GTP WRS-Online : Event 15 : 16 x 3 Laps in a 4 Door - Dec 21

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 127 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
:idea:Sorry for the bump Al, that 0 / 1 braking brought me into that turn too fast,:guilty: Merry Christmas Everyone!:)

No worries! The new "real" setting for off track got me! Thought I had saved it but.... oh well that's racing!

Al

Race Report:
I went into the race thinking one pit-stop. I had been watching the EU race before getting bumped out, and finished watching through Speedy's stream. (Which is where I will watch races from now on, rather than entering the room.) It seemed possible to do, but tires were the obvious issue. I felt that if I could maintain laps around 59.xxx sec, I could make it.
So qualifying for me was about keeping pace while preserving tires. I didn't want to start in the middle of the pack and then have to negotiate backwards. I also figured that when anyone went off, that would be an easy pass. It was actually working. I wasn't quite keeping pace with the leader, but I wasn't losing so much as to worry, and I was staying on the track. My main concern was getting passed by those on the two-stop strategy without slowing them down or wrecking. As it turned out, Marc and Biffy caught me on the front stretch, so no problem there. I made my stop, and was waiting to see if Lucas or anyone else was going to catch me when........DC.

Race Report:
I went into the race thinking one pit-stop. I had been watching the EU race before getting bumped out, and finished watching through Speedy's stream. (Which is where I will watch races from now on, rather than entering the room.) It seemed possible to do, but tires were the obvious issue. I felt that if I could maintain laps around 59.xxx sec, I could make it.
So qualifying for me was about keeping pace while preserving tires. I didn't want to start in the middle of the pack and then have to negotiate backwards. I also figured that when anyone went off, that would be an easy pass. It was actually working. I wasn't quite keeping pace with the leader, but I wasn't losing so much as to worry, and I was staying on the track. My main concern was getting passed by those on the two-stop strategy without slowing them down or wrecking. As it turned out, Marc and Biffy caught me on the front stretch, so no problem there. I made my stop, and was waiting to see if Lucas or anyone else was going to catch me when........DC.

Feel bad for you Chuk... You had a good shot at 2nd. Dan was also on a 1-stop and was in front so unlikely it cost you first, but possibly a podium. This kind of tire mgmt is going to pay off even more with the new tire model.

Do you use a wireless connection for your PS3? I don't think you have router issues because you can get into the room and see everyone. More likely it's connection instability or bandwidth issues... if you have wireless it could simply be interference with the signal. Switch to wired for the races if at all possible.

If you have a wired cable already it could also be someone else using bandwidth in the house. Or it could be just a bad internet connection that drops your bandwidth or connectivity occasionally. All it takes is a few moments of the connection dropping or slowing to a crawl and you get DC'd. If it just slows slightly and data still trickles through you get lag, but if it slows too much or cuts out you'll DC. Also could be a faulty cable or cable modem...

One thing to try is an hour before the race shut down the PS3, reset the modem and your router (power cycle them both) and then power up the PS3 and clear the cache in GT5. It's like rebooting a computer to clear any issues that build up over time.

If all that doesn't make things better talk to your provider about getting a new modem... can't hurt or ask them to test your line.

Race Report:

I didn't know I that I was in the NA race.. :sly:

Biffy
I didn't know I that I was in the NA race.. :sly:

That's what I call lag! You run EU and your telemetry isn't visible in the lounge until the NA race. :lol:

Sorry about that Biffy!! And to whoever it was running with Marc. That just shows you how fast they went by!! :)

I have been tutoring with Jake about setting up the DMZ that you mentioned before. I think the first problem is that I have Comcast for internet service. It does waver from time to time. We occasionally see this on Sunday mornings. The overall speed isn't bad, but it's not consistent. My PS3 is wired, and I clear cache on an almost daily basis. The problem that night I think was a severe electrical storm that was coming through. I said to my wife that there was a lot of traffic and the headlights kept shining on the windows. She said something warm and intimate, like "That's lightening you 🤬 idiot!" Shortly thereafter, I was DC'd.
I've had the connection tested and re-wired this past summer, and Jake and I checked the outlets to fix any grounding issues. It's really been pretty stable, other than that day, and that's how it usually happens. If we start the day off with connection issues, they don't go away. The entire power grid around here has been battered all summer long, and parts of power and cable TV networks are cobbled together.
But I am working on learning what I can do to maintain and/or repair issues as they come up. I'm learning more from you guys than I've learned in the past twenty years, and will continue to do so. Jake will be around this week-end, so maybe I'll find time for another lesson. Next I want to set up a imageshack or photobucket account so I can upload pictures. In the meantime, all I can do is keep trying and ask for patience!!
As I'm writing this, the power company is working on the lines outside the house. They are still repairing damage from the storm in October!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back