• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2013+ Opel/Vauxhall Adam nominated by homeforsummer

800px-Opel-Adam_Green-front.JPG

Stats:
Production: 2012+
Style: 3-door hatchback
Engine: SIDI 61 ci/998 cc turbocharged DOHC? inline 3 (rated 89 HP & 122 lb-ft in low-output specification and 113 HP & 122 lb-ft in high-output specification), ecoFLEX 75 ci/1,229 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 69 HP & 85 lb-ft), ecoFLEX 85 ci/1,398 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 86 HP & 96 lb-ft in low-output specification and 99 HP & 96 lb-ft in high-output specification)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Front-drive
Related: Opel Corsa D​

Loses points for being small, cutesy, and having tiny engines. Gains points for being less hideous than that up! we had last time, and for not having an available automatic transmission. I'm gonna say Uncool.

At least you're consistent with your opinions (along with the other guy), threads about cars of this type are always entertaining. 👍

Would rather have a 500 instead, so Meh.

Immediate seriously uncool. Looks like a cheap piece of trash that likely wont perform well and is stupid slow. Shame these new cars are out powered by snowmobiles by up to 100 horsepower with exactly half the cylinders. And lol at the "high output" rating. That is not high output that is go cart output.

Its probably decent on gas but that's its only positive. To small for me and likely way too cramped inside. And its ugly as sin.

Ill pass on this one. Not cool at all.

Why the heck does it have a cheap knockoff of the Reventon's bladed fan wheels?

And same case with the Up: I'd rather have a MiTO. But I'm sparing it from the Seriously Uncool because it's a Vauxhall. Still uncool though.

Looks like a poor quality version of the VW UP!.

Looks like a micra that has been shrunk a bit.

Has a stupid name for a city car, looks like a half-finished mess and is less practical than my Corsa.

If this is trying to appeal to today's youth, it won't for me. I'll stick with my diesel Corsa, thanks.

Seriously Uncool.

Looks horrible. It's trying to hard to be a modern and trendy Fiat 500 to appeal to hipsters. And whats the point of 5 million different colour combinations? And to top it all off it has THE stupidest name ever given to a car. Uncool.

So many things uncool about the Adam, but it gets Seriously Uncool for just being a Vauxhall.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, I too feel like it's trying too hard to be cool.

I'll give it an uncool.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, I too feel like it's trying too hard to be cool.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Also, to me it looks like the roof has been cut off from a Corsa (or any other trying-to-be-sporty 3-door car) and put on the car like a baseball cap. At least they had the decency* not to make it look like it was put on backwards.
Uncool*.

*Personal opinion, not intended to be proclaimed as absolutely true.

It's a luxury mini-car based on a Daewoo Spark.

This one's a no-brainer.

Been waiting for this one to come up :mischievous:

Seriously uncool.

Why? Not because it's slow as some (*yawn*) members say about every single small car that comes through here (though it is crap to drive) and not even because of the name, though that doesn't help.

No. It's because the Adam is just about the definition of misunderstanding customers. Opel/Vauxhall knows that customers in Europe like small, neatly-designed cars that don't cost much to run but have a bit of quality about them. To the credit, the Adam is small, fairly well-designed for its type, doesn't cost much to run and feels fairly decent quality.

The trouble is they've done the typical Opel/Vauxhall trick of half-assing everything, and then making out like it's absolutely wonderful. The design looks good at a glance but look closer and it's just a facsimile of umpteen other cars. It doesn't cost much to run, but until pretty much today (a turbo'd 3-pot launched at Geneva) there was no single engine that actually returned decent mpg for its type, or decent performance.

And then they've dressed it up in tinsel as a misguided way of trying to make it cool. The trim lines are Glam, Slam and Jam for feck's sake. Colours include "James Blonde" (yellow), "Saturday White Fever" (white), "I'll be Black" (have a guess) and more. And it's available with dozens of interior options to turn it into the inside of a tart's handbag. This is Opel/Vauxhall misunderstanding the nature of configuration - the base product has to be desirable in the first place for dress-up kits to be relevant. See MINI, Fiat 500.

