Premium
United Kingdom
UK
ps3logokl4.jpg

gtpdk9.jpg

:: GTP_WRS Comprehensive Guide ::

granturismo5logok.jpg

How can I take part in the WRS?

First thing you must do is register in the qualifier. All information can be found here. You must be accepted in to the registry before you can take part in the GT5 WRS.

What is the WRS?

It's a Weekly Race Series, every Sunday (normally) a new combination will be posted by the WRS Admins, all details required to compete will be in this thread. This will run till a week on Monday after this, at midnight, so over 8 days on each combo.

How does it work?

When you're happy that you cannot go faster, submit your lap according to the rules in the relevant race thread, then the WRS Admins will collate all the results and will post the results shortly after the deadline has passed (normally, be patient if they don't). When that has happened the racers who have got a podium (for each division) will be required to post a replay, which will need to be verified. On some occasions, non-podium replays may be requested also. See details further down the page on replays.

What combos can we expect?

The WRS will consist of time trials and sometimes races within A-Spec, Seasonal Events or Special Events. Online Race Events using the GTP Registry will happen, but this runs separate of the WRS, so we will still get a weekly combo when there is a Race Event.

The current event is multiple laps, do I need to do anything different?

There is a bug in the game that you should be wary of. The replays will cut short at the end, so after you've run the event as stated (for example, Week 12 is 2 laps of Madrid, you will need to make sure on Lap 3 that you let the third lap run for a bit of time to ensure that the cut off doesn't stop you from seeing the final lap time.) All necessary information about special events like this will be in the opening post of the thread.

The weekly race event thread states we can tune the car, but I can't tune!

Search the tuning forums for tunes for the car. People will post their tunes in the race thread, this is actively encouraged.

The weekly race event thread states that we can use In-Race Functions, what is this?

When racing you can tweak the following settings on-track: Traction Control, ABS, Torque Distribution (only available on 4WD cars) and Front/Rear Brake Balance. DFGT users will know that they can access this by pressing the big red button on the steering wheel and adjusting with the little wheel and the +/- buttons on the left side of the wheel. If you are using other wheels you will need to go in to the options menu from GT Home (or the main menu) and set-up your controller so that it can access the In-Race Functions. DS3 users will need to find some spare buttons, which won't be too hard if you are using the sticks to drive.

When you set up these functions they will be saved the next time you use them (clarification for Arcade mode).

I've been accepted to the registry, what do I do now?

Look in this forum to find currently active combinations, they will be stickied at the top of the forum. Feel free to pick and choose, there is no obligation to race each week, so you don't have to race with those cars you hate, or the track that just annoys you!

How do promotions work?

Competing over and above your current division, consistently and over a sustained period of time will see you move up the divisions quite quickly. If you think you've earned a promotion, then the WRS Admins will have noticed it. If you're consistently winning your division and competing with the divisions above you, then your performances will not go un-noticed. Just don't expect 2 good performances to mean that you will instantly be promoted. Doing well in different varieties (like FF, RWD. City track, circuit, low powered or high powered) will also help your case.

Promotion to D1 Gold is quite different to other promotions, this is the ultimate division and will contain the fastest drivers in the community. Don't expect to get in to D1G just by winning that week (or a special event), you will need to win the event quite a few times and have consistently shown you are D1G material. Don't think that this is a slight on you and your performances, just that D1G is held in a very high regard and some of the drivers here will be running to within hundredths of the quickest possible time.

D1G guys don't always come out to play, but when they do, you'll know it!

Promotions thread

The promotions thread really is for announcements regarding promotions (be it divisional or just going up from Bronze to Silver and the congratulations of said members promoted. Queries regarding promotions are best to be directed at an WRS Admin, rather than in public.

Any promotions will be announced roughly every month.

How do I post splits?

View the replay from your fastest lap, go to the Live Timing tab and your split times will be displayed as the replay plays. We post our splits so we can see how each other is doing, this is not compulsory, but it is encouraged. You can still submit if you don't post splits, and you don't have to submit if you do post splits.

This very clever site reads your splits from your post in the relevant race thread. All you need to do is post your splits as you see them in the Live Timing screen. For example:

T1: 17.880
T2: 15.789
T3: 40.611

The board extracts your username from the post and cross references this with the official registry.

All feedback and queries about the Leaderboard should be directed here.

Credit to Joost, Steven and alba for the excellent resource of the GTP_WRS.

How do I post my official result at the end of the week?

By sending a PM to WRSFetchbot.

The subject must be in the form of: "GTP_WRS Week 1 Submission" where the week number must be replaced with the current week.

The body must be in the format of: "Time: X'XX.XXX" Example: "Time: 1'10.100".

Can I submit my official time multiple times?

Yes you can, the last submitted time will be sent to the admins at the deadline.

What happens if I submit my time too late?

WRSFetchbot is very strict, any times submitted after the deadline will be rejected. Please make sure you submit you time in time.

Oops, the time I submitted was wrong!

