GTP D1GP S2 : Round 1 (Results Up)

Swift is our last judge right?

I believe so...
Fire a PM his way.

I was just going to post the final scores but BL wrote a little piece about each,

You don't necessarily have to share that, but I don't care either way. That was me just providing you with a little bit of justification for why I scored them as I did.

Its funny BLs highest score is lower than Suzukis Lowest.:)

:D
Suzuki, you big softy.

I'll get some scores in soon. Sorry about the delay. :(

:D
Suzuki, you big softy.
wow... that says a lot. but i got my point across i think, which was who had the best run. guess i need to adjust to the system a bit. i know why i scored them so high, and ill be fixing that next round.

I'll get some scores in soon. Sorry about the delay. :(

no need to apologize, its not entirely your fault.

wow... that says a lot. but i got my point across i think, which was who had the best run. guess i need to adjust to the system a bit. i know why i scored them so high, and ill be fixing that next round.

The challenge with any kind of numbered scoring system(especially the GTPDC system) is that it can be easily refuted. When I judge, I look at ALL the runs first, figure out which is best then grade on a curve from there. Not saying the best always gets 100, but just that the best run wins. If we're not careful, the best run could lose to another run by a quirk in the numbers adding up. :ouch: :)

Scores sent in...

Do you guys have money on this or something? Seriously.... heh heh. :lol:

If we're not careful, the best run could lose to another run by a quirk in the numbers adding up. :ouch: :)

It's not impossible, but I think it unlikely. As long as each judge is consistent in their scoring and understands that a high number represents a good drift there shouldn't be any problems. We can all identify a nice drift so there should be no issue with an unworthy one beating out a better one on the scorecards.

...there could, however be issues farther back for 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. It was a tougher call there, and none of us seemed to agree on which run was best outside of the three. Dunno...
Having established judging criteria might tidy it up a bit, but it'd take longer to judge.

Just a short clarification on how I judge. As I was explaining to Suzuki earlier to today, for GTPDC stuff I generally viewed a 7/10 as a pretty decent score in any category - a very good run. To score 8 or higher took something special that no one else was doing.
Adapted to a system /100, I think a 70-80 is a good score. But to be in the high 80's or 90's you'll have to show me something pretty special.

Well said BL.

Just to let the entrants know what I'm looking for when I judge(and I think it's fair for all the judges to let the entrants know).

I look for aggressiveness, control and of course style. Pretty much in that order. In a section like the one for this competition, the entrants could have really pushed the envelope because:
  1. You didn't "have" to drift the first corner
  2. You didn't have to finish the section into the second tunnel

Meaning you could setup your initial line anyway you wanted to without penalty and you could go balls out through the entire section without worrying too much about your cars placement at the exit of the last corner. Unlike doing a full lap where the cars placement is key for the following section.

Basically, I'm looking for someone to really trying REALLY hard to be out there on the edge. A good example would be the purple Supra. That was a great aggressive run and I was going to give that one the nod, but there was just too much off track for that to be fair to the ones that could control their car to stay on track. On the opposite side, the black 240 with the incredible rear camber, was rather timid considering the obvious settings for the suspension(not a personal dig at said drifter).

So of course, there has to be a balance between control and aggressiveness. But to be honest I'd MUCH rather see a car up on the rumble strip trying to pull out of a smooth, high angle drift then the car with shallow angle drift but perfect placement on the track.

Just so you know guys. Good efforts all around. Feel free to ask questions about your runs and I'm sure all the judges will give you their input. :)

you know what sucks i know why i'm at my spot damn i wish i could go full out but dfp is broken but whatever i dont really care. congrats to everyone

Back