GTP Cool Wall: 2013+ McLaren P1

2013+ McLaren P1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P1 = hypercar

Hypercar = showy

Showy ≠ cool

I'm sure it's pretty cool to roll around in blissful electric silence, and that kinda drags it out of uncool.

Meh.

Sub-Zero, I swear it looks so damn beautiful and the iconic mclaren Logo as the headlights. I love the F1 to death but I might actually think this p1 will probably replace the f1 in my heart.

I just hate the limited quantity =_=.

It doesn't look bad, but something about its design irks me in a "trying too hard" way. The silly headlights, as mentioned already, play a role in that. For a successor to the F1, it's short 4 cylinders, which only matters to me because of the sound a V12 makes. Its automated transmission knocks it down a bit more, and the hybrid tech, while not automatically-seriously-uncool by any means, doesn't help.

I was going to vote "uncool", but I wasn't aware of the Nürburgring laptime "super-trolling" as niky put it, because I don't closely follow the headlines of super-expensive supercars I'll probably never see in my lifetime as much as I used to when I was younger. I admire the Nordschleife and I do think the laptimes are worth something (though absolutely not the end-all of a car's worth), but I have to agree the way McLaren went about it makes the end product seem particularly pretentious.

Seriously Uncool.

It goes on the bottom edge of cool for me. Not nearly as spectacular as the Porsche 918 (in my opinion), but otherwise a damn-fine automobile in an increasingly crowded hypercar market.

GTP calling a hybrid supercar uncool?

WAT

Personally, I think it's cooler than the 918, but where that actually leaves it I ain't sure.

Sub-zero for the tech underneath that seriously uncool body.

Meh.

Basically this. Looks are trying way too hard to be "future" that it reminds of the 80's try hard future designs.

The tech is amazing, but also not a novel concept at this point...

So meh.

The tech is awesome behind it and I really do like hybrid super/hyper cars since it does add more power, but the design is trying to hard to be futuristic and looks way overdone. Went with meh on this one.

Incredibly cool and awesome in terms of technology, but you'll have to geek out to really appreciate all of it, and geeks aren't cool. Add the Nurburgring trolling and this becomes seriously uncool.

However, it's not as cliche as a Ferrari is, so this gets bumped to just uncool, though very much so.

GTP calling a hybrid supercar uncool?

WAT
I know this comes as a shock since it doesn't fit in with your rigid view on what you think other people on GTP are like - and despite the fact it's been said by many people many, many times - but most members on GTP have the ability to appreciate all different sorts of cars. This also extends to our ability to decide whether something is cool or uncool.

Once again, we've broken W&N's remarkably one-dimensional model of how he figures things work around here. Darn those pesky multi-faceted opinions! It's hard to stick labels on everyone when they don't submit to a perfectly rigid list of preferences. Poor guy.

I give it a cool. It'll turn heads anywhere you go, and it's certainly a great achievement in terms of engineering and all that. In order to be cool it also must please the people that see it. This car does that. In order to be Sub-Zero it has to please me, and it just doesn't. It's wickedly fast, looks exotic, built wonderfully and seems pleasant to drive, but I wouldn't get giddy with excitement when I wake up and remember it is in my garage. It's the difference between, "Sweet I have a McLaren P1 in my garage, I think I might drive through town today." and "Sweet, I got a McLaren F1, I'm totally going to drive that thing through town, maybe even pop a quick 0-60 while merging on the freeway."

I think I make no sense.

Hello! Welcome to Roger the Horse's Crazy Guide to what's cool and what's not!

It's hard to have much more fun than doing doughnuts in a Lamborghini, don't you agree? With the awesome noise and the menacing visual it...

...makes you look like an utter pillock who will probably get arrested sooner or later. Great fun, but seriously uncool.

Now let us move onto something which is cool, namely the opening sequence to The Prisoner.

Undeniably campy and silly, this intro however carries a certain je ne sai quoi that makes it incredibly, irresistibly cool.

And that's the thing about coolness. Je ne sai quoi, or in English "I don't know what". With a supercar one can fairly easily explain what it is about it that gives one pleasure, making it uncool. I have no idea why I find The Prisoner opening so appealing, and that's what makes it cool.

No, it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I find that video highly entertaining, but I also think that the person driving the Lamborghini is an anti-social pillock, as would 90% of everybody else, and being an anti-social pillock is seriously uncool.

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.

Just because you can't stomach the thought of someone having fun doesn't mean the rest of us have to put up with an ultrahippie viewpoint about cars.

"Oh noes! That car has anything other than a 1.0 I3 Diesel, burn it in an ecofriendly recycling centre."

I'd be cheering him on to do more donuts.

As would I, if not for the fragile Lambo clutches.

At this point I highly suspect you guys are randomly switching your viewpoints around just to mess with me.

Your first mistake was assuming there's even a "you guys" to begin with.

Plays to your me vs. the world mentality though.

Last edited:
It's more like how Bopop suddenly decided to agree with me on the last thing I would have expected anyone here to. Whatever. I'm not going to argue with it.

Back