No problem, if you send WRSFetchbot a PM with the subject "GTP_WRS Week 1 Submission" and body "remove entry" your entry will be removed.

What time did I submit?

If you send WRSFetchbot a PM with the subject "GTP_WRS Week 1 Submission" and the body "get entry" he'll send you a reply with you current registered time.

Why do you need to know my region?

When the results of a week are posted, the podium winners from each division will post their replays so their laps can be verified. You will not be able to view a PAL replay if you have a NTSC copy of the game.

How do I set my region?

If you send WRSFetchbot a PM with the subject "Change region" with the body either "PAL" or "NTSC" your region will be changed.

How do I change my controller?

If you send WRSFetchbot a PM with the subject "Change controller" with your controller as the body e.g. 'G25', 'DFGT', 'CSW', '6-axis', 'controller', 'wheel' etc, your controller will be changed.

How do I change my nationality?

If you send WRSFetchbot a PM with the subject "Change nationality" with your nationality as the body e.g. 'The Netherlands', 'UK', 'USA' your nationality flag on the leaderboard will be updated.

When I view my replay it shows the wrong time in the corner of the screen!

Don't worry, when viewing Best Lap Replay, the replay will always show the time from your last lap in the corner of the screen. If you look at the Live Timing tab, it will show you the splits from the last lap too (which will be grey), but these will eventually get replaced as your lap progresses.

Do I have to view replays of the winners?

Verifying replays is actively encouraged, this is a job that non-Admins can do to help the WRS process move quicker, and make it easier for the WRS Admins.

How do I post/view a replay?

Sticky guide to uploading a replay for verification.

To view a replay, download the replay, unzip it and put it on to your USB stick. Take your USB stick to your PS3, plug it in, select the USB stick in the Saved Data section on your PS3 XMB menu, find the replay you want to view on your USB, tap triangle and select Copy. Now go in to GT5 and the replay will be in your replay theatre.

What happens if I don't follow the rules set out by the WRS Admins?

You can be disqualified from an event for submitting an unclean replay, repeated violations of the rules can see you removed from the registry. The Admins are currently using a 'Three strikes and you're out' rule, however, you can still be removed from the registry if they deem it suitable for breaking the rules.

Please respect their decisions, the WRS Admin team put in a lot of time to this fantastic series.

What's the best way of avoiding submitting an unclean lap?

Firstly, read the conditions in the opening post of the relevant thread for knowing what parts of the track you can use.

"If you think it's dirty, then dump the lap and start again."

You can always ask if someone else will view your lap to see if it's clean, the best course of action for this is to ask a WRS Admin, unless you are using a video recording from a camera or phone that doesn't show your lap time, in which case feel free to ask other members.

There are some "invisible" walls around the game, most notably at High Speed Ring on the big banked hairpin before the start/finish line. Best way to avoid these is to turn music off in the game and turn the sound up, any wall touches will be audible.

How would you describe the WRS?

It's a very competitive race series, but with the competitiveness comes a very good sense of community. If you relax, post in a polite manner, you will fit in just fine and enjoy what will be the best experience of GT5. Feel free to ask questions, plenty of people will be willing to help, hopefully this thread will answers all your questions in one place. We have a very friendly environment and community, it's fantastic.

----------

I noticed a few questions being asked in the WRS Week 1 thread so thought it would be good to have an FAQ covering everything, pointing to various links and other stickies.

Anyone think I'm missing anything? My brain has hit a wall. :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Sureboss!

Maybe you could add something about posting official results to WRSFetchbot:

[Text removed, as it has been included in the OP]

Last edited:
Excellent, hadn't realised submission had changed.

Edited, to include the new GT5 submission procedure. Great work guys!

This seems like a lot of fun, unfortunately I've been pretty busy during the qualifiers. And I can't for the life of me find out a date or even an estimate of when the qualifiers will open up again. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks in advanced.

Thanks for the great writeup. I'm going to sticky this.

This seems like a lot of fun, unfortunately I've been pretty busy during the qualifiers. And I can't for the life of me find out a date or even an estimate of when the qualifiers will open up again. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks in advanced.

Can answer it in here, the Chatbox thread is also good for queries.

The WRS Admins reckon the qualifier will be open again around early March.

Great work Nigel, added a link for Tuning forums and I think fixed a typo or something 👍

All the best
Maz

Updated on Promotions.

Any other sections people think need explaining or something that isn't explained?

I have been thinking of a replay viewing guide and what to look for besides being clean.

Things I'm looking for are drops in RPM when shifting in the data logger, double checking the time and name, along with sector times posted before submission (not that they have to be the same), exhaust tips for type of exhaust added (where applicable), tire toe and so on.

I also think there will be a variable amount of details to watch for in coming weeks with different combos that has not surfaced yet.

I think such an addition would be very useful to members, new and old and could be updated when needed.

I have been thinking of a replay viewing guide and what to look for besides being clean.

Things I'm looking for are drops in RPM when shifting in the data logger, double checking the time and name, along with sector times posted before submission (not that they have to be the same), exhaust tips for type of exhaust added (where applicable), tire toe and so on.

