GTP "Weekly" Drawing Competition No 6: 1941 Willys!

• Thread starter Cano
  • 90 comments

Cano

Premium
Mexico
Cephiro
well, the weekly comp is here, and this week we have a cool old fat (literally) car to draw: a 41 Willys, incredibly popular material for street rodding and drag racers alike. Its impossible to find a pic of a stock one (maybe because there arent any left o_O) so Im just gonna give a link to a BUNCH of modified 41 Willys. Coupes, sedans, pickups, choose whatever you want, draw it like you want, there arent many rules about it, as you know. just make sure that its a 41 Willys. in the link im gonna give you, all the cars are 41s except for the black flamed one at the second-to-last row of the album. so you will know hoe a 41 Willys looks. this link has TONS and TONS of pics, so you cant really get lost. good luck!

here is the link:
http://public.fotki.com/wackydave/cars_-_various_themes/wild_willys_for/

Cano

I'd really like to take part of this competitions just to get back to drawing like i used to. Only thing is that I want to do it digitally with my wacom tablet...
I'll do it all freehand. Don't use filters etc, I'll even color it with a brush to keep it handdrawn to the finish.
Only thing is that I need your approval to participate with this.. I know you said no earlier, but I don't know if you got my intentions clearly. Can't see why this would give me any advantage compared to others. (other than the ability to keep my "paper" clean)
If not.. you can count me out :(

:EDIT: Removed the pic

Hey teazR, try sketching one real quick and take a look at the difference. The sketch it self it cool, closer to what I came up with so far. I seriously think you'd do much better with a dirty paper and smoother sketch lines rather than a digitally made sketch like what you have shown. Hope that helps.

Nick
ctree.gif
xmas.gif

Originally posted by VipFREAK
Hey teazR, try sketching one real quick and take a look at the difference. The sketch it self it cool, closer to what I came up with so far. I seriously think you'd do much better with a dirty paper and smoother sketch lines rather than a digitally made sketch like what you have shown. Hope that helps.

Nick
ctree.gif
xmas.gif

absolutely what he said. I think that the sketch is very good and you have chances if you come up with something imaginative for the car, but Id like to see it in, as Vip said, a dirty sheet of paper, because the lines will be MUCH more cleaner and the details much more apreciated than if you do it wth the pad. and if that is the way drawings come out with the pad, hell, better try a Mouse dude! the sketch is good, but the "hairy" lines dont help... well, they would if you used that syle to the purpose of the drawing. anyway dude, enter if you want man, you are welcome here. 👍

Cano

deciding what to do on mine... gasser? 8 carburetors? kustom? dunno... Im in my camp now, and I dont have Ideas... sheesh... :grumpy:

:lol: Ha ha, I have to say honestly and this becomes a complement to myself but I've always maintained I couldn't draw a straight line to save my life. If that's the best a friggin computer can do, **** I don't feel so damn bad! (teazR trust me I probably would do worse than that using that pad)

Although I went to this "industral design" event and they had this program called Alias there. Combined with Alias and this '18 screen that you could draw on with a digital pen was making some sick ass sketches, rendered and all. I think just the screen itself was like 10-15 grand? Not to mention the program around 3 grand? I'm not totally sure on the prices but this industry is expensive anyway.

Nick
banana.gif
band.gif

Originally posted by VipFREAK
:lol: Ha ha, I have to say honestly and this becomes a complement to myself but I've always maintained I couldn't draw a straight line to save my life. If that's the best a friggin computer can do, **** I don't feel so damn bad! (teazR trust me I probably would do worse than that using that pad)

Nick
banana.gif
band.gif

ah, neither you can? I cant draw a straight line myself, neither. I have a pulse that trembles so much that it always seems that I have a nervous atack. Id like to try sometime to use one of that tablets, since I can draw pretty good with a mouse (takes a danged eternity, but I made a few oekakis and they came out pretty good.

Cano

I'm out of this comp. I just can't draw cars that are in a picture or something. Can the next comp be a concept car drawing contest?

Maybe I'll start entering these comps, I've always loved drawing and cars. Plus for Christmas I got an Epson Stylus CX5400 copier/printer/scanner so I can upload drawings now.:D

get the "maybe" out of that, you danged 69 muscle car, and add "surely", you hear me? ¬¬

Cano

and chaos fire, you dont need to copy the car, you mnow that. you can make your version. believe me, redesigning old cars is way interestng. I do that all the time. you see the bulbous thing? that is precisely my kinda car :D

hey, its an easy car to draw!! its so bulbous!!! come one dudes, keep trying. as Vip said, take it as a practice. I think that is what we all do here.

Cano

remember, it doesnt have to have exact proportions or anything, you just can grab the body and redesign the whole car from there, you can take off the fenders, you can make a station wagon out of it if the roundness of the car is a probem... break the rules!! show us some creativity!!! old cars offer so much more potential to do that!

Cano

that is nice. I will be waiting for yer work. and yeah, its hard. Im still thinking what to do on mine.

i'm goin for 100% realism cause I still gotta prac my shadin and values even though i usaully end up grabbing a kleenex to make my values look better :lol:

Well we finally got my printer/scanner/copier plugged in so I started drawing my picture already, I've done some of the front but that's it right now. Should I color it, or just shade it and leave it the black and white?

Originally posted by Tenzospy
this is too hard lol ill keep at it

Hey, Tenzospy I used to crumple up my paper and get frustrated but try not to do that... I'm not exactly why, but try not to think that just because you have a nice clean piece of white paper in front of you and you "screw it up" by drawing on it that it is means to crumple it up and toss it. Your going to go through tons of paper with this stuff or anything you draw, it's called practice (no damn it I want it now without practice :: pulls hair out :: :banghead: ) ::cough:: umm... yeah it's called practice.

BTW: 69charger color it or at least make it monotone(one color)

Nick
banana.gif
band.gif

Back