GTP WRS-Online : Event 47 : The Grip Meister

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 118 comments
snowgt
I have a suggestion, but it might be too late to change it.

From the practice races we did last night, much fun came from the fact that people were on a different rhythm regarding their pitstops. If we do 8 laps, EVERYone will do 2 lap stints. So why not do 7 or 9 laps? This would bring some much needed variety to the race. You could take yourself out of traffic, produce some mismatches with the tires on the track, etc.

What do you guys think...?

I agree. It would put people on slightly different strategies. With a track this long, if everyone is on the same strategy the field could spread out and not see each other. With different strategies, even if you don't see other cars you could still hope to make up ground with your strategy.

Then it should be 7 laps, this was the GP distance when F1 ran on the old track in the '70s :)

Edit: correction, the GPs were 14 laps. It must have been F2 that was 7. My racing memory is fading :(

Last edited:
Then it should be 7 laps, this was the GP distance when F1 ran on the old track in the '70s :)

Edit: correction, the GPs were 14 laps. It must have been F2 that was 7. My racing memory is fading :(

Boy, you remember F2? Ok, but then, one of my earliest memories is Lauda's accident in '76. :sly:

Signed up as reserve for both.
I have e pretty busy schedule this evening so don't know if I'll make EU.
Having a better chance at making NA this week.

snowgt
Boy, you remember F2? Ok, but then, one of my earliest memories is Lauda's accident in '76. :sly:

Must play Grand Prix Legends. That's how I know my F2 history from the 60s.

gman1647
Must play Grand Prix Legends. That's how I know my F2 history from the 60s.

LOL, no GPL for me. My boss, back when I was learning to be a race car mechanic, had worked in F2. He told me LOTS of good stories :)

I have a suggestion, but it might be too late to change it.

From the practice races we did last night, much fun came from the fact that people were on a different rhythm regarding their pitstops. If we do 8 laps, EVERYone will do 2 lap stints. So why not do 7 or 9 laps? This would bring some much needed variety to the race. You could take yourself out of traffic, produce some mismatches with the tires on the track, etc.

What do you guys think...?

We appreciate your suggestions, but your first caveat is the reason we're sticking to 8 laps. We like to avoid last minute rule changes as drivers have already invested time developing strategies based on the existing rules and regulations.

Know your meme!

One of my favourites:

1325617422669.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

WRP001
We appreciate your suggestions, but your first caveat is the reason we're sticking to 8 laps. We like to avoid last minute rule changes as drivers have already invested time developing strategies based on the existing rules and regulations.

I think the primary benefit of a 7 or 9 lap race might've been making 3-lap stints perhaps worth trying.

As it stands I suspect some of the fast guys will do 1-lap stints and the rest of us will do 2-lappers. That still allows for differences in fuel strategy and for considerable variation in the approach to the second lap of a stint. You can lean on it during the first lap but there's a risk/reward element to the second that will be interesting to see play out.

I think the primary benefit of a 7 or 9 lap race might've been making 3-lap stints perhaps worth trying.

As it stands I suspect some of the fast guys will do 1-lap stints and the rest of us will do 2-lappers. That still allows for differences in fuel strategy and for considerable variation in the approach to the second lap of a stint. You can lean on it during the first lap but there's a risk/reward element to the second that will be interesting to see play out.

3 laps stints are impossible, with R3 at least. I don't think anyone here can do them, unless they drive 30-40 seconds off their pace every lap.

I'll send a level 24 ticket to anyone who can manage 3 laps on racing soft tires and maintain anything close to a "reasonable" pace. How about we make it a challenge? There has to be a minimum lap time of course, but it doesn't have to be aggressive. You can't press start and let the AI drive for 30 minutes. :lol:

Wes has taken on these crazy challenges before (Rakete/20 laps and won, but not on his first try and he needed some funky ballast to make it work) so let's see if there are any takers this time around. Today obviously, we concentrate on the official race, but if you or anyone want to set up a little spectacle over the next couple days... accept this challenge and we'll meet in the lounge and have fun with it. Maybe I can even stream it.

What do you think? Lap times would have to be below 9:00 or 9:30 or X:XX?

:lol:

I don't think a 3-lapper is impossible, but you have to be very smooth and make zero mistakes. And that jumps the risk/reward into unfavorable territory. With but one error you'd be one a 3-lap strategy with 2 2/3 laps of tire.

