GTP Cool Wall Results Archive II

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
This is where the results from all the Cool Wall Polls shall be found. To suggest a Car for polling go here.
Feel free to talk about the cars on the wall but don't complain that you think it should be in a different position.

Sub Zero
picture1wa7.png
1993jaguarxj220silvera6zm0.jpg

Cool
11169972jl0.jpg
astmartdb9roadwv2.jpg
zyl53tqzhz0.jpg
nissangtrmain2aj3.jpg
130401611753c2d9ff2c.jpg
dsc00622ix1.jpg
01370zredspygtrworld450.jpg
2009fordmondeo.jpg
vwsciroccoside2.jpg
2009dodgechallengerrt60.jpg

Uncool
hondajazz200801kh5.jpg
toyota20aygopj5.jpg
renaultgrandespacezj5.jpg
lexusis250sr130508zp6.jpg
2010fordtaurus26.jpg
1987fordmustanglarge.jpg

Seriously Uncool
2008miniclubmanofficialjs3.jpg

Last edited:
How are you counting these votes? We need to count both the uncool and seriously uncool together for example. 10 votes in uncool and 5 votes in seriously uncool makes it 15 votes for uncool. Then if it was 4 votes for uncool and 10 votes for seriously uncool it would be 14 votes to seriously uncool. This is so that peoples votes dont get left out. We cant run this exactly like top gear, we have over 100,000 people and they have 3. I feel this is more fair. If you want me to explain it better then just say.

I know you suggested it but it just seems so stupid to combine votes. If the majority vote for seriously uncool then it goes in the seriously uncool catergory, you're over-complicating things. The cool wall works on majority verdict. If people vote for something that doesn't have majority verdict then they haven't been left out, It just means that the majority thinks different.

Let's say 10 people vote a car cool.

9 others vote it uncool.
8 more vote it seriously uncool.

Obviously, the majority thinks it uncool, so it should go into uncool, not cool.

9 others vote it uncool.

Obviously, the majority thinks it uncool, so it should go into uncool, not cool.

Yeah exactly, I really should've made my post in the other thread. Basically it's absolutely pointless. The poll should simply be 'Cool' and 'Uncool'.

But people who voted uncool might not think it is seriously uncool or else they would have voted seriously uncool. The majority is with the highest number. There are no groups. All for catergories are seperate from each other so don't try linking uncool with seriously uncool, big difference between them.

All for catergories are seperate from each other so don't try linking uncool with seriously uncool, big difference between them.

Not really. Look, either way it's almost always going to end up like this. I'm going to stand my ground and still say that we should have 'Cool' and 'Uncool'.

I do sorta agree both ways. The way it's set up now, each category should be counted seperate and not be combined. BUT, seeing as the majority will most likely be voting cool or uncool, it would make more sense to just have the 2 options.

Of course, I'm sure there will be cars that could actually attain seriously cool/uncool status so I'd say keep it the way it is.

Of course, I'm sure there will be cars that could actually attain seriously cool/uncool status so I'd say keep it the way it is.

Yeah DB9 is up in a few Polls. That got its own fridge on TG. I'm afraid I probs can't provide internet-based cooling solutions. Sorry.

But people who voted uncool might not think it is seriously uncool or else they would have voted seriously uncool. The majority is with the highest number. There are no groups. All for catergories are seperate from each other so don't try linking uncool with seriously uncool, big difference between them.

I agree with this. The categories are completely separate, so the highest number of votes in any one category should get it. As it does at the moment 👍

Re: the first car to join the board, the Jazz - I still think it's uncool, but I saw one of the new models today, in dark blue, and I have to admit that it looked pretty good, and the interior looks ace. But still, you wouldn't try and pull with the line "I drive a Honda... a Honda Jazz" :P

If points are made for each vote, an average can be made then a rounded figure can determine group.

e.g.

Sub Zero = 2 points per vote
Cool = 1 point per vote
Uncool = -1 PPV
Seriously Uncool = -2 PPV

Take the multiplication together to get a total 'points' round to the nearest whole number and there you have your results with 0 being the inbetween cool and uncool value then 1 being cool etc.

9 others vote it uncool.

Say 21 voted, and 11 said it was "cool". Clearly the majority think it isn't a cool car, yet the car gets marked down as cool. That doesn't really add up.

Say 21 voted, and 11 said it was "cool". Clearly the majority think it isn't a cool car, yet the car gets marked down as cool. That doesn't really add up.

Either your math skills are lacking or my "get what you're saying" radar is jammed, but isn't 11 over half of 21, which would mean cool is the majority? :dunce:

Either your math skills are lacking or my "get what you're saying" radar is jammed, but isn't 11 over half of 21, which would mean cool is the majority? :dunce:

Haha. Might wanna check that Philly. Anyway as I've said before your trying to combine catergories that are meant to be seperate. Seriously Uncool is reserved for Dacias etc.

Haha. Might wanna check that Philly. Anyway as I've said before your trying to combine catergories that are meant to be seperate. Seriously Uncool is reserved for Dacias etc.

No, no we're not.

If a car gets 10 uncool, 11 seriously uncool, 12 cool and 1 seriously cool, it should go seriously uncool. If it was 11 uncool and 10 seriously uncool it would go to uncool.

If points are made for each vote, an average can be made then a rounded figure can determine group.

e.g.

