GTP Cool Wall: 2015-2017 McLaren 675LT Coupé

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 110 comments

2015-2017 McLaren 675LT Coupé

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who's we? You were born here dude, nothing will ever change that no matter how hard you try.

Of course your identity problems don't change the fact that British citizens pay for the royal family.
There's no need for personal attacks; I fail to see how the fact that I'm an immigrant means that I have less knowledge of British culture than you do.

Is this cool wall vs like wall again?
This time around it appears to be American cool vs. British cool, though there's a surprising amount of resistance to the idea that different countries might have different standards of what's cool or not.

You guys are out of your friggin minds. Any McLaren at a car show, at a track day, on the road, in a parking lot, at a restaurant draws tons of interest from just about everyone in the vicinity. You can park one of these in front of the valet station and keep the key. If you take one of these to your swanky hotel, it stays out front. It is about as close to objectively cool as it gets. You're voting based on some other criteria.

Perhaps it's perceived differently in different countries, but showing off just isn't cool.

There's a long shopping street in my city, away from the town centre, where all the smart bars, fashion stores and chain restaurants are. Expensive cars aren't uncommon there, but they're never parked up, you see them drive past in slow traffic, in a low gear or just with an obnoxiously load exhaust, then five minutes later once they've reached the roundabout at one end, you'll see them drive past the other way. Then another five minutes there they are heading back the other way again. I also live on the edge of the Peak District where there's some great (if often busy) driving roads. Do you ever see those GT3's, 488s or Aventadors out being enjoyed in the manner the engineers envisioned them being used? No. They're too busy being showed off on a busy shopping street. It's not just where i live, you see it everywhere.

The Word your looking for is Tall poppy syndrome.

Owning a supercar isn't showing off, unless your actually trying to show off, it's a car at the end of the day.

Appearance wise, the outgoing Super Series seemed to be the most tasteless range of McLarens. With the LT being the worst offender.

Not to knock them entirely, but something about them screams "Notice me, Wilmslow!" more so than other super cars in that neck of the woods. At least a P1 looks suitably outlandish using the same design language.

If you'd bothered to read my post you'd have seen that only one of 7 of my sources are from a TV presenter, and the rest hail from a range of publications, with the point being that this isn't just a niche view but actually a product of British culture and thus a very commonly held view.
Huh? I was referring to Danoff's post, and by TV entertainers I mean Top Gear.

Huh? I was referring to Danoff's post, and by TV entertainers I mean Top Gear.
Oh, sorry. I'd assumed that since I mentioned Clarkson I'd get quite a lot of flak for it, I suppose I was a bit too ready to defend myself there...

I'm glad you've brought up footballers, they're the perfect example with which to prove my point. Notice, if you will, how in this article footballers are grouped with drug dealers for their impact on a car's image: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/british/jeremy-range-rover

Yes, it's Clarkson, and he's a bit of a pillock, but in this case he's not alone in disliking "footballer's cars":

Footballers don't particularly care about their image off the field, hence the general disgust. Those who do care will often drive much less flashy cars on a daily basis, even if they own exotics or classics for fun.

But footballers are cool. You may not like them, I may not like them, but they're cool none-the-less. I may not like Paris Hilton, but she's cool... almost undeniably. You can also choose not to want to have a particular image, and that image can still be cool. Clarkson may not want to own a "footballer's car" because he's Clarkson, but that doesn't make the image uncool. Also, drug dealers are fairly cool. Don't get me wrong, I despise drug dealers, wouldn't want to hang out with one, wouldn't want to be one, etc., but they have a cool image. That's not even a question of my personal opinion (because I can't stand it), it's almost an economic fact. What would so many rap stars go so far out of their way to look like drug dealers if it weren't cool. It helps sell albums because it's cool. Generally, I don't like what is cool, and I don't particularly lust after this McLaren. But I recognize that I am not cool.

Paris%20Hilton%20Buys%20a%20Black%20McLaren%20650S%20Spider%20-%2006.jpg

Thank you. Exactly like that in Continental Europe (I live in Germany btw, but have lived in Brussels for a time). Supercars driven by City Boys as daily runarounds in Paris or Berlin are usually so uncool....People cringe when they see them coming with far too loud modified exhausts, destroying the peace of a quiet neighbourhood...others take Pictures of course, but it´s not what i call cool.

