V8 symphonies, i prefer the ever so soulless McLaren MP4-12C, or the Ford GT.

Cool. And by Cool I mean Cool Cool, not the Uncool Cool as per the poll. Looks good, if a little overstyled, and it's got an electric motor.

All that needs to be said really other than it's a new McLaren.

Most hypercars are seriously uncool, but I don't think this one is. It's a hypercar in the sense that it showcases lots of technology and is very, very fast, but this isn't a car gunning for top-speed, and that's what saves it. The P1 is, in my opinion, cooler than the LaFerrari, but not quite as cool as the 918. Unfortunately, this car was made by the same company that made the F1, and it's always going to be compared to that car. Which is too bad, because no amount of cool tech would make the P1 as cool as the F1.

This car still deserves sub-zero, a very low sub-zero, though.

Seriously uncool.

There's been too much pissing about over the Nurburgring lap time with this one. Nurburgring lap times are already one of the least cool things in the world (you: "my car is fastest around the Nurburgring" - passer-by: "the Burger King?" - you: "no, the Nurburgring, it's a really old race circuit in Germany" - passer-by: "...oh") but McLaren's pointless lap-time suspense is even worse.

We get it, it's sub seven minutes. If it was that quick you'd just say whether it's quicker than the 918, and if you claim not to care about the time (apparently the case), then why bring it up in the first place? It's the ultimate way of making a big deal about something an increasing number of people give less than half a toss about. And it's really uncouth for a company supposedly concerned with engineering rather than theater. Ferrari has been positively quiet about LaFerrari, compared to all the hype on the P1.

There was none of that crap with the F1, which is one of a handful of supercars that I'd say is genuinely cool. The F1 was developed to be as good as a road car could be for the time. Lap times didn't even come into it - reputedly, it's not actually that great on a circuit. But it was the fastest car in the world for a time - something the P1 isn't - and broke new ground. The P1 doesn't do that either - three hybrid hypercars have all emerged at the same time, so it's not really special in that respect.

Most on the road will be used for posing (since it's too fast for really going quickly in) or even not at all - top-level hypercars are garage queens if ever such cars existed. A few dummies will crash one. It'll never win Le Mans, like the F1 did. It's just a road toy rather than a car with competition potential. I can't see many people doing 40k miles in one, as Rowan Atkinson has done with his F1.

Automotive willy-waving of the worst kind. I'm sure it's a fabulous car but it's already a fabulous pain in the arse too. And since I'm not 15 years old I'm not even sure how excited I'd be if I saw one on the road. Probably more amazed that the driver had taken it out of its cocoon.

Edit: Cock, voted uncool by mistake. Which once again needs changing to "uncool" rather than "cool".

Following the success of the F1 is always going to be hard, but the P1 goes about speed much differently than the F1 did, by channelling usage of Formula 1 technology, like the 12C below it, to make it as fast as possible round a track.

Not as cool as the 918, but this might be the possible potential winner of the hybrid hypercar wars. Very cool, but not sub-zero.

Last edited:
A few dummies will crash one. It'll never win Le Mans, like the F1 did. It's just a road toy rather than a car with competition potential. I can't see many people doing 40k miles in one, as Rowan Atkinson has done with his F1.

Hmmm...

It'll never win Le Mans, like the F1 did. It's just a road toy rather than a car with competition potential. I can't see many people doing 40k miles in one, A few dummies will crash one, as Rowan Atkinson has done with his F1.

:D one simple edit

Edit: Cock, voted uncool by mistake. Which once again needs changing to "uncool" rather than "cool".
LaFixed.

Uncool. 918 was the first hybrid hypercar the break that ground, and LaFerrari also beat it to the punch too. It looks great but the hype machine killed it.

LaFixed.

Uncool. 918 was the first hybrid hypercar the break that ground, and LaFerrari also beat it to the punch too. It looks great but the hype machine killed it.
Yep - add in that they are still being 'shy' about what the exact 'ring time was and they don't help themselves.

900+ horsepower and rear-wheel drive? That's called stupid. Even if you are looking for crazy uncontrollable power, the LaFerrari has 50 more.

The car has the most unrefined design of any other hypercar. The design is self-indulgent; the headlights are in the shape of the McLaren logo. This is a sorry successor to Gordon Murray's McLaren F1.

The F1 is still the fastest naturally-aspirated production car, and is powered by a German V12... much cooler than a British Hybrid V8.

Furthermore, the P1's top speed is limited to 215 mph, which sounds great, but is 15 less than the F1, it's predecessor.

...Therefore...

Seriously Uncool.

It's not only a supercar, it's a hypercar. Supercars are usually ostentatious, vulgar displays of wealth to everyone around you except gearheads. It's gonna be driven around mostly by the creme de la creme of douchebaggery like pop-stars and arab monarchs. What's cool in that? What's cool in attacting a cloud of onlookers wherever you go?

Still, I love McLarens so I gave it a mere "Uncool".

There's been too much pissing about over the Nurburgring lap time with this one. Nurburgring lap times are already one of the least cool things in the world (you: "my car is fastest around the Nurburgring" - passer-by: "the Burger King?" - you: "no, the Nurburgring, it's a really old race circuit in Germany" - passer-by: "...oh") but McLaren's pointless lap-time suspense is even worse.
I wish I had remembered about that, I would've given it an uncool or seriously uncool if I had.

I actually like it, so it should be cool... The power! The focus on driving excellence! The high-technology!

But:

Nurburgring.

"We have a car that is insanely fast on the Ring, we don't care about the time, but we're going to brag about it, anyway, without telling you what it is."

Super-trolling. Seriously, seriously uncool.

Hmm...I'm going back and forth on this one. That power is definitely cool! But then I actually look at the car. From the mirrors down it's hideous. I'm talking 1980s hot wheels fake car hideous, and that's really saying something. But that power...!

I was still on 'cool' when I voted, but this can never be more than moderately cool, and often falls into seriously uncool if I look at the big gaping holes in the side and the way the front end looks like its baring its gums (rather than its teeth) at you. This is the kind of car you only need to see from the other side of one of those concrete road barrier walls....from the windows up.

This car reminds of that hideous Kid car The Devil 16 the two cars are pointless and expensive in a way its stupid and anyone buys it is A Man Who dont care about Reality of driving cars it just look at me kinda thing a brag tool Even the specs Are not that good The F1 Was a true supercar And this thing failed it

Plus it deserves to be junked

Meh. Although the technology is brilliant and it actually looks pleasing, what they've done with their Nurburgring time is quite troll. Plus since it's a hypercar, it should have merited an uncool. But it's still an amazing machine.

Back