As it is, even on a 2-lap stint it's going to come down to keeping it off the Armco and out of the weeds. I suspect evry driver will have a significant off-track moment sometime during the 8 laps.

I don't think a 3-lapper is impossible, but you have to be very smooth and make zero mistakes. And that jumps the risk/reward into unfavorable territory. With but one error you'd be one a 3-lap strategy with 2 2/3 laps of tire.

As it is, even on a 2-lap stint it's going to come down to keeping it off the Armco and out of the weeds. I suspect evry driver will have a significant off-track moment sometime during the 8 laps.

I agree with most of that. But I still challenge you or anyone to run 3 decent laps on a set of R3 tires... Name your ticket. :lol: No risking the real race, it would be a friendly exhibition so there is no risk, only potential for reward.

We all could do 3 lap stints if we paraded around for an entire lap during each stint and we all know that none of us will do that, ever.

In the EU practice race that was 3 laps, I think I was the only one to pit on lap 1. It's not a good strategy to pit off sequence with the field because you end up catching slower cars that are on worn tires and it kills your chances of building any gap on the field while they pit.

Edit: Does handicap factor into the registration lists for these races? Just wondering if the registration list will pretty much be the race line up aside from any reserve drivers that show up.

Last edited:
In the EU practice race that was 3 laps, I think I was the only one to pit on lap 1. It's not a good strategy to pit off sequence with the field because you end up catching slower cars that are on worn tires and it kills your chances of building any gap on the field while they pit.

Agree 100%.

The odd lap count would end up with everyone (who is thinking about proper strategy and in any sort of battle) saving their single lap stint for the very end of the race. The one exception might be if two cars completely broke away from the pack behind and the gap back to the next car would be enough to complete a pit and still come out in front. In that case one driver might do well to do their single lap stint early and leap frog by pushing really hard and then having the other car stuck behind them. But the game doesn't give us the information we need to make this decision unless you are in the lead. So basically leaves the short pit strategy to only the last place car.

For me there is no strategy to think about today at all. That's good, because my mind needs to focus on one thing. Staying on the road and pushing hard enough to be competitive and not too hard to blow out the tires. That's enough. By contrast my mind will be constantly spinning scenarios in the enduro this weekend. A good change of pace.

I think I'm out for both races guys :(
Eu for sure, and probably NA as well. I picked up some flu like bug and my concentration is just shot.
Have a good race 👍

Guys we have two possible points for the launch of the race. We tried one last night that worked well as far as location, but was a rush to organize with normal rules: the overhead sign between turns 2 and 3 -- right at the end of T1. I'll post a picture shortly. The downside to that launch point is that we have to get organized pretty quickly. I'm proposing we give that launch point a try in pre-race once with the following adjustments to the normal setup.

First, everyone should stay on grid and not move at all after the timer has expired. A steward (me) will call out the drivers in order. The pole sitter should proceed to the end of the pit lane wall (green wall on right) and park/stop on their preferred side of the track. The next driver should park staggered just behind and on the other side. When all drivers are parked in proper position the pole sitter can being to roll slowly and other drivers should roll when the driver in front does. The max speed limit is much lower @ 65 kph / 40 mph.

The pole sitter should take turns 1/2 very slowly and after the turn 2 the pole sitter needs to stay slow and let the final driver clear the chicane before accelerating to 65 kph. All other drivers are responsible for keeping up and keeping on their proper side of track and stagger. When the pole sitter reaches the overhead sign just before turn 3 he can accelerate to race pace and all other drivers can accelerate when the driver in front of them does so.

If we practice this and it's not manageable, we'll move the start to a point after Schumacher and after the following left right. So we'll start just before the right hand kink and before the chicane.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the proposed launch point (the overhead sign) and the map is on the left for reference:

GripMeisterLaunchPoint.jpg

I've registered for the NA race.

I added you to the driver database and you will show up on the next driver registration image refresh.

I'll have to log into the 3D3 lounge accounts after the EU race and accept your friend requests before the NA race, but that should be fine. Just be sure to send the FR if you haven't already.

If you have any questions about the race or how to join the lounge etc. now is the time. :sly:

PS> The main lounge is open for EU practice.

I might be a couple of mins late...

We are starting at 5 past the hour so that gives you a few mins. If we see you have logged into PSN we'll wait a minute or two, but that's the limit.