Perhaps it's perceived differently in different countries, but showing off just isn't cool.

There's a long shopping street in my city, away from the town centre, where all the smart bars, fashion stores and chain restaurants are. Expensive cars aren't uncommon there, but they're never parked up, you see them drive past in slow traffic, in a low gear or just with an obnoxiously load exhaust, then five minutes later once they've reached the roundabout at one end, you'll see them drive past the other way. Then another five minutes there they are heading back the other way again. I also live on the edge of the Peak District where there's some great (if often busy) driving roads. Do you ever see those GT3's, 488s or Aventadors out being enjoyed in the manner the engineers envisioned them being used? No. They're too busy being showed off on a busy shopping street. It's not just where i live, you see it everywhere.

They're overplaying it. They bought a cool car that gets attention, and they play up the attention so far that they look like posers. That doesn't mean the car is uncool, it means they don't know how to wield it properly. In American football there is a saying for this, "When you get into the end zone, act like you’ve been there before.” It's cool to get there, but you can ruin it if you over do it.

You guys are out of your friggin minds. Any McLaren at a car show, at a track day, on the road, in a parking lot, at a restaurant draws tons of interest from just about everyone in the vicinity. You can park one of these in front of the valet station and keep the key. If you take one of these to your swanky hotel, it stays out front. It is about as close to objectively cool as it gets. You're voting based on some other criteria.

But just because a car like a Mclaren, or any modern super-car for that matter, gathers vast interest doesn't mean it's instantly cool. Besides, the 675LT just comes across as another sharp-edged, fancy coloured, fast travelling super car, that doesn't look that pretty or appear as special. It's one of the reasons I'm not the massive super car guy, as I like the obscure and odd with my exotics; something that wouldn't necessarily gather such vast attention.

Plus the general publicity and portrayal? if you will, of modern super cars sort of marks down their coolness even more. Least that's how I'd judged the coolness as an "average car guy"..

But just because a car like a Mclaren, or any modern super-car for that matter, gathers vast interest doesn't mean it's instantly cool.

...pretty much. It's not like it gathers interest because it's ugly.

Besides, the 675LT just comes across as another sharp-edged, fancy coloured, fast travelling super car, that doesn't look that pretty or appear as special.

I know right? I mean... dime a dozen really.

Besides the 675LT, I'll admit the McLaren range (past and present) hasn't exactly ignited any real interest from me. Even the P1 has lost its shine over the last couple of years.

I would be more than content if I could drive a 675LT. Don't get me wrong, the other McLaren's are probably fantastic to drive, and no doubt are finished to a high standard, but for one reason or another, I don't find them desirable.

But footballers are cool. You may not like them, I may not like them, but they're cool none-the-less. I may not like Paris Hilton, but she's cool... almost undeniably. You can also choose not to want to have a particular image, and that image can still be cool. Clarkson may not want to own a "footballer's car" because he's Clarkson, but that doesn't make the image uncool.
Footballers may be cool in the US, but they're not cool here. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about the fact that Americans and Brits have different standards for coolness? And if coolness is as simple as saying "footballers are cool" then why does this poll exist? The whole point of the cool wall is that different people have different ideas about coolness, and that also extends to different cultures.

It's not a cool car. But that's my opinion... if I'm allowed to have that here without someone telling me I'm wrong about it.

Footballers may be cool in the US, but they're not cool here. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about the fact that Americans and Brits have different standards for coolness?

Well, for one, there is not one standard for Americans or one standard for Brits. You're trying to tell me that fooballers are not cool over there, but to demonstrate that you'd need to show me that there is not a sizeable segment of the population that thinks they're cool. On the otherhand, for me to say there are, there only needs to be a sizeable segment of the population that thinks so. Presumably the people showing up to autograph signings would do. I assume nobody goes to those?

