GTP WRS-Online : Event 23 : Mount Maserati - Feb 15

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 79 comments
Makes sense to me Tim :)

Unfortunately I'm going to have to drop out of tonight's race guys. We're going out tonight, which is why I didn't sign up in the first place, then completely forgot and signed up anyway. :dunce: Have fun. :cheers:

My 'reserve' status for EU just became "cancelled". :(
Have a good race guys, I'll see you in the NA race 👍

WRP001
Does that make sense or am I just terrible at being succinct?
It's good 👍
It's important for drivers to know that simply turning all of the mics in a room does not solve the lag problem caused by mics.
The race needs to be in a lobby that does not allow mics at all, and has the feature turned off, as it is not possible to change that setting once drivers are in the room.
So we practice, and qualify in a room that allows mics in order to keep it social, and organize drivers better, but if we have more than 12 drivers we need to move to a room that does not allow mics.
Bit of a pain, but that's how it has to be until the online races are free from these PD/Sony connection issues.

The lobby for EU pre race practice is open. (GTP_3D3Racing)

Is it ok for a really late sign up for EU, not long in from work

Congratz to Wes for another great win:

event23_res_eu.png

The gaps for all but the top 3 (and Chuk) are from lap 29 as I goofed and didn't set the race finish delay to 180 before the start. Chuk lost a couple spots on the final lap so I just estimated the gap based on where he was when the timer ran out.

Nice to have 13 start and 13 finish the race. 👍 Switching lounges seemed to work fine except for the race finish delay setting. Caused a little delay switching, but we saw absolutely no lag. Who knows after the update we might be able to run a full grid with mics... I would rather test it during practice versus an official race though and until that can be done we'll stick with this formula.

It's interesting with all the various pit strategies that there weren't more drastic position changes during the race. It got pretty spread out actually and I ended up running alone for the vast majority of the race due to my spins.

Last edited:
Chuk was also lucky in not taking out Sjaak on that final lap! :scared:

Nice driving to miss me Sjaak! 👍

And a quick nod to Gooners (Mohit) for being just plain fast!! 👍

You appeared in my mirror, you pulled in front of me, and then you left my sight!! :cheers:

Wes, another great run! :)

Thanks for hosting Tim 👍,
great racing guys :)

Congrats to Wes ,Pekka and Gooners with the podiums.

To bad for Chuk with his unlucky crash in the last lap otherwise he had me again with a different pit strategy.👍

Crashes by personal mistakes did have some influence on the race,jtv ,chuk and myself early in the race.

I was like OMG,where is that reverse button when the car did nothing but instead heard a horn ;):lol:

I started the race with 5/1 brake bias, but changed to 5/2 after a few laps. My tire wear seems to be even between front and rear, but I'm slow. I need to find more time per lap if I'm going to chase the leaders tonight.

And a quick cheer to Pekka for his podium! :cheers:

Sorry I missed the race, my net has been disconnecting all night. Couldn't stay on the PSN 👎

Too bad... Maybe some server you were using was getting prepped for the upcoming update. Sorry you missed it. You would have seen me spin early and often -- not a thing of beauty. :crazy:

Too bad... Maybe some server you were using was getting prepped for the upcoming update. Sorry you missed it. You would have seen me spin early and often -- not a thing of beauty. :crazy:
Something tells me I'm gonna be repeating your EU performance in the NA race...

Just woke up for the NA race and I must download some system update.. :lol:

I will most likely miss the qualify the least.

Thanks for hosting Christophe. Missed the start but came in at lap 14 for your spin :sly: Certainly looked tricky beasts to tame :scared:

Well done Pekka on the win 👍

Congrats to Wes and Pekka for the wins 👍.

Thanks Chuk, but I think it was down to the difference in tires. I can't take all the credit for it.

Sorry Dan for the nudge near the tunnel, there was a vast tire performance difference and I didn't anticipate it properly for that turn.

Tim, looks like I hit the gas while my rear tire wall still on the grass, caught me out. There wasn't any contact.

Tim, looks like I hit the gas while my rear tire wall still on the grass, caught me out. There wasn't any contact.

Glad to hear that. I didn't feel any contact or hear any, but I knew the pass was risky and I took the inside there hoping to get through when you took off on that jump and went wide.

Here are the results. I guessed on a couple guys pitstops... let me know if I got anything wrong:

event23_res_na.png

Great to have such a large crowd tonight and no lag at all. 👍 Now we have to shoot for 16 at once!

It was a good race.
Congrats on the win Pekka.

My laggy start here at 27:00min. Really weird.

Watched a bit of the replay. The start was pretty awful. Lucas starting on pole for some reason and then having a pretty slow getaway. Speedy having a black screen and not moving at all. And then some wrecks creating havoc with the field. Pekka had an 8 second lead by turn 3 and never let go of it.

