GTP WRS-Online : Event 108 : SPF 136 - October 2

• Thread starter oink83
  • 77 comments
I'm streaming the race too if anyone fancies watching.

That was a complete lag mess... When I crashed from the lead there were cars flying all over behind me and I was looking in my mirror to try and avoid getting smashed. Crashed myself. Ended up in front of Patrick who was flying all over the track and within a lap I got lag punted right into the middle of the ascari beach. I've had enough for a while.

Yes, in my replay Patrick was definitely causing some havoc as well. :ouch:

We need to develop some guidelines for these cases. GT6 will probably have some similar issues, but we'll see.

---
Congrats Paul on an awesome win! :cheers: Almost threw up the British national anthem for your first win, but then remembered it's your 2nd. (Harmonious Balance EU was your first)

And well done to Pekka and Jon for your podiums. 👍

Pekka and Paul tied for best lap...:eek:
(I left Jared's and my best laps out because they were dirty, and it was too much effort to find our real/legal best laps)

NA Results
event108NAresults_zps695e6435.png

Combined Results
event108CombinedResults_zps723c1eb2.png

Was tempted to send it up the inside
thenondive.jpg

You did get me worried there, I thought you were going to try it :sly:.

I made a mess of the first chicane at the start, I thought Pekka was right next to me so cut the second part of it to try to avoid him and waited to put the power down so that cost me a bit and was out of the slipstream from the start of you and Paul, luckily you two fighting helped me catch up. Once I caught up I just decided to wait behind and hope that one of you would make a little mistake so I could slip by.

It was a fun race and a shame that Paul and Tim (Caine) made little mistakes near the end so we couldnt fight till the end.

Yes, in my replay Patrick was definitely causing some havoc as well. :ouch:

We need to develop some guidelines for these cases. GT6 will probably have some similar issues, but we'll see.

---
Congrats Paul on an awesome win! :cheers: Almost threw up the British national anthem for your first win, but then remembered it's your 2nd. (Harmonious Balance EU was your first)

And well done to Pekka and Jon for your podiums. 👍

Pekka and Paul tied for best lap...:eek:
(I left Jared's and my best laps out because they were dirty, and it was too much effort to find our real/legal best laps)

NA Results
event108NAresults_zps695e6435.png

Combined Results
event108CombinedResults_zps723c1eb2.png

I am sorry Tim if it was my car that caused your issue, normally my connection is rock solid. I watched my replay from the view of other cars looking back at mine, and my car seemed normal. Maybe the lagging car does not appear to be troublesome in the replay of the one lagging. I have run quite a few races now, and this is the first I have heard that my car was causing lag issues.

You were lagging badly for me as well Patrick. I would see you off in the sand and then poof you were behind me again. A couple of times you shot right up close to my bumper and poof you were back where you had come from. It only lasted for the first half of the race and then you appeared solid. Weird!!!

Al

Thanks for the racing guys, well done all the podiums and Paul (Hassle) for the only person for a sub 2:01 in the race. Not entirely sure where I pulled that quali lap out from, but it was perfectly clean, honestly :)

Enjoyed this one just as much as I enjoyed the F40 race here, which was one of my faves too, so thanks for the combo Tim. Such a shame when you span it at that 2nd chicane, and then ended up on the receiving end of some lag. I swear, seriously you are cursed or something. It's always you!

I new in from EU race that Pekka had good pace because of the time he was making on us, so in NA I was hoping to get a great 1st chicane, and loose the draft and escape, but it was not to be. Battled with Pekka and Tim, until he went off and back, then me and pekka battled, right up until end of lap 13, where I pitted. Pekka went an extra 2, so I didn't see him for a bit, but when I did, I had ended up quite a bit in front, and even Jon had leapfrogged into 2nd about 4 seconds or so behind me. Just really focused on consistent laps, no mistakes, and just slow built my lead. Didn't see anyone ever again until the final lap I found Jared at Parabolica! If anyone wants to see some replay, I streamed the event so you can find that back 1 page I believe.

