Body Style: 2-door coupé
Engine: 3.8L twin-turbocharged V8
Power: 666 hp
Torque: 515 ft-lbs
Weight: 1328 kg
Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
Drivetrain: Mid-engined, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Inspired by the McLaren F1 "Longtail", the company's answer to the Ferrari 458 Speciale could hit 62mph/100km/h from standstill in 2.9 seconds, and carry on to a top speed of 205mph/330km/h. Only 500 were produced, with all examples sold to customers before production even started.​

12235.jpg
mclaren-675lt-longtail-0809.0.png.jpg
McLaren_675LT_Silverstone-m126.jpg
2016-McLaren-675LT-interior.jpg
2015-Mclaren675LT-08.jpg

This is the finale of the GTP Cool Wall, and my final choice is seriously uncool.

I should have nominated something silly as a send-off...

It's a 21st century supercar... which we all know are driven by the absolute most coolest people on the planet. Need I explain more?

I don't mind it actually. I don't have a severe hatred towards McLarens, they are very well made. Cool. Also, the car in the second image is one I've actually seen in real life. Don't believe me? Here:
pIVM4UM.jpg

frTD8B0.jpg

Fantastic car. Quite a looker, too, in my opinion. But it's not actually a longtail (it's shorter than the 650S), and it's a modern supercar. Great drive brings it up to uncool.

It's lightweight, It's got the power of the devil, The rear wing looks like a batarang, It's limited and exclusive too?

Seriously Uncool, give me a Speciale instead.

This is the finale of the GTP Cool Wall, and my final choice is seriously uncool.

I should have nominated something silly as a send-off...

Just another modern super car that goes quickly and doesn't look that special.

Uncool.

Tacky and vulgar compared to the 650S.

Uncool.

Shmee owned one. Uncool.

Fantastic car. Quite a looker, too, in my opinion. But it's not actually a longtail (it's shorter than the 650S), and it's a modern supercar. Great drive brings it up to uncool.

It's lightweight, It's got the power of the devil, The rear wing looks like a batarang, It's limited and exclusive too?

Seriously Uncool, give me a Speciale instead.

Seriously uncool, like all cars of its ilk.

You guys are out of your friggin minds. Any McLaren at a car show, at a track day, on the road, in a parking lot, at a restaurant draws tons of interest from just about everyone in the vicinity. You can park one of these in front of the valet station and keep the key. If you take one of these to your swanky hotel, it stays out front. It is about as close to objectively cool as it gets. You're voting based on some other criteria.

You guys are out of your friggin minds. Any McLaren at a car show, at a track day, on the road, in a parking lot, at a restaurant draws tons of interest from just about everyone in the vicinity. You can park one of these in front of the valet station and keep the key. If you take one of these to your swanky hotel, it stays out front. It is about as close to objectively cool as it gets. You're voting based on some other criteria.

If this is a forum where car enthusiasts can call race cars uncool because they go around in circles, I can call a McLaren uncool.

One of my top 5 in a "just for the drive" kind of way.

Sure, day to day it will get to be a little annoying at times (I have no doubt) but for what I want out of a car it doesn't get much better than this.

Btw, my neighbor's buddy came by his house on day in a 650 and I found it much more appealing in person than I ever had in the various forms of previously viewed media. It's a big part of why I'm so fond of the 675 and 675LT.

Perhaps cars like these are viewed very differently in the UK compared to the US?

Fundamentally, displays of wealth in general are viewed very differently: in the US displays of wealth are generally encouraged and seen as the right of the wealthy. They've earned it, and it's cool of them to share it with everyone else by buying cool stuff for them to look at. In the UK, displays of wealth are seen very poorly, and the general reaction is that of discuss. Walk around with a £5k Rolex? That makes you a wanker. Drive a brand new £200k car? That makes you a wanker. Older stuff gets more of a pass because it's clearly for someone who is enthusiastic, and it somewhat bypasses this general cultural rule since the people who do actually want to show off their wealth (and there are a surprising number of them) will always default to new and modern cars.

If this is a forum where car enthusiasts can call race cars uncool because they go around in circles, I can call a McLaren uncool.

You can. You're just going to have trouble backing that up.

Perhaps cars like these are viewed very differently in the UK compared to the US?

Fundamentally, displays of wealth in general are viewed very differently: in the US displays of wealth are generally encouraged and seen as the right of the wealthy. They've earned it, and it's cool of them to share it with everyone else by buying cool stuff for them to look at. In the UK, displays of wealth are seen very poorly, and the general reaction is that of discuss. Walk around with a £5k Rolex? That makes you a wanker. Drive a brand new £200k car? That makes you a wanker. Older stuff gets more of a pass because it's clearly for someone who is enthusiastic, and it somewhat bypasses this general cultural rule since the people who do actually want to show off their wealth (and there are a surprising number of them) will always default to new and modern cars.

