GTP getting slower??

I'm amazed at how quick this site is once you clean that log file, even on dial-up. đź‘Ť

I know, I just made a few changes tonight so hopefully it will be rotated automatically from now on.

The past 2 weeks or so for me have been running perfectly fine. I know because I had no school and spent a lot of time on it...

I'm starting to think it has to do with

A) connection type
B) firewalls
C) downloads in background
D) computer
E) geographical location

Many of those factors could contribute to how well you load GTP. If users from oversea's are having problems with connections, it may be due to satellite connections. If you are running on satellite internet, or are in an isolated area, then many places may rely in geo-synchronous satellites to relay the information, or out orbit satellites. The geo-synchronous satellites may not be within optimal range, or are just comming in/going out of range (there are usually about 2-3 available within a given area of the earth) , and may cause simple conneciton issues. As for the outer-orbit satellites, (I know both have different purposes, but both have been used for internet) I can't really explain that one without further research, which at this point I'm not really inclined to do. I'll just leave with saying that under realtively similar circumstances, sometimes GTP is quick, and sometimes it's slow for me. Luckily, it's been rather quick for the past little while.

PS
The past 2 weeks or so for me have been running perfectly fine. I know because I had no school and spent a lot of time on it...

I'm starting to think it has to do with

A) connection type
B) firewalls
C) downloads in background
D) computer
E) geographical location

Many of those factors could contribute to how well you load GTP. If users from oversea's are having problems with connections, it may be due to satellite connections. If you are running on satellite internet, or are in an isolated area, then many places may rely in geo-synchronous satellites to relay the information, or out orbit satellites. The geo-synchronous satellites may not be within optimal range, or are just comming in/going out of range (there are usually about 2-3 available within a given area of the earth) , and may cause simple conneciton issues. As for the outer-orbit satellites, (I know both have different purposes, but both have been used for internet) I can't really explain that one without further research, which at this point I'm not really inclined to do. I'll just leave with saying that under realtively similar circumstances, sometimes GTP is quick, and sometimes it's slow for me. Luckily, it's been rather quick for the past little while.
Look one post above you. Jordan already explained why the site gets slow on occasion and it has been mentioned in this thread several times. Its the Log file. :) Hopefully the automatic rotation fixes the problem so he doesnt have to keep cleaning it out. The site is lightning fast again.

The site was completely down between 8:04–8:57 PM (PST) tonight. Just so you know. ;)

Jordan
Well, actually, I really appreciate these posts because it helps keep me alert to any problems others may have with speed issues.

I'm sorry. All I'm trying to do is get people to be aware of your server problems. :dunce:

I'll try and be a bit kinder about it from now on. :crazy:

My cron script doesn't seem to be working. I just cleared the file again - let me know how it goes.

It's already much quicker. It was like it would "hang" and stop loading for a few seconds, especially on big threads.

Is anyone else having problems with the pages loading? It doesn't seem to be getting much slower, but it seems like it waits about a second and a half after clicking a link to respond, and then after that the page sometimes loads without colour or font formats. Sometimes the page doesnt even load at all. Instead, it says "done" but with a completely blank page. Do you guys think its the browser or the site? I didn't feel that I should make a new thread out of this, though.

I had to clear the log file out again earlier tonight - it should be OK now.

I would have to 3rd that. I thought it might be because I was on an 802.11b connection here at school, but I'm getting a ton of page timeouts. Could it be the logfile again...or possibly just too many people on right now since it is the night before release?

Its really really slow here at the moment.
I'm on a 2.5Mbps connection, and while other sites are coming in perfectly, GTPlanet is taking up to a minute to display a page after clicking a link! It's like being back on 26K dial up again :yuck:

You know, it may be possible to have a program that dumps the log every so often...
(or maybe get another server somewhere with a ton of space where you could send the logs every so often in case something should happen)

Back