GTP Cool Wall: 2019- Toyota Supra

2019- Toyota Supra

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Although it shares virtually nothing in common with the previous four Supra generations other than being called "Supra" and having RWD and an inline-six, I do quite like it overall. The fact that it's so closely related to the BMW Z4 doesn't at all bother me, nor does it make this car any less of a "true" Supra. The fact that it doesn't share as much styling cues from the FT-1 as many of us hoped doesn't bother me, either. Being that the GT86 and RCF are becoming long-in-the-tooth by now, this is the exact type of car Toyota needed to keep it's sports car lineup relevant. I'm glad Toyota stayed true to RWD and the inline-six, as less and less sports cars have these, and that it isn't ridiculously overpowered either; 335hp is definitely enough for it to be exciting, and it doesn't need much more than that. If only Toyota will pull through and give it a manual, I'll like it even more. Styling wise, it looks quite attractive from some angles, showing close resemblance to the new Z4, but looks fussy and over-styled on others. It certainly isn't ugly, but not exactly a design revelation either.

Also, I don't quite buy the notion that the C8 Corvette will seriously hurt new Supra sales. Two completely different types of buyers.

But it is cool? I'm not so sure it is. It's going to be the next official car of "bros" and "stance lyfe" types, a far cry from cool. Though I will say, the fact that it pisses off so many "purists" does make it marginally cooler. Still, it's an Uncool from me.

Last edited:
Pretty much what he said before me. I like it. I think having a manual would make it better, but I don't really care too much. I care even less about the BMW stuff, and calling it "BMWsupra" or "Zupra" or other such things is an overused and stupid joke. The BMW thing only serves to make it better. Toyota's weird **** about licensing lately is what makes me wary of this car, more than the manual or BMW complaints. Still, it's a cool looking little sports car in a world where that's a shrinking market, it's quick enough, turns well enough (from what I've read) and seems like it should hold its own against its competition. Solid cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to go Sub-Zero with this for many reasons, but went with a Cool just because there is a couple of little things with the styling that just doesn't click with me.
But in general it looks good, appears to go alright too, so that's enough for me to give it a Cool.
(Yes, I dont care about the BMW this, and Supra history that, judging purely on what is in front of us.)

(Obligatory "Z4 coupe" joke)

That aside I'll give it a Cool. It didn't lose too much in terms of styling compared to the FT-1 and the car certainly performs.

A machine that pisses off these types of people:

- FnF fans who grew up watching the first movie
- 2JZ purists

And that increases the cool factor for me.

Also in addition, for me it looks better than the A80 Supra in terms of design.

Overall? Car gets a cool from me.

Any car that irritates purists for simply existing gets a cool from me. It'd be subzero if it hadn't been the Duke Nukem Forever of cars though.
And some people seem to be "meh" towards the A90 in the same way as Duke Nukem Forever, a game that probably would have been better off a different kind of DNF.

I voted "meh" because... Meh. It's just... Meh. It's not ugly, but I wouldn't call nice either. It's a RWD sports car without a manual. It's pretty expensive damn expensive as well...

Honestly I wish could change my vote to uncool. Giving the FRS/GT86 wider tires and figuring out a way to turbo charge it and it would have been cheaper for everyone.

It's RWD with an inline-6, light and compact, and very accomplished...but it's automatic-only, brand new, and an overbaked concept car that looks like a flabby Japanese TVR. It could grow on me, but it hasn't yet. Uncool.

It just strikes me as a gasping reach across the finish line of its development, a cynical effort for a follow-up to the Toyobaru. Hewing to a decade-old idea of a shape, while conforming to present-day requirements. Neither forward-looking, nor fashionably contemporary, nor particularly nostalgic and impassioned, IMO. Just kind of shuffling into existence, finally.

I like it. It stands on its own, even with such a big nameplate history looming over it.

Nice design, not too understated but not too shouty. I'll give it a cool.

Although it shares virtually nothing in common with the previous four Supra generations other than being called "Supra" and having RWD and an inline-six

So... What else does it need to be considered as a true Supra successor? :confused:

SVX
Nice design, not too understated but not too shouty. I'll give it a cool.

So... What else does it need to be considered as a true Supra successor? :confused:
I had meant that in terms of the exterior styling. It shares next-to-nothing in common with the look of the Mk. IV or any other generation, and being that this car was given a nostalgic name, many expected it would bear more styling cues from its predecessors.

Toyota should've at least put spiders in the new Supra's taillights :lol:

I had meant that in terms of the exterior styling. It shares next-to-nothing in common with the look of the Mk. IV or any other generation, and being that this car was given a nostalgic name, many expected it would bear more styling cues from its predecessors.

Toyota should've at least put spiders in the new Supra's taillights :lol:

So the A80 isn't a true Supra either then? As far as I know it looks nothing like an A70 or A60.

