GTP Cool Wall: 2014+ Chevrolet Corvette C7.R

2014+ Chevrolet Corvette C7.R

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By your logic, all sports are uncool because they all put a lot of effort into something that sounds menial like going around in a circle or hitting a ball into a goal.

That's correct. All sports are uncool, partly for that reason (the other part being because being competitive isn't cool either). But that doesn't make them bad.

But that's not the point, it's all about doing those things in the best way, and that is very difficult.

But not cool.

And race cars are where future technology is pioneered for road cars, that is often the entire point of racing programs (see Toyota in the WEC), so yes, a car having an average speed of 142 mph around Le Mans will be useful for someone in the future.

Noise is just a part of the cars being faster and more efficient than road cars.

Noise is a form of energy. If energy is being wasted as noise, it's not being used to make the car go faster. Road cars would make the same noise if you took all the silencers off.

More efficient? How so? In terms of fuel economy, the Audi LMP1s did 8.5mpg at Le Mans, and I would wager they were the most efficient cars there; I'd say they're probably the most efficient race cars anywhere, besides the Formula E Sparks. I find that impressive, but fuel economy is not cool.

Wearing ear protection is not shameful.

The car would be cooler if I didn't have to wear ear protection because of it.

It's also not like some road cars aren't loud as well.

And those road cars are almost always uncool too.

It's possible to see most of the track from spectator areas on a lot of circuits, so you aren't just seeing the cars for 2 seconds.

Having been to about half of the UK's major circuits, as well as Le Mans and the Nurburgring, the only track I've ever attended where that holds true is Brands Hatch Indy.

You can also watch onboard cameras, which is like being a passenger.

Onboard cameras are not even slightly like being a passenger. Watching onboards is interesting, but not immersive.

Also WRC cars carry two people and are race cars. It's not like you can't put another seat into a lot of race cars that are based off of road cars that have two or more seats.

OK, let's assume you'd put a passenger seat in a race car. Where would you go? Around in a circle on a track, or prehaps (ignoring the laws of the public highway for a moment) you could make your passenger have to endure low-profile tyres with hard suspension on a bumpy road (most roads being much bumpier than race tracks)? Having been shaken around and deafened, how cool do you think they would consider your race car then? And that's not taking in to account everyone you pass, who would consider you and your car to be so uncool it couldn't see cool with a telescope... although of course you wouldn't be able to hear that over the horrendous noise.

Just out of curiousity - and this has no bearing on how cool or uncool the C7.R is - do you have any first-hand experience of it? Everything I've posted about it has been from seeing it in person at Le Mans this year.

But the point of race cars is not to transport someone, it is to go around a track as fast as possible, which is the point of the sport.

I know that. But that doesn't make it cool. And the sport being uncool doesn't make it bad.

Roo
Liking something and something being cool are not the same thing.
Now I'm not saying you don't have the right to have this view on things--I'm the last person to have the right to say someone can't have an opinion, not that I would want to--but it strikes me as a very odd perspective to have.

I've seen the argument (and butted heads over it) before: "Just because you like something, it isn't necessarily cool." Think about the target audience, though. This site was founded in part because of someone's interest in a video game that attempts to simulate motorsport, and so it stands to reason that at least a small faction of those trafficking the site will have a common interest and that that interest will spread to real-world motorsport at the same time. If this site paid tribute to the Scandinavian modern design aesthetic, I don't imagine a Corvette of any kind would be viewed as cool by a significant portion of those visiting--but it doesn't.

That said, this race car doesn't do it for me as it's got lots of power, lots of rubber and lots of downforce.

Like = Cool

End of the story and I won't bother anymore with the cool wall anymore.
You're missing two words.
To me, Like = Cool
If you want to vote on cool wall cars that way, good for you. If other people don't, good for them. You don't get to tell them they're wrong, and they don't get to tell you you're wrong.

That is the end of the story.

Racecar or not, it's hard to drop any lower than Meh when it sounds as good as it does.

You don't get to tell them they're wrong, and they don't get to tell you you're wrong.

That is the end of the story.

Then stop telling people like me that this isn't a like wall. I treat this as a like wall weather people like it or not.

Then stop telling people like me that this isn't a like wall.
It isn't. Have a look at the title. That's a big clue that it's a Cool Wall, not a Like Wall.

The terms are not completely synonymous, or else there would not be two different terms.
I treat this as a like wall weather people like it or not.
You mean whether people cool it or not?

You are more than welcome to treat this as a Like Wall. Or a Smell Wall. Or a Suitability For Interstellar Travel Wall. Or whatever you want Wall. That doesn't make it anything other than what it is - a Cool Wall and, as above, the word "cool" and the word "like" mean different things or they would not both exist.

However, if you wish to permanently conflate what you like with what is cool, go right ahead. Just remember those two words "To me". This isn't a Like Wall, it's a Cool Wall, but if, to you, to like is to be cool, it's entirely up to you - just as it's entirely up to other people not to treat the terms synonymously.

Last edited:
Back