GTP_WRS New Drivers and Promotions

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 3,085 comments
-------------- promotions -----------------
couttsy21 (@couttsy21) D2 Gold -> D1 Bronze (1.96861)
GTP_LeftyWright (@LeftyWright69) D2 Silver -> D2 Gold (2.32847)
MeisterFetz (@Meister Fetz) D2 Silver -> D2 Gold (2.33230)
GTP_Dutchy (@GTP_Dutchy) D3 Silver -> D3 Gold (3.01220)
mgfield (@Fieldy01) D3 Bronze -> D3 Silver (3.58263)
bocowes (@bocowes) D3 Bronze -> D3 Silver (3.63561)

----------- rookie placement --------------
GTP_juankmonty (@onek) -> D2 Silver (2.53202)

@Meister Fetz Congrats! You're hurry on your way to D1.
Remember to edit your signature.

Thank You!! What a week for me - First Division Victory, 1st top 10 overall in the tt, 0.019 behind the overall podium AND now the promotion - needless to say that I'M STOKED :drool:👍:gtpflag: I'm sure that was a bit over my average possibilities. Getting to D1 one day would be great, but that will be a long hard road from now on. Never thought of getting to D2G when I started few months ago :cool::sly:

Thank you guys,

That's extremely close to a double promotion :P If only last time I had driven with my windows up :P But wasn't planning a long stay in div 3 gold anyways :P

Here is a (little) write up i'd made because I'd like to keep track of thoughts on becoming a better driver so I can use that to reflect. For some drivers it maybe of use to get better faster and to others it maybe be a fun read whilst taking a trip down memory lane:P Love to hear what you guys think about it!

GTP_Dutchy’s Curva Grande #1

Introduction.
This is an update I wrote to reflect on passed time on GTPlanet. I’m planning to make these every once in a while so I can keep track of my progress and thoughts in my learning Curve that’s why I call it “Dutchy’s Curva Grande”. Since I’ve recently been promoted for the first time since the quallifier I think now is a good time to reflect.

Joining WRS
As some of you may know and some of you don’t I’m a good friend of Bart (PASM). We met when I joined our University kart team “A la kart”. One day we talked about gaming and the conversation quickly turned to GT. I’ve played GT1,2,3 fanatacaly but in a casual way (read: dive bombing and carner cutting my way to the front. Then my intrest started to shift towards shooters for a while. I went to university and wanted a console so I bought the pack with GT5 and played that till BF3 came out. Anyway as our conversation went on about GT it became clear that Bart is a two times national finalist at GTAcademy and he told me about the awesome GTPlanet forum. He made quite enthousiastic about the whole GTPlanet thing. I waited a while and when the game was on sale I bought it and began straight away. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ntroduce-yourself.111998/page-54#post-9322709

DS3 v.s. Racingwheel
Since I only had a DS3 and really wanted to learn driving with a wheel, Bart borrowed me his DFP and instantly got hooked with the added fun it brings when running the quallifiers.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-11#post-9365358
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-12#post-9907747

But it also introduced a learning curve I wasn’t quite as fast with the wheel as I was with the DS3. However It wasn’t as big of an gap as it would be for more experienced guys I think. The reason is that I wasn’t so fast and I recently bought the game so I didn’t get used to controls with the DS3 that longer playing drivers would have. So it would be more easy to adapt because I had no experience. Also I found out during the quallifiers I was faster with a wheel in the BMW and I was faster with the controller in the Megane. I think this is because oversteer can be better controlled by a wheel because I can be more precise with it. But with an understeering car it’s easy for a newbie to keep turning the wheel when the front tires lose grip which will result in over compensating causing you to lose time. After the quallifier I made a bungeecord mod to my wheel. I didn’t have a choice I had signed up for my first real race with the Lotus Evora did some test runs and found out I was about 5 seconds a lap slower. When I did an investigation to the source of the problem i noticed the brake pedal had an issue causing it to always brake about 5%. Luckily I had a bungeecord and could resolve the issue in front of the race. Also I noticed a good difference in the feeling with the pedals and again I could be more precise and got more fun out of it. I got used to the wheel but as wanted to make the next step in my learning curve.

Shifting
My next move was to ditch the automatic and learn to drive the car manual. I always thought it would take my ages to get used to it and in the beginning I was all over the place. After a weak I eventually got the hang of it and with this I mean I was becomming faster than the automatic. It’s unbelievable what advantage can be gained from that. It’s not only the extra speed you can get out of the engine but also if you can select the gear yourself you have control over the traction, rotation and balance of the car. I.e. The automatic lets you take the corner in 2 while you ideally would be using three. With the automatic , the shift would occur mid corner causing weightshift which you have to correct losing you a tenth of more. Often do you find yourself looking for hours on end to find another tenth not knowing where to find it, but this is how easy it can be found in one corner. For the shifting I had to use the stick since the paddle was broken I got a work around by using triangle. It worked but wasn’t ideal. When I got the money I Bought an G27 and the shifting went really smooth. Another advantage of shifting yourself is the pleasure you get. It makes racing more real and inproves the overall expereience aswel!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-13#post-10014032