I also think there will be a variable amount of details to watch for in coming weeks with different combos that has not surfaced yet.

I think such an addition would be very useful to members, new and old and could be updated when needed.

I think we have to deal with what PD gives us. I like the idea of a guide for replay verification, though, because we now have so many racers.

Last edited:
Maybe we could also include a little blurb about viewing the best lap replay, seeing as the previous best lap is always shown in the top right hand corner of a replay instead of the actual fastest lap being watched. This has caused a little confusion now and again 👍

All the best
Maz

Maybe something about the RA functions as well. I've seen a lot of posts with questions like this on arcade weeks.

"I'm confused!! How do I change the brake balance?? Are you guys running in GT Mode? It says you can't tune!!"

Updated with both of those suggestions. I've also included a blurb about multiple lap events.

Given the nature of this week, do people think there are other questions that would be useful to be answered in here?

I think we have to deal with what PD gives us. I like the idea of a guide for replay verification, though, because we now have so many racers.

Updated with both of those suggestions. I've also included a blurb about multiple lap events.

Given the nature of this week, do people think there are other questions that would be useful to be answered in here?

A guide to viewing replays would be very helpful. It's easy to watch a replay and see if the driver stays on track, but how do you check to see if banned driving options, parts, etc. were used?

It might be useful, but not sure how detailed it's going to be.

Unfortunately, you can't see much, the replay data only tells you who did it, the car and the track along with time of the replay. Aero parts are easy to spot, beyond that, there isn't really much. Some might say that engine parts can give sound and they do, the racing air filter gives a distinctive sound, but my experience is that even if you take the part of, the car still sounds like it has an air filter.

It's a well raised point, but it'd be good to have some feedback from admins and other members on what we could say on it. So, I'll create a guide for that (maybe create it as a separate thread and link to it, or the first post is going to be huge), with some bullet points on what needs to be explained.

I can make it all pretty with some pictures.

As mentioned, I could talk about:

Aero parts (obvious, but can some of the side splitters can be a bit deceptive)
RPM's dropping for invisible wall hits.
Tyre toe (though is difficult from most camera angles) and camber
Exhausts (like with my early point about air filters, this needs some further investigating. I'd be happy to do this.)
Other engine parts
Ride Heights

I'll just add to the list from people's suggestions, then I'll start putting something together (though my brain recollection facility is telling me there's a replay guide somewhere in here?)

Last edited:
A guide to viewing replays would be very helpful. It's easy to watch a replay and see if the driver stays on track, but how do you check to see if banned driving options, parts, etc. were used?

The replay system on GT5 is quite limited. See here -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184073

We do have some means of monitoring the use of banned aids. That said, I would prefer to keep a tight lid on those. It's easier for people to cheat if they know what we are looking for.

If you are suspicious of a replay (that someone may be using something they are not supposed to be using), please bring it to the attention of one of the Race Admin staff via PM.

Very nice guide you've made here. :cheers:
I have a small remark about green flagging somebody.
It seems fetchy does not accept all green flags on the unofficial results thread.
If you post it like this: GTP_tag -
gflagjn4.gif

Fetchbot accepts it.
If you post it like this: GTP_tag
gflagjn4.gif

He doesn't.
The hyphen between the name and the flag seems to make the difference

EDIT: I've seen the way poolhaas shows below, Fetchbot accepts it too.
I think there maybe has to be some kind of space between the tag and greenflag IMO

Last edited:
Hmm, never paid any attention to it, I always used GTP_tag (time)
gflagjn4.gif
, don't know if it ever got accepted.

poolhaas
Hmm, never paid any attention to it, I always used GTP_tag (time) , don't know if it ever got accepted.

I think the problem with the greenflag should have been fixed with an update this week, so it should be ok with or without the hyphen now.

View the replay from your fastest lap, go to the Live Timing tab and your split times will be displayed as the replay plays. We post our splits so we can see how each other is doing, this is not compulsory, but it is encouraged. You can still submit if you don't post splits, and you don't have to submit if you do post splits.

But if you do both, do your last posted splits have to come from your submitted lap?

But if you do both, do your last posted splits have to come from your submitted lap?

We would prefer it that way, but it's not required. Occasionally, someone will improve their lap, but with slower splits, so they don't update the splits on the board.

If you consistently submitted laps with faster splits than those on the board, you're going to get called out eventually. In much the same way as you would if you submitted laps without posting splits at all, especially if you are high in the divisional finishing order.

As reviewers, should we then point it out when the splits don't match?

Last edited:
As reviewers, should we then point it out when the splits don't match?

There's no one answer to that question.

If someone improved their splits to the extent that it would have moved them up the board, but didn't report them, it should be pointed out. Just as a friendly reminder.

If someone keeps doing that, please make the admin staff aware, so we can have a conversation with them.

We've never had to punish anyone for that behavior, to my knowledge. Most of the time, just making people aware fixes it, as it's more often a case of ignorance, rather than deceit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back