GTP getting slower??

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
United States
Michigan
CAMAROBOY69
I noticed GTP seems to be getting slow lately. I thought it was my comp but I checked the site on 3 different computers now and I am pretty sure its the site. Sometimes the smileys dont all load or the "insert hyperlink" , "quote" icons dont appear.
Is this because the site is getting a lot of traffic lately or is there something else? I clear my cookies, files, and history every day. What could it be? If its normal then I will just ignore it. I have Cable at work and at home so I dont think its my connection at 3 different locations, 3 different computers.

I use GTP Lite after I saw how slow GTP really is.
GTP Lite is much faster 👍
It does look old but it's awesome :)

I've been noticing a slowdown as well, which is strange because the server load is normal and we are not pushing crazy amounts of bandwidth or anything...our connection appears to be very quick. I'll do a quick check-up now that you've brought this up. Since I'm on a much slower internet connection now than what I was used to, the slow speeds haven't alarmed me before.

I haven't noticed much. I'm using 5mbit cable and get regular speeds of 500KB/s. GTPlanet loads as quickly as ever.

Some of the really big threads have always taken a while for me to load because I view in 100 posts per page.

I noticed some down time between 1:40 and 2:00 pm today (message: "gtplanet.net refused your connection" and "Document contians no data") but other than that the speed is OK for me.

LoudMusic
I haven't noticed much. I'm using 5mbit cable and get regular speeds of 500KB/s. GTPlanet loads as quickly as ever.

Some of the really big threads have always taken a while for me to load because I view in 100 posts per page.
20 posts per page should be enough...:sly:
And I noticed one thing , it is a little bit faster with GTP Lite
for some reason.

LoudMusic
Nah, I don't like having to click "Next page".

Also, Lite is faster because it loads fewer images.
The extra images certainly don't help, but I think the fact that with GTP6, I enclosed the entire page contents inside of a table. That's fine but I was naive of the fact that in most browsers, including IE, the closing </table> tag must be loaded in the source code before it will begin displaying any of the table's contents. When you've got a long page, it may actually take a few seconds before that final </table> tag is loaded, and therefore the page will appear to take a while to be displayed. This, of course, won't be an issue in GTP7. But, nevertheless, it was a pretty bad mistake on my part. :(

Jordan
The extra images certainly don't help, but I think the fact that with GTP6, I enclosed the entire page contents inside of a table. That's fine but I was naive of the fact that in most browsers, including IE, the closing </table> tag must be loaded in the source code before it will begin displaying any of the table's contents. When you've got a long page, it may actually take a few seconds before that final </table> tag is loaded, and therefore the page will appear to take a while to be displayed. This, of course, won't be an issue in GTP7. But, nevertheless, it was a pretty bad mistake on my part. :(
Wow, is GTP7 in the works yet?

Occasionally, I get the firefox message where it can't contact GTPLanet.net. It happens a few times an hour. It goes away after the next link I click. It might be my ISP, router, or firewall.

I would say it is very slow. It takes quite awhile to load the new posts page. When I post it takes a long time and sometimes I have to redo it.

Lite is loads faster, but it is just too ugly. I can deal with the slow speeds if I get some good eye candy.

Jordan

Hmm, interesting. Using Firefox I haven't noticed it doing that so I suspect this isn't the case?

Also, a quick look at the source it appears you've done an extensive amount of code sweeping. There doesn't appear to be nearly as much extraneous commands and tags as there were in early versions of GTPlanet. Unfortunately there's still quite a lot of data to download and parse for each page.

Did you ever expect GTPlanet to get so big so fast? Speaking in terms of membership / active members / posts per day, this is one of the busiest sites I visit. Slashdot.com and S2kI.com being other that are more busy. S2kI.com averages something like 600 active users - I was shocked the first time I realized how many people were posting there at the same time. Currently 842 active users, 429 of which are members. That's three times the load of GTPlanet (:

Jordan

thats the thing I noticed. but Its all cool, I sit there and jam out while it is loading.

It's alot faster with GTPlanet Lite than it is with GTPlanet Default style, due to the images.

I like the look of GTP Default, but some of the features of GTP Lite stand out to me, like the poster table, I love the fact that it's not centered like GTP Default, that's one thing I love. I'm weird, yes.

Wow, is GTP7 in the works yet?
Yes, I've already gone through several different designs for GTP7...but I think it's current stage will be pretty close to the final product. I'm hoping to get it out before the end of the year.

Hmm, interesting. Using Firefox I haven't noticed it doing that so I suspect this isn't the case?
Right. I think this is also the main reason why people think Firefox is faster than IE.

Also, a quick look at the source it appears you've done an extensive amount of code sweeping. There doesn't appear to be nearly as much extraneous commands and tags as there were in early versions of GTPlanet. Unfortunately there's still quite a lot of data to download and parse for each page.
Yeah, our old source code was pretty nasty. Of course, all of the default vB3 templates are written in valid XHTML, so a lot of the cleaner code can be attributed to them. As it's shaping up right now, GTP7 will be our cleanest code design yet...if I don't get frustrated, it may all even validate! I've still got a ways to go but I'm off to a good (and valid) start at least.

Did you ever expect GTPlanet to get so big so fast? Speaking in terms of membership / active members / posts per day, this is one of the busiest sites I visit. Slashdot.com and S2kI.com being other that are more busy. S2kI.com averages something like 600 active users - I was shocked the first time I realized how many people were posting there at the same time. Currently 842 active users, 429 of which are members. That's three times the load of GTPlanet (:
Did you read my interview? I answered that question there.

Seems like GTP is starting to get slow again. Jordan you said in another thread that you figured out why this happens once in a while. That some file log gets really big. Is it time to clean that out again?

Yeah, it built back up a little faster than I was expecting. Should be taken care of now.

There is supposed to be some log file rotator script thing for apache (I assume is what you're using) that can rotate based on date or file size.

It isn't slow for me (using GTP Lite).
And I have a question. I would use the default style but the letter is big like this : A. Why is that so?

Back