GTP WRS-Online : Event 30 : Why has it Denso Long? - Apr 4

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 184 comments
Well we can go back or forth for awhile, but in terms of solutions to race start I've got one:

Practice. Practice. Practice. Show up to the official practices and the admins can hold 3-4 starts to get a feel of the first corner in traffic for that combo. Another even better time is during the pre-race period where the lounge is full, we can hold a couple of start practices.

If you guys do go with the McLaren at Nurburgring, I can smell a rolling start (:yuck:), just because the first corner is so nasty. But I feel with a few practice starts we will get better, and can correct any inaccurate approaches. Since we have a similar batch of racers, in time and with practice everyone should get better.

Not trying to sound big headed, but I feel I'm a pretty decent starter, i.e, don't think I've ever initiated contact in a 3D3 race (at the start :lol: ) and I don't think I've ever lost a place in a grid start. If anyone's unsure on how to take a first corner in crazy traffic, and you see me in the lounge, I'll be glad to help out with some tips.

NA race report: It was just before race start that I realized, OH 🤬, it's just me against 5 D2 guys (I know Jon is still technically D3, but...). So I decided I would go 8/7/8/7 and try to improve my lap times as I had no hope of finishing anywhere but last. I had only one 1'48.xxx lap, just like in the EU race, but I was able to manage four sub 1'50 laps in a row, twice, something I am pretty happy about. I guess I discovered a couple of spots where I was braking too early or waiting too long to get back on the throttle, so I still had fun.

Official NA Results... Congratz Marc on the fastest total time today!

event30_res_na.png

Congrats on the win Marc, very nice consistent race out in front 👍
I had a really good start and had 2nd by the first corner. From there Marc slowly built on his lead (almost) every lap and Tim pitted at the end of Lap 7 from 3rd close behind. After Marc and I pitted on Lap 10, Tim went through into the lead but on older tires slowly dropped back until pitting just as I got his draft. At the end of Lap 20 I had about half my tires left so I continued for an extra lap and lost a couple of seconds to Marc before diving in to the pits for fresh rubber.
Nothing really changed to the end of the race, Marc continued to build his lead and I felt comfortable in 2nd but kept pushing to try and keep the lead to less than 15 sec and was almost successful in doing so :)

P.S Our qualifying times have been swapped Tim ;)

Last edited:
My advise for a clean start ; Think of it as the part of the race where you have to be most carefull, do not approach your start like a quali round, there is no problem loosing a few tenths or even a sec'..... cause a few hundred meter further, all is sorted out.....

Maybe this incident should not have happend....but it did, i have done a couple of races with you guys, and this was the first time this happened. So in my opinion the rules or setup of our races do not need to be changed. Just try not to keep your foot down all the time during starts.....

Another remark i would like to make, if there were never incidents we would end up having boaring races. in this case the incident made it very intresting in te back of the field, i am convinced that part of the reason i did enjoy this race so much had something to do with this incident, as otherwise i would never ended up battling with Speedy....

Again, i had my most enjoyable race with you guys so far, so keep on doin' what you're doin....... and thanks again to everyone for the 'sparkling' race.

But it was fun mixing it up with Jammy, RacingWorld and NineHundred as my races are often quite lonely affairs. I did not finish last, for once, and was not lapped, so I was quite happy about that!

Yes it was fun racing with you all until i made couple mistake and drop behind. My first WRC online race and enjoyed it. Also my first race with Lexus SC430 (petronas). I was happy that only two drivers lap me (GTP_w-g-e and GTP_gooners_17). I even tried to past GTP_w-g-e few last laps but didn't succeed. Then i saw GTP_gooners_17 coming behind me and i let him past me.

Last edited:
Any takers for a rematch this Saturday?
20:00 GMT as usual.

How does several races of 10-15 laps sound?
Maybe even with the 2nd and 3rd race using reversed grid based on previous race?

I will probably be able to race, and the multiple short races sounds good 👍

It would be fun sometime to use the Saturday fun races to try some different things. Not saying this is the best week for this (given difficulty to pass), but what about a kind of "attack setup".

• Run the first race (15 laps or whatever) normally and record gaps at the finish.
  • Run reverse grid on 2nd race, but have drivers stay on grid for some % of the gap. i.e. if you finished first and the last car was 30 seconds behind you would have to remain parked for 27 seconds (90% of 30).
  • Reverse grid with a bit of a twist.
  • Come up with a two race "finish" system that discourages a driver from lowering the gap of the first race. E.g. The overall event winner is the driver with the lowest "total" time across both races.
  • Add a bonus for positions. e.g. You get 1 second taken off your "aggregate" time for each driver you finish in front of for each race.