Thanks for the racing guys, well done all the podiums and Paul (Hassle) for the only person for a sub 2:01 in the race. Not entirely sure where I pulled that quali lap out from, but it was perfectly clean, honestly :) Enjoyed this one just as much as I enjoyed the F40 race here, which was one of my faves too, so thanks for the combo Tim. Such a shame when you span it at that 2nd chicane, and then ended up on the receiving end of some lag. I swear, seriously you are cursed or something. It's always you! I new in from EU race that Pekka had good pace because of the time he was making on us, so in NA I was hoping to get a great 1st chicane, and loose the draft and escape, but it was not to be. Battled with Pekka and Tim, until he went off and back, then me and pekka battled, right up until end of lap 13, where I pitted. Pekka went an extra 2, so I didn't see him for a bit, but when I did, I had ended up quite a bit in front, and even Jon had leapfrogged into 2nd about 4 seconds or so behind me. Just really focused on consistent laps, no mistakes, and just slow built my lead. Didn't see anyone ever again until the final lap I found Jared at Parabolica! If anyone wants to see some replay, I streamed the event so you can find that back 1 page I believe.

:lol: Being forced to 50 mph right after the 1st chicane on the 27th lap after already taking an extra pit stop for fuel 7 laps prior cost me quite a bit of time. No wonder you caught up. My best lap was a sub 2:01 but having a bit too much curb on the chicanes ruined it. I would have had a solid 5th if I had payed better attention to my fuel, but I didn't. We'll see how next week goes.

Last edited:
Anyone seen this weeks Seasonal time trial? I think they're watching us :sly:

Enjoyed this one just as much as I enjoyed the F40 race here, which was one of my faves too, so thanks for the combo Tim. Such a shame when you span it at that 2nd chicane, and then ended up on the receiving end of some lag. I swear, seriously you are cursed or something. It's always you!.

I was driving in my mirror and got transfixed with what was happening [to you]. We were going into the 2nd chicane with you close behind and I saw Revoy literally drive into you and throw you offline. Did that really happen or was it lag?

The irony of the situation is I was watching this and feeling bad for you when I decided to take my eyes off the mirror and look forward and my car was in a spin. Honestly, I was in shock as I wasn't even pushing.

I thought I might be able to battle back at first, knowing packs of cars lose time battling, but as you'll read below I couldn't get back up to speed for a long time initially because I had no idea where Patrick was and was under enemy "gun fire" and it took almost a full sector for me to slot into the racing line before being dumped into the beach on the very next lap.

I am sorry Tim if it was my car that caused your issue, normally my connection is rock solid. I watched my replay from the view of other cars looking back at mine, and my car seemed normal. Maybe the lagging car does not appear to be troublesome in the replay of the one lagging. I have run quite a few races now, and this is the first I have heard that my car was causing lag issues.

I've never seen lag quite so extreme. When I recovered from my mistake I was trying to get on track behind Al and you were beside me one second, in front by half a straight the next and then off in the sand the next second. In between those times your car would teleport at very high speed between these points and anything in its way was basically destroyed... My car was there a few times in the first moments after my recovery and I could barely keep it on the course myself. It felt at times like someone following me was shooting my car with a machine gun.

Then I got a bit of a gap, but could see you in my mirror about 8 car lengths off track about 50% of the time. I think both myself and Jared said as much over the mics. Finally, I broke going into Ascari and got rear ended at 150 kph and ended up smacking in the middle of the beach. Basically, you broke for the turn in, but that was never sent to my game over the connection due to lag and thus you were projected a full speed into my car.

CSL used to have similar lag in the early 3D3 days... usually he came back and reported after the race that someone in his house was watching netflix or using most of the bandwidth. Usually when lag gets that bad it's followed by a DC, I've never seen it so extreme for such an extended period without a quick DC. I really wish this game had some mechanism go ghost cars that are clearly lagging for a driver so at least contact isn't an issue. I think iracing ghosts cars that are having connection issues with other drivers until the connection becomes stable.

And yes, from your viewpoint it would look like other cars are jumping since the lag is two way. The only reason I say it's your issues and not me is that nobody else saw me lag and Al, Jared and myself all saw you flying all over the place. Al was solid in front of me and oink and company in front were solid from the start.

I'm seeing a much higher frequency of these issues lately and not very enthused about this game as a "close" racing platform at the moment. On combos where the cars tend to have gaps pretty early it's fine, but in situations where cars are within a car length for extended periods someone is being impacted [lately it seems to be me most of the time, but it could be anyone].

