• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2014+ BMW M4 (F82 / F83) nominated by @JASON_ROCKS1998

2015-bmw-m4-manual-tested-review-car-and-driver-photo-641625-s-original.jpg

Body Styles: 2-door coupe (F82) & convertible (F83)
Engine: 3.0L "S55B30" Twin Turbo I6
Power: 425 hp (M4), 444 hp (Comp Package), 493 hp (GTS)
Torque: 406 ft-lbs (M4 & Comp), 443 ft-lbs (GTS)
Weight: 1615 kg (Coupe MT), 1645 kg (Coupe DCT), 1750 kg (Convertible MT), 1780 kg (Convertible DCT), 1510 kg (GTS)
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 7-speed M DCT automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engined, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The coupe version of the BMW M3, the M4 is also the performance "M" version of the 4-Series. It is powered by the same 425HP 3.0 TT I6 as the M3. CFRP (Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic) is used extensively for this car and, for the first time in an M car, the car also has electric power steering specifically tuned for the M4.

Blue "M" brakes come as standard with gold carbon ceramic's available as an option. The M4 features "Active Sound" which amplifies the car's natural engine sound inside the car and also reduces road noise without producing any artificial sounds. Overall, over 50% of the parts in the M4 are different to those used in the 4-Series.

A convertible version was announced alongside the coupe and almost everything is shared between the cars but the cabrio weighs more due to it's retractible roof and also accelerates slower, but still managing a 4.3 0-60 in DCT form.

BMW announced the Competition Package for both M4's in 2016, which gives both models 444 BHP and a revised suspension. New springs, dampers and anti-roll bars complement the included Adaptive M Suspension. BMW also retuned the electronic differential and the Dynamic Stability Control to match the upgraded hardware. The interior remains largely unchanged, but Competition Package cars get new lightweight sport seats along with the M-striped woven seat belts.

In 2015, BMW also unveiled a "GTS" model of the M4 that went on sale in 2016. It is a track focused version of the M4 with a tuned version of the twin turbo I6 producing 493 BHP while weighing 105KG less than the M4 Coupe, weighing 1510KG. These improvements allow the GTS to do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, the same as a Nissan GT-R, and has lapped the Nurburgring with a time identical to that of the Porsche Carrera GT.

In the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters 4 teams run the BMW M4, with Marco Wittmann and Maxime Martin winning 5 races in 2014.

1024px-2015_BMW_M4_%28F82%29_coupe_%2824220553394%29.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

1024px-2015_BMW_M4_%28F82%29_coupe_%2824848705735%29.jpg

1280px-BMW_M4_Convertible_%2819048995150%29.jpg

m4-gts-1920x1200-03.jpg
m4-gts-1920x1200-04.jpg

bmw-m4-road-test-01.jpg

Uncool.

Sounds dreadful, and is a worse version of the M3. Not to mention it looks absolutely hideous.

I'd argue that the M4 tries too hard to be flashy compared to the two that you mentioned.
BMW usually doesn't go with the big engines, besides E60 or E92. It kinda is the simpliest and most engaging of the 3. To me it feels more subdued and doesn't hunt the power and luxury like it other 2.

The regular M4 is a low cool for me.

The GTS brings it down to meh.

MPower cars don't have cachet they once did. The M3/4 isn't the benchmark it once was. Uncool.

@Neddo Engine size isn't the most relevant factor when it comes to aesthetic terms like flashiness. Looks wise, I'd say the M4 is the biggest offender with the RS5 a close second, whereas the Merc doesn't really try anything at all unless you single out the ED1.

Oddly, and to its credit, I think Austin Yellow suits the M4 better than most other colours. Not that it helps with the vulgarity issue.

Uncool.

As much as I rarely find that particular yellow fitting on any vehicle, the designer designed the forms just right in combination with black wheels to make that yellow hella unique and attractive to me.

Also, I saw a 4 series in black with the splitter hooked up, and it became an insta-fave; this coming from someone who's bored of black cars.

You look at the E92 M3, and that car as smooth styling in the exterior.

You look at this, and, well... It's kinda all over the place.

Meh.

What amazes me is that there is apparently a factory "M-Performance" exhaust system that can be fitted that seems to work wonders in making it not sound like an old 300D wagon, but instead of fitting that as standard they just do the silly "play VB sounds through the stereo" thing.

Alright, give me three reasons why a stock 2016 BMW M4 is different than a 2016 BMW M3.
  • Weight
  • Price
  • Name
Mechanically, they're the same, being powered by the exact same Inline-6, But the major difference is that the M3 is a sedan, and the M4 is a coupe. The reason I think as to why they made the 4 series is to separate the 3 sedan and coupe altogether and give them their own identities.

BMW usually doesn't go with the big engines, besides E60 or E92. It kinda is the simpliest and most engaging of the 3. To me it feels more subdued and doesn't hunt the power and luxury like it other 2.
That's kinda the wrong way round.

When you're talking about a M performance car, you kinda have the description backwards. Based on several owner accounts, it's anything but subdued. So much so the M4 changes owners rather quickly. Styling wise, you notice a lot of the swoops and the angles and the curves and... it's just overly designing to make it stand out. That's flashy. The two competitors are more likely to get pass by unnoticed- not by a car enthusiast obviously- versus the M4.

There's a staff owner who owns a white M4. I have a feeling they only got it to feel high end and special. The M4 has played out for me- meh to almost uncool.

I agree with @Bram Turismo it seems like a stupid reason to just sell a two door, when you could have made it one to begin with or at least left it M3 and called it M3-C whatever. Instead of making a false specialty out of it being the same car with just two less doors. The only thing more confusing is the M5 vs. M6 GC...BMW as a whole is confusing which is a large part of the uncool.

I'd be like Cadillac making the V series cars they do in Sedan and Coupe and even Wagon but giving them their own specialty distinction when they're all essentially the same car in different body trims. Or Mercedes even with the AMG cars that happen to be Wagon and Sedan in the same line up.

What gets me more is the GTS and I've said this since the first info came out about it, you expect people to pay for a high performance M car, or beyond the basic performance an M car gets, right? But you do about as much work outwardly as Mansory, and nearly just as "good" looking. You but a off the rack rear wing, that I'd expect to find in a Euro aftermarket performance catalog, not BMW's M division and then have people pay much more for just that and tuning.

However, I must say I disagree with many here on looks, it's not a bad looking car in base trim, and I find it more appealing than some of it's counter parts. I just find the counter parts as a whole much more reasonable for the price.

Eh, I actually like the looks of the M4, though I tend to like vulgar cars.

Anyhow, it's not a cool car though. It really isn't; it doesn't excite me to see one as much as I get excited over an earlier M Performance BMW such as an e39 M5 or e30 M3. Not just that, the vulgar looks will indeed not seem cool to people and some of the owners do get bodyshop happy with them. For instance, at the Cars & Coffee I recently went to; there was a chrome painted M4 there. Just like the chrome paint chip you would find in GT6, that kids would probably place on their cars. To top it all off, I think the M4 GTS is a bit silly, especially with that wing. So, seriously uncool it is.

Uncool. Brings more confusion to BMW lineup than necessary. It doesn't look that good either. I hope the fact about poor reliability of M cars isn't true.

Looks wise, it's extremely cool (just not in that colour). Anyone who doesn't think it looks good needs to get their eyes checked.

But... that god awful sounding engine completely ruins it for me. Plus it's gotten too big over the years, and the M4 name is stupid.

So I think it's uncool. Give me an M2 any day

Back