Something along those lines could be an interesting change of pace and something we could really only try for the Saturday fun events where it's more relaxed anyway.

I should be able to make it, Speedy.

Tim: when I read your post, I kept thinking what David Letterman said: "There is no off position on the genius switch"!

I should be able to make it, Speedy.

Tim: when I read your post, I kept thinking what David Letterman said: "There is no off position on the genius switch"!

:lol: I don't know about "genius"... maybe "savant" is a better description.

PS> Glad to see I'm still featured in your signature. :dunce:

I gotta think of something outrageous to say, to get myself added to Daniel's sig. 💡

BTW, I can't make it on Sat, guys. :(

It would be fun sometime to use the Saturday fun races to try some different things. Not saying this is the best week for this (given difficulty to pass), but what about a kind of "attack setup".

• Run the first race (15 laps or whatever) normally and record gaps at the finish.
  • Run reverse grid on 2nd race, but have drivers stay on grid for some % of the gap. i.e. if you finished first and the last car was 30 seconds behind you would have to remain parked for 27 seconds (90% of 30).
  • Reverse grid with a bit of a twist.
  • Come up with a two race "finish" system that discourages a driver from lowering the gap of the first race. E.g. The overall event winner is the driver with the lowest "total" time across both races.
  • Add a bonus for positions. e.g. You get 1 second taken off your "aggregate" time for each driver you finish in front of for each race.

Something along those lines could be an interesting change of pace and something we could really only try for the Saturday fun events where it's more relaxed anyway.

Very nice 'little' twist! 👍
Although I had to read it three times to fully understand what you were trying to say there Tim. :lol:
EDIT: Doing this, I'll try to use the google docs to determin the evening winner.

I kept thinking what David Letterman said: "There is no off position on the genius switch"!

Exactly Daniel. :)

EDIT: Doing this, I'll try to use the google docs to determin the evening winner.

Let me know if you want me to work on the calculations with you. Make it simple so you just have to enter information from the finish screen and it'll calculate your gaps for race 2 and then final scoring.

This is the correct time right for saturday?

Let me know if you want me to work on the calculations with you. Make it simple so you just have to enter information from the finish screen and it'll calculate your gaps for race 2 and then final scoring.
Thanks 👍
This is the correct time right for saturday?

That's correct.

I can't make it tommorow.

👍

Just kidding :lol:. Congrats on the EU win again, though just 1.2 secs in it make me go :ouch:.

Oh and congrats to Marc for the NA win. Now who'll win the last game of the season tomorrow? :sly:

👍

Just kidding :lol:. Congrats on the EU win again, though just 1.2 secs in it make me go :ouch:.

Oh and congrats to Marc for the NA win. Now who'll win the last game of the season tomorrow? :sly:

I'll be the Habs, you can be the Leafs ;)
It's showdown time 👍

Ok, so we're going to give that new thingy - Tim came up with - a try for the oncoming Saturday fun races.

The track will be reset for a small 10min quali for the first race.
Depending on the votes we'll go with 10 or 15 laps (votes can go here or in the lounge).
The second race we'll be going with reversed grid depending on previous race.
The start of the second race, everybody will get a delay time to start their race depending on the results of the previous race.

To determin a winner, your total time of the two races will count AND bonuses will be added depending on finishing positions from both races (-1.5sec per driver you leave behind you at the finish).

Track reset and the 10 min quali will happen in about 1 hour from now.

Last edited:
I'm planning to be there barring any last minute conflicts.

This format was deffinately something to keep doing for the Saturdays.

Just to give you guys an idea where everybody finished after the two races, here are the results.

080412.png

Yah, I thought the format was fun for a change of pace. I think it'll work even better on a track where passing is a little easier. It does tend to get skewed if someone has a "bad" first race and/or changes pit strategy (as I did), but in the end the fastest three drivers ended up 1-3 in the overall so it worked and provided some variety.

We can tweak the two parameters (stagger percent, position bonus) based on track and difficulty to pass. I think if passing is easy the % gap should be closer to 100 and the harder it is to pass the closer to 0. We used stagger=65% and bonus = 1.5 for today's races.

Here's the individual results:

event30_res_sat_race1.png
event30_res_sat_stagger.png
event30_res_sat_race2.png

Back