If we did it over I think I'd push for a formation lap. I'm thinking we may want to start doing them more often. It'll cure the black screen issue we've been having and in fact we can forget the staging for the grid and just get in the proper order for the formation lap.

Plus on certain combos like this the first few turns and the no grip just lead to inevitable incidents. Both races had crashes in the first couple corners... I think due to the car/track combo. Momentum is everything in this car and nobody wants to let up, but going two wide is not really possible as there is only one groove/line through T1 that works well.

Next week at Monza I think we should consider a formation lap.... technically it doesn't even have to launch at the start/finish... we can pick the part of the track to "go" if the first turn isn't conducive to a rolling start.

Having said all that once the race got underway it was fun. I had a *lot* more fun than the EU race. I had very close and clean battles with JTV at various points. Lots of give and take and JTV has good awareness of cars around him and makes some room if two wide... good driver 👍 and you can see he bested every D2 driver in the field.

A few really good laps between gooners, jtv, dsgerbc and hydro before gooners crashed and hydro and dan piled into him. Also a few good laps with Speedy on worn tires and jtv on our final stint. I thougth for a minute I had 2nd place, but wasn't meant to be. I'll take a podium any day.

I always prefer race cars, but this turned out to be pretty fun after all. A lot better the 2nd time around.

I may try to pull some highlight videos as it's actually pretty fun looking in the rear view and seeing these cars slide all around the track.

Glad you finally came around, Tim. ;)

Congrats to you and Pekka and JTV for the great driving tonight.

I must apologize to all for panicking when the game put me on pole. I had a horrible qualifying session that involved a quick bathroom break (:dunce:), and then had a horrible race start, trying to figure out if I should just pull over, have us all restart, or just run with it! :D After 2 turns I pulled over and got in last place. Hopefully all the contact in the first few turns can just be blamed on me bunching up the field and Speedy's weird lag start (like Tim had in one of the Rain Dance races...).

I had a great time in this race, it was more than I could hope for. :) Thanks Marc and Tim for the great day of racing! :cheers:

Gravitron
I must apologize to all for panicking when the game put me on pole.

Curious if there is any reason you got put on pole. I saw one triangle pop in pits late... Did you leave track for pits or do anything different? Not placing blame just want to know why. It's the first time ever this staging technique didn't work right for us.

You almost had a podium. You should have just gone with pole and held Pekka up for us. :sly: your fast lap had me crushed... You mad a heck of a come back from last. 👍

My laggy start here at 27:00min. Really weird.

Weird, indeed!

I checked with my replay, and we disappeared from each other's drivers list at around 58 or 59 seconds after the start. Your driver list was all messed up, though, showing us as 4th and 5th. My list showed you as 12th and me as 14th (:ouch:).

Tim, I think it was you who asked Speedy afterwards if he could see me. What gave you a hunch that he couldn't?

Anyway, I'll look into the DMZ business. As Marc typed at the top of his lungs, "IT CAN ONLY HELP!"

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary for the staging. I was about the 5th car out of the pits, and parked well behind the line that was forming, to leave room for 6th through 10th (me in 11th). I then hit handbrake and Start, so I could type that Dale needed to move forward and get in front of me. Then just waited and did some honking and revving. Didn't go back to pits or anything, and I didn't notice the "triangle pop in pits late" that you mention.

I did get pretty lucky avoiding 3 or 4 people spinning out over the course of the race, and with the different pit strategies, didn't really realize that I was doing well until my last stint. Not sure if that fast lap had drafting involved, but it easily could have. It felt like I was gaining on you in the last few laps, but that's probably not true. :dopey:

Weird, indeed!

I checked with my replay, and we disappeared from each other's drivers list at around 58 or 59 seconds after the start. Your driver list was all messed up, though, showing us as 4th and 5th. My list showed you as 12th and me as 14th (:ouch:).

Tim, I think it was you who asked Speedy afterwards if he could see me. What gave you a hunch that he couldn't?

Anyway, I'll look into the DMZ business. As Marc typed at the top of his lungs, "IT CAN ONLY HELP!"

It was me actually.
I don't know what lap it was, but I was gaining on Speedy, with both yourself and pre battling between us.
After I got past Pre (both you and Pre were being lapped) and we closed on Speedy, it looked like you and Speedy were engaged in all out war, with you apperaing to not want to let up in a blue flag stuation, and Speedy retaliating by forcing you off line.
As both of you passed the s/f line, I was convinced that you two were going to crash badly so I attempted to alter my line for the first turns, and wound up going off and spinning. :(

It had occurred to me that you couldn't see eachother, but it really looked like at times you were attempting to give Speedy room, so in the race, it was really hard to tell what was going to happen.
I really wasn't about to believe that you two decided to turn the race into a hockey fight, so I figured you couldn't see eachother.

Latest Posts

Back