Also please read the start procedures posted above. I'll be going over them in the thread at the top of the hour.

THAT WAS AWESOME! You guys are a cool bunch to race with :)

Apologies to Porsche for a lame rookie mistake on the first lap. The good news I ended in the gravel not you!

What I didn't understand was how I came out of the pits fifth at the end of the first stint. Did you guys take on fuel? I let GT5 figure it out and it threw in 8 liters the first stop and nothing after that. And oh boy! It's not the same car on an empty tank 👎

Congrats on the win James 👍 also to Mohit and Tim for placing on the podium 👍

THAT WAS AWESOME! You guys are a cool bunch to race with :)

Apologies to Porsche for a lame rookie mistake on the first lap. The good news I ended in the gravel not you!

What I didn't understand was how I came out of the pits fifth at the end of the first stint. Did you guys take on fuel? I let GT5 figure it out and it threw in 8 liters the first stop and nothing after that. And oh boy! It's not the same car on an empty tank 👎

Great racing, guys! 👍

Congratulations to the podium winners.
Had a pretty decent race with a few minor offs, better as I expected :)
Really enjoyed my first event on the Nurburgring and the WRS Crew.
Was fun drafting on Oettinger Hoehe :sly:

Congratz to Twissy on the win. I got disconnected from the lobby server a minute after the race ended and never got the replay. If anyone saved an NTSC copy of the replay I would much appreciate you sending it to me. If not, if anyone can give me the normal data from the PAL replay that would be great. I took a screen shot of the finish order as we were doing the parade lap, but don't have fast laps, etc.

Here's the pic:

event47_res_eu_screenshot.jpg

My race was completely awesome. One of the most intense races I've experienced in GT5. Second only to the Laguna Enduro.

Race Report:

First lap I was on gooners like a glove and Scott was on me like a glove. I really didn't want to push that much, but Scott was putting so much pressure on me I had no choice but to pressure Mohit. Mohit made sure to hog the entire road and not let me attempt any passes. Scott made a mistake or fell back and thus I backed off as my tires were toast by this point having pushed and been in dirty air for almost an entire lap. I didn't think I had a shot at Mohit over the long haul so I settled in for a breeze in the park for 3rd place. WRONG! Looming in my mirror and getting ever closer was SnowCrash. I managed to keep him out of my draft for the 2nd lap while babying tires, but I was determined not to kill my fresh tires on lap 3. SnowCrash was pushing more and caught me and attacked non stop and he finally drafted by me. Instead of re-passing, which I had the opportunity to do I just decide to push him and conserve tires for the rest of the race. He took off into the near distance for a while and maybe got out to 5-6 seconds. Then I just paced myself. On lap 2 of stints I was eating well into his lead. After lap 6 I was right with him again, but just out of touch of the draft. I paced and stuck about 2.5 seconds behind... still took running pretty good laps. 8:25 out laps after pits and 8:12 ish 2nd laps pretty consistent -- I don't know the exact numbers without a replay, but neither of us made a single major mistake or got on grass *ever* in the race. Finally on lap 8 I thought I had something for him so halfway through that lap I closed to about 1.5 seconds and hunted. Going into the last half my strategy was to put pressure by being there without actually getting in dirty air. As we approached the final sections I decided I couldn't wait for a mistake and started to push. The last mini carousel I had enough tires to just launch off there and take the next set of rights almost full out and there was nothing to lose so I went for it. I just sniffed his draft coming into the long straight and made the pass too late in the straight for him to repass. He came back at me, but by that time there was no safe place to pass and he drove very clean. A slight bobble by him in the final chicane otherwise it was a drag race to the finish.

Top notch driving Snowcrash. 👍 I think you were in my view in front or my rear view mirror for 6 of the 8 laps if not more -- and I mean the entire lap, not just parts of it. :boggled:

Last edited:
Looks like a might be able to do the NA race too :)

Sorry about screwing up the registered drivers, I resubmitted adding "confirmed" for the EU race :embarrassed:

I think if I hadn't spun and hadn't needed to make a pitstop of my own, I might have been up towards the top of the results. I lost about 2 minutes because of those first two laps.

I had a great time racing with traffic but for most of the race I was bored bored bored racing by myself and found it very hard to concentrate. I continue to get faster racing with you guys but it is still impossible to keep up. If it wasn't for some spins I would not have seen anyone for the entire race, so thanks for not being perfect guys!

Al

Back