Cool does not mean good. It does not mean smart, or successful, or competent. It also is not synonymous with "I like it". "Cool" is not an easy thing to pin down, but one of the most common elements is appealing to at least a decent segment of the population. While sitting at the D&D table, someone might describe someone's D&D character build as being cool, but in a general context it would not be. On the otherhand, it's pretty hard to argue that any celebrity is uncool. There are a few notable exceptions (like Weird Al maybe), but for the most part, if they're a celebrity, they have enough of a following to be considered cool.

McLarens generate that attraction from a sizable portion of the population.

It's not a cool car. But that's my opinion... if I'm allowed to have that here without someone telling me I'm wrong about it.

Why do you have that opinion? Or did you not want to actually use the discussion forum to discuss stuff?

Why do you have that opinion? Or did you not want to actually use the discussion forum to discuss stuff?
Nah, you took the fun out of this thread. We are on a videogame/ car forum, why in the world do we need to discuss in such detail why we think a car is cool or not? It's completely subjective. :lol:

If I say it's not a cool car because rich jackasses drive them then you'd rip apart my reply with some BS for no reason at all other than to argue. Move on, lighten up, these threads were just for fun.
It's a McLaren

1687312-deepfreeze.png
Considering this was your first reply anyways... I don't see you listing reasons off either why you think it's Sub-Zero.

Nah, you took the fun out of this thread. We are on a videogame/ car forum, why in the world do we need to discuss in such detail why we think a car is cool or not? It's completely subjective.

Yea you're right. Nothing worth discussing. Close thread.

If I say it's not a cool car because rich jackasses drive them then you'd rip apart my reply with some BS for no reason at all other than to argue. Move on, lighten up, these threads were just for fun.

I'm having fun. Class warfare is an interesting topic. It's interesting to me that people might demonize something simply because they can't afford it right now.

Considering this was your first reply anyways... I don't see you listing reasons off either why you think it's Sub-Zero.

Well, for one, there is not one standard for Americans or one standard for Brits. You're trying to tell me that fooballers are not cool over there, but to demonstrate that you'd need to show me that there is not a sizeable segment of the population that thinks they're cool. On the otherhand, for me to say there are, there only needs to be a sizeable segment of the population that thinks so. Presumably the people showing up to autograph signings would do. I assume nobody goes to those?

Football in the UK is incredibly partisan. If a footballer plays for a team different to the one you follow, you’ll hate them. It’s just the way it is. So you have a one in ninety two chance of being despised by football fans. The non-football fan part of the population will at best be indifferent towards you. But in general, football players don’t have a great reputation.

*you guys must be crazy to be able to have a different opinion than me!*

I much prefer the 650s over this, I'd vote this meh. I always feel McLaren to be a little lazy what with how they copy and paste they're vehicles over multiple models. The 570 is different enough but that's just... ugly.

Last edited:
Not what I said. What I said was that you're crazy to not think that a car which by itself draws a crowd is "cool".

strawman.jpg
Whatever helps you sleep. Idiots draw crowds too, are they cool?

It's funny that you say that though, because you literally quoted everyone that had a different opinion. Your actions are going against your words.

Last edited:
A car is not cool simply because it draws a crowd and is associated with people with lots of disposable income.

Exhibit A.

tHicduu.jpg

Whatever helps you sleep. Idiots draw crowds too, are they cool?

It's funny that you say that though, because you literally quoted everyone that had a different opinion. Your actions are going against your words.
A car is not cool simply because it draws a crowd and is associated with people with lots of disposable income.

Those are great points. I'm sure you're not implying that this car is drawing a crowd because it looks absurd and people are laughing at it though so... you lost me.

And here I assumed LT stood for Luxury Trim. Shows what I think of this sort of thing.

Those are great points. I'm sure you're not implying that this car is drawing a crowd because it looks absurd and people are laughing at it though so... you lost me.
If you're lost on the fact that something that draws a crowd doesn't automatically make it cool then I don't know what to tell you. Some of the most ugly cars at cars shows draw crowds too. Drawing crowds is not enough of a reason, as like I said, the stupidest things can draw crowds. Expensive things Garner attention from the lot just because they're expensive. I don't think the car is offensive, but I also don't think it's cool. I liked the MP4-12c the most to be honest, and that's probably why I tolerate the 650s, but this just seems unnecessary and lazy for the reasons posted above.

Last edited:
Back