I have a hard time believing that. So your soccer players drive old or cheap cars so that they can maintain a strong brand image? So that they're not seen with disgust? Celebrities (which trade partially on their celebrity status and image) must be making sure to keep that image tidy by refusing to wear or drive anything flashy then.

I have a hard time believing that. So your soccer players drive old or cheap cars so that they can maintain a strong brand image? So that they're not seen with disgust? Celebrities (which trade partially on their celebrity status and image) must be making sure to keep that image tidy by refusing to wear or drive anything flashy then.
I'm glad you've brought up footballers, they're the perfect example with which to prove my point. Notice, if you will, how in this article footballers are grouped with drug dealers for their impact on a car's image: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/british/jeremy-range-rover

Yes, it's Clarkson, and he's a bit of a pillock, but in this case he's not alone in disliking "footballer's cars":

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/cayenne/60960/porsche-cayenne-s-diesel-2013
It has the mid-range grunt of the Turbo, but not the big fuel bills and footballer image.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bentley/continental-gt
Against: Running costs, price, footballer image

https://www.topgear.com/group/bentley
Threatened as ever by the smear of thick footballers and pompous pop *****, it delivers an experience that no patriotic car lover can honestly bemoan.

http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/9595/bologna-motor-show-toyota-fc
the crazy styling complemented by rather large alloys more at home on a Premier League footballer's Hummer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2282889/Bentley-Continental-James-Martin-Premier-League-footballers-love-car-shouldnt-off.html
Premier League footballers love this car, but don't let it put you off a Bentley Continental

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/bentley-continental-gt-2145554.html
Which came first: the car or the image? Bentley's Continental GT is readily dismissed by the cynical as a "footballers' car".

Footballers don't particularly care about their image off the field, hence the general disgust. Those who do care will often drive much less flashy cars on a daily basis, even if they own exotics or classics for fun.

What better way to close out the GTP Cool Wall but yet another disagreement begging the question of why it was ever an open poll if the point is to affirm the coolness of a car as an elusive "objective" quality arbitrated by the perceptions of an undefined third party, as very loosely established by the light-hearted blustering of TV entertainers whose standards we may or may not have been supposed to follow, right?

The U.K. proudly celebrates royalty that has multiple castles and who knows how many other frivolous items.

Your point is invalid.

The U.K. proudly celebrates royalty that has multiple castles and who knows how many other frivolous items.

Actually quite a lot of us want the Royal Family abolished.

For many of us (myself included) this simple key determines if we care about the Royal Family or not.

Something happens with the Royal Family > Do we get a day off work because of it?

= NO : Don't care about it.
= YES: God Save The Queen.

What better way to close out the GTP Cool Wall but yet another disagreement begging the question of why it was ever an open poll if the point is to affirm the coolness of a car as an elusive "objective" quality arbitrated by the perceptions of an undefined third party, as very loosely established by the light-hearted blustering of TV entertainers whose standards we may or may not have been supposed to follow, right?
If you'd bothered to read my post you'd have seen that only one of 7 of my sources are from a TV presenter, and the rest hail from a range of publications, with the point being that this isn't just a niche view but actually a product of British culture and thus a very commonly held view.

Not half as much as you lot do; the American public are more obsessed with our royalty than we are.

Who's we? You were born here dude, nothing will ever change that no matter how hard you try.

Of course your identity problems don't change the fact that British citizens pay for the royal family.

Thank you. Exactly like that in Continental Europe (I live in Germany btw, but have lived in Brussels for a time). Supercars driven by City Boys as daily runarounds in Paris or Berlin are usually so uncool....People cringe when they see them coming with far too loud modified exhausts, destroying the peace of a quiet neighbourhood...others take Pictures of course, but it´s not what i call cool.

Of course coolness is absolutely subjective but I´d rather call an oddball 2+2 from a 80s or 90s (e32 7 series, an original, unmolested VW Corrado idk things like that) detective Show "cool" than any modern supercar. It´s usually posers in sunglasses no matter the weather who are driving them in first gear through City Centers. Clarkson said that supercars can´t be cool and he has a Point. They are fast, technical masterpieces, admirable, addicting...but cool? hmmm.....There are exceptions of the rule I´ll say. It also depends on the owner....European "car cool" for me is what I saw in Italy 2010: A Family father with 2 Dogs in the boot, 2 Kids in the back and a beautiful wife in front of his 2005 e63 estate (all badges off), having a grin on his face when he accelerated away from a Zebra crossing (No burnout, just quicker than normal).

Back