Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 5-door hatchback​
Renault-Twingo-1200x800-40cbbdf9bd33a69c.jpg

Renault-Twingo-1200x800-5d27cebc004308eb.jpg

Renault_Twingo_3_017.jpg

Renault_Twingo_3_022.jpg

Renault_Twingo_3_010.jpg
3_4_av_bleue_dragee_d_image_photo_leader.jpg

This thingie weighs 1050kg?? That can't be right.

Just checked. Dry weight is 919kg. That's a lot for such a tiny car.

Last edited:
Had my little sister vote on the two polls today, she said this one was Meh, almost Cool

Kudos to Renault for going with an RR layout, but without a full-on Renaultsport version, it just looks like the average city car fashion item. Modern fashion items that try to be retro are Uncool.

Well, I was singing the praises of the Cactus the other day, and my feelings for this are largely similar. Love the way it looks, not pretentious in any way, and does the typical cool, small French car thing really well.

Being rear engined/rear wheel drive, I cant wait for the RenaultSport version, too. Sub zero.

It actually weighs 864kg.

Yeah. I just checked it. It starts at 840kg and goes up to 919 for the full spec version. With all of today's options and safety measures that would be a correct weight.

Anyway, this should be good fun to drive with the 90hp turbo hanging in the rear. Looks cuddly, albeit a bit too much Fiat. Still cool.

Too new to be Sub-Zero. It's a Smart with a French accent, which hurts too.

Still, solid Cool. Shame there's no chance of it coming here.

RR layout gives off vibes of classic commuter cars, like the Beetle, original Fiat 500, Subaru 360 and so on, and that's cool in my eyes. Plus, the majority of French brands seem to be getting back into their stride of quirky little cars again, which is also cool. That said, this Twingo doesn't seem to have the honest, no-nonsense appeal of the original model which I strangely find to be quite cool.

800px-Renault_Twingo_front_20080709.jpg

Hmm... I'll give it a low cool, since I liked the previous generations.

Modern fashion items that try to be retro are Uncool.

It doesn't try nearly as hard as the 500 or MINI.

Sure, the shape and angle of the rear hatch were inspired by the Renault 5 while the engine position was influenced by the 5 Turbo. But it looks like an entirely original, modern design that isn't too far removed from other current Renault models. Unlike the other small retro superminis that are concurrently spawning their own sub-ranges with varying degrees of yuck.

It's a grown-up take on the previous Twingos with a hint of 80s vim. Cool.

Seriously uncool. Smart cars, small economy cars and all that are not cool.

It's RR, but don't forget it's Smart car origins.
Depending on what you mean by "Smart car", that's either not really true or not true.

Usually "Smart car" over here refers specifically to the original MCC Smart, latterly the Smart ForTwo. While it's true that the 3rd generation Renault Twingo was codeveloped with the 2nd generation Smart, the ForTwo underpinnings are a modification of the Twingo's, which the Twingo shares with the ForFour (which was, in its first generation, a Mitsubishi Colt)...

Depending on what you mean by "Smart car", that's either not really true or not true.

Usually "Smart car" over here refers specifically to the original MCC Smart, latterly the Smart ForTwo. While it's true that the 3rd generation Renault Twingo was codeveloped with the 2nd generation Smart, the ForTwo underpinnings are a modification of the Twingo's, which the Twingo shares with the ForFour (which was, in its first generation, a Mitsubishi Colt)...
Well, the Twingo does share a platform with the forFour, but the ForFour platform is also a stretched version of the ForTwo, albeit with a few modifications for rigidity, etc.

Well, the Twingo does share a platform with the forFour, but the ForFour platform is also a stretched version of the ForTwo, albeit with a few modifications for rigidity, etc.
Other way round. Renault and Daimler codeveloped the platform for the Twingo and ForFour, and it was shortened for the ForTwo - which will be built at its own factory at Smartville in France, separately from the Twingo/ForFour in Slovenia.

The French really have got their mojo together in the last few years. What a neat, stylish, indelibly cool little car. I also have a soft spot for the series 1 Twingo, when I was in France they were everywhere, yet never even offered to us in the UK.

Looking up some pics for this also led me to discover the existence of the Twingo V8, which is an insane little car, so I've @Roger the Horse to thank indirectly for that :)

Back