The Adam is uncool because it's essentially an insult to the customers it's aimed at. That they're not exactly selling in huge numbers suggests there aren't even enough stupid people hell-bent on buying a ridiculous Vauxhall as I thought there might be.

It's a luxury mini-car based on a Daewoo Spark Corsa

;)

There is not a single car I can think of that I want to own less than the Adam. I'm not a big fan of Vauxhalls in general (especially their current lineup), and the Corsa on which it is based is utterly dreary to drive, but at least the Corsa has room for people in the back, and most importantly, isn't trying way too hard to be a fashion accessory, and looking like a cheap knock-off of rivals' offerings in the process. Also, the name of the colours/trim levels etc make me cringe.

Last edited:
And to top it all off it has THE stupidest name ever given to a car.
I dunno.

They've seen Ferrari get away with it. Twice. And Ford - though they didn't exactly get away with it. Just because Adam Opel's name isn't particularly florid in other languages - it's not like Ferrari Henry, Dean or Ford Edsel work in English either.

Still, it'd be fun to see other manufacturers follow suit. The Audi August. The Lotus Colin. The Volkswagen Ferdinand. The Lamborghini Small Iron...
Shopping trolley.
When was the last time etc. etc. etc. etc.

This is...no. It's really uncool. It's ugly, only has a manual (which wouldn't work with the pea-brained starter drivers in 'Murica), and it's just.....I don't even know what it is. This car is just unappealing.

If this car was to be sold in America, the only brand it might make sense under is Saturn, but they're gone now.

Strangely, it will be sold in China as the Buick Adam. :boggled:

As has been mentioned already, it tries achingly hard to be cool and appeal to the young and hip (or to those who want a car that looks like an awkwardly designed Fiat 500, rather than an actual 500). Which is where it falls completely flat, unlike the Up!

The name 'Adam' is connected with Genesis. Genesis is also a band. Hammond hates 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)'. Thus sparing the Adam a Seriously Uncool vote. /obv

This is...no. It's really uncool. It's ugly, only has a manual (which wouldn't work with the pea-brained starter drivers in 'Murica), and it's just.....I don't even know what it is. This car is just unappealing.
I think you'll be surprised at the number of America's who actually can drive a standard but simply don't want to. I find that often.

As has been mentioned already, it tries achingly hard to be cool and appeal to the young and hip (or to those who want a car that looks like an awkwardly designed Fiat 500, rather than an actual 500). Which is where it falls completely flat, unlike the Up!

👍 At least Fiat (and Bini with the Mini, VW with the Beetle, Ford with the Mustang etc etc) are producing a retroish car based on their own design back catalogue. When have Vauxhall/Opel ever produced anything that the Adam resembles?

I knew a guy named Adam once. He was a real McAsshole. Works at Wal-Mart now. Probably would have wanted one of these just because it has his name.

Also, if I wanted a 500 I would just get one.

👍 At least Fiat (and Bini with the Mini, VW with the Beetle, Ford with the Mustang etc etc) are producing a retroish car based on their own design back catalogue. When have Vauxhall/Opel ever produced anything that the Adam resembles?
Oddly, that isn't my issue with the design.

Not producing a retro pastiche is probably a good thing, for which Opel can be applauded. It'd just be great if they'd come up with something original instead, rather than designing something that looks like it should have been based on a classic vehicle. The Citroen DS3 has a similar issue, but at least the DS3 treads its own path (and is actually a decent car in the first place).

If they'd come out with something truly modern then Opel may have been onto something. As it is they've rehashed a severely outdated Corsa platform by making it pseudo-cool and less practical.

It's a luxury mini-car based on a Daewoo Spark Corsa

To be honest, that's not any better. :lol:

To be completely pedantic, the Gamma II platform was developed under the auspices of GMDAT in Korea, hence Daewoo.

But to be even more pedantic, Daewoo's cars, before they folded, were almost all based on Opels, anyway, so you could make either argument.

As part of GM's global product development strategy, the Gamma II platform blah blah blah blah blah blah Ecotec blah blah blah uncool and so on and so forth...

That looks like the ugliest city car I've ever seen. Cars like that make me glad I live in America.

Back