I was driving in my mirror and got transfixed with what was happening [to you]. We were going into the 2nd chicane with you close behind and I saw Revoy literally drive into you and throw you offline. Did that really happen or was it lag?

Damn, I do feel bad for you. Yes, I believe Revoy mis-judged the breaking point for 2nd chicane (I'm fairly confident my braking was good, don't recall early braking, but apologies Revoy if that was the case), and basically came into the back of me upon entry. Fortunately, I was a little way into the turn in, so the punt sent me right into the run-off green area on the inside. I actually could have used to it just blast right past you, so I ran over the green, and just let off the gas, planning to just keep the same position I had a bit behind you Tim, then the next thing I know, you just careered off. Was a painful sight :ouch:

As you said, in the TT catching a bit of grass or sand was more than recoverable, but with real grip reduction settings...that stuff is scary, and like you said, it must have just been a slight lapse in your concentration, and it snags you.

I was very pleased with my race. I didn't make any mistakes to claim 5th place!!!! That is a rare occurrence for me! Seeing Patrick behind me lagging all over the track was scary! I needed complete focus to stay clean and keep him from closing on me. Sorry that this is still happening to those affected by it. Thanks Patrick for chasing me and keeping me focused! It was a great battle even though we weren't in close proximity on the track. Love Monza! Love any Ferrari! Can we vote for this one for the grand finale????

Al

I was very pleased with my race. I didn't make any mistakes to claim 5th place!!!! That is a rare occurrence for me! Seeing Patrick behind me lagging all over the track was scary! I needed complete focus to stay clean and keep him from closing on me. Sorry that this is still happening to those affected by it. Thanks Patrick for chasing me and keeping me focused! It was a great battle even though we weren't in close proximity on the track. Love Monza! Love any Ferrari! Can we vote for this one for the grand finale????

Al

We could add it to the voting, but you better drum up some support for it in order for it to make the top 8.

Maybe we should create one more weekend of racing.

WRP's Lag Punt Redos:
  • R8 M8
  • SPF 136
  • Everybody's Golf
  • El Matador Valiente
El Matador was just a matter of time before I self destructed anyway so we can skip that one. :sly:

But seriously, what do they all have in common? Extended periods of close contact racing where lag has a long time to make an impact.

Coming up to that 2nd chicane, I lost concentration forgetting the extra draft speed and actually braked like a split second late (which is plenty meters in these races ). Halfway through my braking I realized that a nudge was inevitable and I tried swerving off a bit. This of course sent my dear Ferrari into a diagonal slide into the side of Paul. Thankfully due to a number of factors, it wasn't as dramatic as it could have been. On the flip side, when someone loses control and skids at a high speed (me in this situation), GT5 makes the culprit look like he/she is lagging and glitching forward rather than a flowing motion. Now this could be easily distracting and Tim so happened to notice, and the rest is history. The thing is, when I noticed he spun, I instinctively assumed I punted Paul into Tim and I felt bad. So in theory, 'twas my fault. My apologies.
All in all though, I enjoyed my race and my results. I was really aiming for a podium but I have to push harder.

Ahh, I wouldn't be so hard on yourself there Revoy. At the end of the day, the initial spin was Tim's fault. He should be concentrating on his own race not what is going on behind him :sly:. Afterwards - yes, was not his fault with Patrick seeming to be experience some bad lag, and having made the initial spin, Tim ended up right up next to that lag, that part was definitely not his own doing.

Like you said though, not as dramatic as it can be in slippery cars like this, and I managed to keep the car going forward, so no harm done there mate.

Tim, I will ask daughter if she was watching some type of streaming media. Again I apologize to all for the erratic behavior of my car. I feel bad ruining your night of racing Tim.

Tim, I will ask daughter if she was watching some type of streaming media. Again I apologize to all for the erratic behavior of my car. I feel bad ruining your night of racing Tim.

Don't feel bad. I ruined my chances by watching my mirror instead of looking forward as Paul said. Not sure how I driver for 75 minutes in an F1 car without a mistake but i manage to spin a road car. :lol:

Back