GTP Cool Wall: 2015+ Toyota Prius (4th Gen)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 73 comments

2015+ Toyota Prius (4th Gen)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It looks decent, i quite like the styling. Plus its pretty comfortable, i sat in the front and back of one and i had plenty of leg and head room. Only thing i didn't like was the little blue gear knob. But other than that i really enjoyed it. SZ

It's the Prius with the Guy Fawkes mask...

I always think there's a little bit of very low cool with them, there's a cheesy 1970s science-fiction air about them; whereas a Lamborghini Countach looks right out of The Clockwork Orange, the Prius seems more at home as an extra in The Sleeper.

Sometimes the sounds of near-silence are nice in a noisy world.

Steers like a Rubbermaid mop-and-bucket if you're trying to have slalom-ish fun, though.

Nice rental car to acquire if you're paying for gas. Fun to watch the fuel economy gauges on a long trip.

Meh.

Despite the fact that they made this thing look like an Eva, it's at least more interesting than the old ones that faded into the background.

Uncool.

I actually quite like the second gen Prius, I thought it was a pretty good looking car, but they completely ruined it wth this generation. They turned it into one of, if not the, ugliest production cars Toyota has ever made.

SU

Last year my dad decided to bid on a 2004 Prius at the auction. He won the auction for $3200. At first I figured he would just flip it, but he loves the thing. 285k miles and it runs perfectly. He averages just over 50mpg usually, and he has a heavy foot for an old guy. The only thing he had to fix was the A/C, which we mostly did ourselves.

The car is roomy and has enough power to run with most traffic. But it is dreadful to drive imo. The steering feels numb, and the brakes feel funny the way they grab. Probably due to the regen braking, but it could be all the miles. The economy information is sort of neat to watch. The CVT and the car pulling it's start/stop routine takes getting used to. For dad's '04 I would just about call it cool, especially at the price he paid for it. Just so you know he also owns a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed manual, along with a 1986 Mercedes 560SL. It balances out. :lol:

As for the new car... Seriously Uncool.

It's seriously, seriously uncool for a young person, but for an older person I think it's actually a well fit car. While it's not pretty in any stretch, it's interesting, and to me that makes all the difference. In a buzzing high art society, it fits, which sort of makes it cool in my book.

Balanced to uncool.

It's a hybrid that's trying to stand out in the crowd, so I guess I could give it points for effort.

Uncool curved to a Meh.

how did thi design ever get signed off - it's so ugly.

latest

I don't care that you think you're saving the world (toxic batteries?) it's not cool. At all. And it never will be.

@LivingWithGames The Tesla is subzero to me too. In fact, basically all hybrid/electric vehicles, with a few exceptions, are subzero to me.

And yeah, I'm really eco-conscious.

I also understand why many people think it's seriously uncool.

I have literally never once in my life encountered an annoying Prius owner. What I have encountered is many teenagers complaining about a made up fantasy of Prius owners.

I have. I've been screamed at more than once while fueling my truck up and I've ever since the emissions scandal came to light with VW I've had people yell at me for driving my TDI too. And by people I mean Prius owners, I can't recall anyone else yelling at me for killing the environment.

And to think dad wanted to pull the catalytic converter on his '04 until I talked him out of it. He just digs the mileage.

It makes him happy since it does better on gas than the Harley he got rid of last year. He likes to travel, so more mpg means more money to spend once he gets there.

Last edited:
The previous generation, although a bit bland on the whole, actually looked good at the right angle and in a decent colour. Especially with the completely superfluous (but still tasteful) lip kit they offered for a while.

This though, even without the connotations of eco nerds or what have you, looks abysmal. Uncool, almost seriously so.

I have literally never once in my life encountered an annoying Prius owner. What I have encountered is many teenagers complaining about a made up fantasy of Prius owners.

This. Outside of a very small number of anecdotes, the Prius driver image appears to mostly be projection.

--

I'll vote cool here, largely because I really like the Prius v, by far the best vehicle I've ever taken on a long road trip.

I think the Prius owner douche-badge was initially earned, but while Prius' have been attracting less douche-owners over the last few years, society hasn't caught up yet.
Most of the time now I see people driving them borderline fast.

I'd be interested to see what mileage they can achieve being driven that hastily.

You haven't considered that it's comfortable, has a quiet ride, is very technological, has an interior, the price is low, the fuel economy is high and it has higher build quality than other mid-range family cars.
giphy.gif

I'll give this car a 'meh'. I like the technology behind the hybrid system but as a car it's not appealing to me whatsoever.

Back