TT’s
I started with the matterhorn ZZII combo(week 9). I invested a lot of time since it was the first TT of the teamTT’s But unfortunately I didn’t make a negative handicap and to be honest I was quite bummed out because all off my efforts to improve weren’t enough. Also some problems came up in the TT team and after that I did do some TT work but not with the full commitment as in I didn’t invest enough effort. But then came the mazda is as mazda does combo(week 26). I really enjoyed it an I became quicker and quicker and in the en I got the pleasure back out of doing the TT’s and concentrating less on what’s not important the leaderboards. But focus more on what is Important. Lines, Precision knowing which gear should be used in a corner knowing what speeds will be needed at begining apex and end points. And by focussing on these things I became quicker. Which as a result had me climbing the leaderboard. So that gets you in a positive vibe throughout the TT. So by becomming more aware of what you should be focussing on, you approach toward a TT you can learn in a more constructive way. So after 17 weeks I got my plessure back but also my personal goals with a higher rate of improvement. After that combo I had quite a busy time because of my graduation project and vacation. When I came back from my vacation I had some money left and gave my self a g27 as a birthday gift. I had to get used to the whole thing since it was quite another experience thats why I was strugling to find the pase in the RUF TT (week 33). Fortunatly in week 35 Fast Fat Cat combo I had lot’s of time on my hands and i dedicated a lot of time to the combo I think about 15 hours. It really paid of because I could try different dings and could focus on each detail about time trailing and found more and more time. I set myself achievable goals (splits). And when I achieved them I would reflect on what could be better in my opnion. Next to that I began to benefit from the extra precision in the G27 wheel I got used to it and it definetly made an improvement. This week came an update screwing with de FFB settings. But I didn’t noticed anything different but anyway this also was advantage for me. Since the rest of the wrs’ers had to adjust to the situation. This week I ended winning the TT in division 3 by quite a length ad a whopping handicap of -1.3 something. It really gave my addiction a boost. My previous best result was 6thin div 3 quite an improvement. The next result would also be a win but in the roamin’ ponies. I loved the smal circuit with these big aircraft carier like cars. It was hard at times especially navigating the thing through the kink.

RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now this is where I went real enthousiastic about. So if anyone’s reading this thinking how to I improve fast but hasn’t run online WRS go to the form right now (or after reading this :P) and sign up. Seriously sign up. If you thought TTing was fun that you really should be doing this! There are great battle’s and great respect all over the place from p1 to p 16 and from Div1 gold to Div 4 bronze. Doesn’t matter if you are div 4 and you don’t think you have the skillset. It doesn’t matter just join thats all it takes to develop your driving and skills. Don’t be afraid we won’t bite, Promise! I can recommend it to anyone in the WRS it’s a great experience, To be honest it makes my kind of sad to see a lot of people only doing the TT and not doing the Race, because to me the racing is the most fun and I feel sad that a lot of people could get 40% more fun out of their game. If you don’t believe me sign up for one WRS race just take a look if it’s fun for you. Like I said don’t be afraid that you are not good enough, When you park your ass on the couch and never go racing you won’t develop the skills, so right now is a good moment to join up and go racing with these guys! So much for the peptalk. Let’s go racing...

I was one of those guys who was a bit scared to be honest. Afraid to bump anyone offtrack or be in the way as the leader lapped me. So Bart and I had little talk somewhere along the line of what you just read and I tried it. And I got hooked straight away all the clean driving, respect and great battle’s. When I was done with the first one the adrenaline was still pumping for an hour. It’s so intense. You’re not racing AI so it instantly becomes more engaging and knowing it comes down to how good you are to pass a guy doesn’t matter if it’s on track or by pitstrategy and when you finally get it done after 3 or so laps the sence of accomplishment is way more rewarding than becoming first in any offline race of ending up a TT podium. So as I progressed I did the HSV rae at silverstone which was a disappointment to me because the practice had gone very well but in the race I spun out multiple times. Then the mazda MX-5 race came along that was a whole new level of excitement. And also the adrenaline stayed longer and I felt I had to do something with the experience I just got and I wrote a race report after that.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...da-does-july-19-23.313340/page-5#post-9907317

So after this it was the special Tripple mix part deux I absolutely loved that one 3 sprint races in gt300 cars action all over the place every race a different car. I had some great battle’s. Let’s say that the GT300 got a specialplace in my heart and in the near future I want to do something with it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gust-2nd-21-00-gmt.312817/page-5#post-9944363

Anyway after that I had some connection problems in the RUF an de fast cat races. I had a lot of badluck at the scirocco event and then came the Roamin’ Ponies also lot’s of fun. Bart and I decided to make a video about it.

The last race I wanted to do was the WED’s Forrest. Where I managed my first pole position but had to drive in to the pits after the formation lap because of visibillity issues. That was quite a bummer specially since I really really really loved this combo also because of the GT300 car :D But there is still a chance for the EU race! :D

So quick recap: Get a wheel, Learn to shift, Paricipate in online races!!! :P

Hope you guys enjoyed the read other wise you propably wasted a lot of time :P

Sweet:D. Thanks guys:cheers:
Even if I am definitely not good enough for D1G
Gratulations Ruz!! @Iceman220 well done!! Don't overload your brain with non-racing stuff ;)
Allready looking forward to race you again next month

@Mini Stiggy Joe that's your first and last appearance in this thread :lol: - that's where you belong!! Gratulations too!
3rd actually:lol:. Did bad in the 3 TT's while on rookie status so I started in D2G, then D1B after 1 TT, then a couple more and I got up to D1S.

Ruz well done mate! We all knew you were fast :sly: and you are not stopping there for sure 👍
Congrats Ministiggy for reaching the Mothership and joining his fellow aliens
McNuno, as Johan already said, Welcome to the division!!

Back