SVX
So the A80 isn't a true Supra either then? As far as I know it looks nothing like an A70 or A60.
All I'm saying is, when a new sports car surfaces in the 21st century that shares the name of an iconic but discontinued line of cars, it tends to have many design cues from those cars. For example, the 5th-gen Camaro clearly shows similarities in design to the original, and so does the 2008- Dodge Challenger, 2005 Ford GT, 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird, Volkswagen New Beetle, etc.

That doesn't make the A90 more or less of a good car nor a "true Supra". Take the 2004-2007 Pontiac GTO for example (same car as Vauxhall/Holden/Chevrolet Monaro). It's a fast, desirable, cool-looking car, but shared nothing in common with the GTOs of the '60s and '70s stylistically. The same can be said for the A90 Supra. It only wouldn't be a "true Supra" if it strayed far from it's roots, like the case of the 2019- Mitsubishi Eclipse, a compact crossover without any pretense of sportiness.

Last edited:
That doesn't make the A90 more or less of a good car nor a "true Supra". Take the 2004-2007 Pontiac GTO for example (same car as Vauxhall/Holden/Chevrolet Monaro). It's a fast, desirable, cool-looking car, but shared nothing in common with the GTOs of the '60s and '70s stylistically. The same can be said for the A90 Supra. It only wouldn't be a "true Supra" if it strayed far from it's roots, like the case of the 2019- Mitsubishi Eclipse, a compact crossover without any pretense of sportiness.

That's great - I'm just wondering why it was even brought up in the first place, other than to buffer your word count.

SVX
I'm just wondering why it was even brought up in the first place, other than to buffer your word count.
Because it seems you insinuated that since the A90 may not look like previous Supras, I must've thought that it wasn't a "true Supra". I just wanted to make sure you understood where I was coming from, regardless of whether or not you agree with my stance.

It would probably stand out seeing one for the first time out on the road but it’s still just a squashed FT-1 concept to me that doesn’t quite work from every angle.

Not to mention the C8 Corvette has it bested it in pretty much every department aside for practicality (maybe). That car literally just came out a few months later too and stole most of the Supra’s thunder.

Meh.

Cool.

And much like the A80, it will only get cooler with time, both as the rose tinted glasses come down and people do crazy things with them. The engine, Deutsch as it may be, is something of an enigma and Toyota are very open to it as a canvas for modification which is a rare enough thing these days outside of the daily lives of the kinds of Russian oligarchs that companies like Mansory can count among their clientele.

I think it has a good chance of being a car that typefies design and engineering done well in this current era, too.

Not to mention the C8 Corvette has it bested it in pretty much every department aside for practicality (maybe). That car literally just came out a few months later too and stole most of the Supra’s thunder.
The C8 may even be a more practical car, too. After all, it does have a compartment dedicated to storing golf clubs.

Because it seems you insinuated that since the A90 may not look like previous Supras, I must've thought that it wasn't a "true Supra". I just wanted to make sure you understood where I was coming from, regardless of whether or not you agree with my stance.

No, in the very original post. What does an A90 not looking like an A80 have anything to do with how cool an A90 is?

That's really not how you use 'insulated' either. You don't need to use a thesaurus to make posts on GTP.

SVX
No, in the very original post. What does an A90 not looking like an A80 have anything to do with how cool an A90 is?
The A90 not looking like the A80 as no affect on it's coolness and I never claimed it did.

SVX
That's really not how you use 'insulated' either. You don't need to use a thesaurus to make posts on GTP.
The word I used was "insinuated" not "insulated". Also, I don't.

The A90 not looking like the A80 as no affect on it's coolness and I never claimed it did.

Now we're getting somewhere - if it has no effect, why was it brought up in a thread discussing it's coolness? That's what I've been trying to get across this entire time.

The word I used was "insinuated" not "insulated". Also, I don't.

Typo - point still stands.

Are you completely sure? Some of your word choice is needlessly overcomplicated, as if you're writing a college thesis. That paragraph could've been just as summed up as 'it sounded like that's what you were referring to'.

SVX
Now we're getting somewhere - if it has no effect, why was it brought up in a thread discussing it's coolness? That's what I've been trying to get across this entire time.
Alright, you do have a point there, in all fairness. I brought it up to acknowledge the fact that many hoped the A90 would have more characteristics of previous Supras and the fact that it didn't, irritated some people. In retrospect, the way I went about phrasing that, could've been more clarified.

I was under the impression that "insinuated" was the appropriate choice of word. Matter of fact, I actually have been writing many SAT practice essays this summer so chances are, some of those so-called overcomplicated words could have translated into my GTP posts. I apologize if some of my posts come off as poorly-articulated or confusing as a result.

Back