Sub Zero = 2 points per vote
Cool = 1 point per vote
Uncool = -1 PPV
Seriously Uncool = -2 PPV

Take the multiplication together to get a total 'points' round to the nearest whole number and there you have your results with 0 being the inbetween cool and uncool value then 1 being cool etc.

I fail to see why this isn't a viable solution which will give a single category based on an average of ALL votes not just taking the most common answer. Although it would be better with a 1,2,3,4 points system, taking the 2.5 as the inbetween uncool and cool.

But if people voted like so, 11 cool - 10 uncool - 9 seriously uncool. Cool would be the winner as the most have agreed that it is cool. You can't twist it into uncool because the uncool side got the majority of combined votes because all the catergories are different. If people can't agree that its uncool or seriously uncool then they aren't the majority.

But if people voted like so, 11 cool - 10 uncool - 9 seriously uncool. Cool would be the winner as the most have agreed that it is cool. You can't twist it into uncool because the uncool side got the majority of combined votes because all the catergories are different. If people can't agree that its uncool or seriously uncool then they aren't the majority.

Ok extreme example (this is why the 'mode - most common' method isn't used in statistics as I've been studying at college it is a wildly simplistic figure that doesn't take into account the full population in the survey thus leaving a biased result which is useless to determine any real representation).

0 Sub Zero, 50 Cool, 49 Uncool, 49 Seriously Uncool

Thats 98 people of 148 who believe the car is uncool or WORSE, yet it would be put under cool.

I see what many are saying. If there were 4 completely different poll options (1,2,3,4), then the way it is now would work. But the way the poll is set up (1.5,1,-1,-1.5), you have 2 options per "side" that are similar ideas (just one is greater magnitude than the other). Now if you were to add the two cools, and the two uncools, and give the result to the greater "part" of cool or uncool, then it would make more sense. (number examples given by others)

I fail to see why this isn't a viable solution which will give a single category based on an average of ALL votes not just taking the most common answer. Although it would be better with a 1,2,3,4 points system, taking the 2.5 as the inbetween uncool and cool.

Agreed. I was thinking of suggesting 1,2,3,4 with l 2.5 being the cool/uncool split.

say for car X the votes split

sub-zero:0
cool: 15
uncool: 14
seriously uncool: 13

In this vote 15 people think its cool, yet 27 people think its uncool or worse :eek:

despite this cool would win because its the modal vote, but is not a fair representation of gtplanets thoughts.

I am strongly in favour of a mean system, to the point I think a modal system is naive.

Cool and uncool are opposites, yet uncool and seriously uncool are directly co-related, one is just an order of magnitude higher than the other, they are on the same track.

Last edited:
I dont mean to take anything away from you SSU, you came up with a great idea, however I do strongly believe that the current results system gives no clear representation of ALL votes as stated before, you might as well check the results then vote which is more common out of uncool and seriously uncool if you dont like a car, so your opinion will make a difference under the current rules. A new average system also won't change the Jazz result at all which is correct as the data skew rested mainly in uncool.

The Aygo was a draw between Cool and Uncool but because more people voted it seriously uncool rather than sub zero, it goes into the uncool catergory.

I think the way it could be decided is by first looking at cool vs. uncool and then the two groups in the winning category.

Say we get 3 subzero, 4 cool, 4 uncool and 1 seriously uncool. We would see that there are 7 votes on the cool side and 5 on the uncool. So then we see cool has one more vote than subzero, so the car is cool. If it was a tie, it would go in-between.

The problem is that on Top Gear it worked kind of as a scale, so even under one category one car could be cooler than the other. The best way to replicate this would probably be with a scale like Dragonistic's but where each member picks a number inside that scale. But that would be a bit too complicated.

I don't see the reason to give uncool or sub zero more points. Why just make everything a separate category? It makes everything a lot simpler.

If 10 people vote sub zero and 11 vote cool then the car should be cool because most people think it is cool but not extremely cool.

Or

Add up the results.

Make cool and sub zero in the same category. Add both of them up. If they have more votes when added together than uncool and seriously uncool when added together one of them is going to win. Then see which individual category has the most votes.

So if it is:

Sub Zero: 14
Cool: 10
Uncool: 11
Seriously Uncool: 10

Then it is 24 compared to 21. 14 of those 24 cool/sub zero votes are in the Sub Zero category so that is the winner.

TVC
I don't see the reason to give uncool or sub zero more points. Why just make everything a separate category? It makes everything a lot simpler.

If 10 people vote sub zero and 11 vote cool then the car should be cool because most people think it is cool but not extremely cool.

Thats my method at the moment. Majority Verdict.

TVC
I don't see the reason to give uncool or sub zero more points.

Because then we have a scale and we can get a meaningful average. That way cars can also be compared to other cars inside of their "category."

TVC
Add up the results.

Make cool and sub zero in the same category. Add both of them up. If they have more votes when added together than uncool and seriously uncool when added together one of them is going to win. Then see which individual category has the most votes.

So if it is:

Sub Zero: 14
Cool: 10
Uncool: 11
Seriously Uncool: 10

Then it is 24 compared to 21. 14 of those 24 cool/sub zero votes are in the Sub Zero category so that is the winner.

That's what I said and I think it would be a pretty reasonable way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back