GTP Cool Wall: 2019- Toyota Supra

2019- Toyota Supra

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cool but should be subzero bc it irks so many. Was written off before it even came out and is being written off again against cars not even out either.

This car has been growing on me quite a bit lately. It’s obviously not my favorite Supra but it’s still cool.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is, when a new sports car surfaces in the 21st century that shares the name of an iconic but discontinued line of cars, it tends to have many design cues from those cars. For example, the 5th-gen Camaro clearly shows similarities in design to the original, and so does the 2008- Dodge Challenger, 2005 Ford GT, 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird, Volkswagen New Beetle, etc.

Good — all of those were retro pastiches, slavishly styled to bank on the established reputations of their predecessors.*

It's a solid cool for me — insert shameless GTPlanet review plug :D — although I'll echo the comments that this is probably too soon as well. Yes, it needs a manual — not that the auto is bad in any way, but it's a fun enough car, and Toyota's recent push to inject fun into the lineup, means its halo model missing one is sad. It has so much more presence in the metal than pictures show.

Also, literally every single person I've talked to that's driven both it and the Z4 say they're very different. I have no reason to doubt them either. It's a bit like when the GT-R first arrived a dozen years ago: every internet keyboard warrior was quick to write it off as essentially a self-driving computer of a car, yet journalists everywhere say it's a fun, involving steer.

This is so much cooler than the Toyobaru twins too, since it has a depth and balance to its ride.

* - Okay, the New Beetle wasn't quite so derivative. Arguably the second gen was more in line with the old shape.

Unique without being too flashy, actually attaniable by the average person, car nerds will love it, but normal people can appreciate it without having to ask what makes it special, and a very solid package overall.

Cool, even though I do think there are better options in its price range.

Back