GTP WRS-Online : Event 47 : The Grip Meister

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 118 comments
OK, a couple things have been finalized for the event:
  • Racing Soft Tires Online
  • 8 Laps

The exact launching point for the race after the formation "sectors" will be determined tomorrow after practice.

The race should last between 65 and 70 minutes. There will be no qualifying so the total time required should actually be a bit less than our normal 55-60 minute events.

Notes: You should be able to run two laps on soft tires, but you will need to have at least 60-65 percent tread left going into your second lap. If you are at 50% you definitely want to consider pitting. Pushing on the GP course can really kill the front tires (the car setups are not optimized for this section and the front tires pay the price). A second given up on the GP course can easily be made up on the ring with better tires so don't push the car too much on the GP course. If you are not confident in your skills on the ring then it's probably best to plan to pit after each lap and see how things go the first two laps. The time you will lose with the extra stops will far outweigh being left on track with no tread or crashing. The car is definitely more difficult to handle on the 2nd lap. As the fuel burns off and the car is lighter you might get better tire wear and can switch to a 2 stop strategy based on tire condition at the end of lap 1. On the other hand if you push harder and go faster on the lighter car it can actually burn tires faster so your mileage may vary. Should be a fun and intense event.

Last edited:
Would be nice to be able to us ASM for the Carousel on the 2nd lap though!:grumpy:

Yep. I did a few laps testing tunes (EDK's with ride-height mods is better for me than Praiano's) and lap 2 invariably featured snap oversteer on the Karrussel. First time I wrote it off to Praianio's tune (which is way stiff), second time the message sank in that it was no accident. More practice is required. I've done the Nurb 4 Hours in the Audi Playstation R8 and didn't notice so pronounced a shift in handling from one lap to the next.

I tried RS and RM briefly yesterday, and I was getting nowhere near the end of the second lap with RS's. They were pretty much gone by the time I reached Bergwerk. (that's about half of the lap)

So I guess I have to either a) drive like my grandmother (who, come to think of it, never drove a car), b) get another setup that will not chew the tires so much, or c) go like crazy for 8 laps and only really cross the start/finish line at the end of the race.

snowgt
I tried RS and RM briefly yesterday, and I was getting nowhere near the end of the second lap with RS's. They were pretty much gone by the time I reached Bergwerk. (that's about half of the lap)

So I guess I have to either a) drive like my grandmother (who, come to think of it, never drove a car), b) get another setup that will not chew the tires so much, or c) go like crazy for 8 laps and only really cross the start/finish line at the end of the race.

Try the setup from CSL linked in the details post, but use the tranny from EDK. Is your tire wear even front to back? If its too much front you need to slow down sooner and be careful on the really slow speed turns not to push the fronts. Slow in and fast out.

Try the setup from CSL linked in the details post, but use the tranny from EDK. Is your tire wear even front to back? If its too much front you need to slow down sooner and be careful on the really slow speed turns not to push the fronts. Slow in and fast out.

Dead on. Fronts were gone. Rear tires probably would have survived lap 2. I already had a hunch that the Praiano tune was too stiff.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out tonight (hopefully before practice).

And if that doesn't work, we'll see how many qualifying laps I can do in a row without flying off. :sly:

If its too much front you need to slow down sooner and be careful on the really slow speed turns not to push the fronts. Slow in and fast out.

Also while taking some uber fast corners, notice how the fronts get trashed. For example: the corner after the end of the first sector in the nordschliefe. Lifting slightly while taking those will help your tire wear too.

mohitraina91
Also while taking some uber fast corners, notice how the fronts get trashed. For example: the corner after the end of the first sector in the nordschliefe. Lifting slightly while taking those will help your tire wear too.

But it's SO fun taking those all out!

Doing some practice in the lounge, as always feel free to join 👍

Let's see how fast I can shred this tyres :mischievous:

Here's what I came up with for an online tune last night. My second lap on softs was an 8:12.7, if I recall correctly.

I actually had faster rear tire wear than front. (slightly).

If struggling with back end step out, I suggest -

1. Positive rear toe of between +0.10 and 0.20
2. Closer to even on springs, by stiffening rear or softening front
3. Last resort (for me) would be to stiffen the rear dampers to match front

EDK Online Tune
RH 0/0
Springs 17.5/14.0
Damps 3/2 (Comp and Ext)
ARB 5/5
Camber 2.2/1.0
Toe 0.0/0.0

LSD 10/18/15

Aero = Max

BB 1/3

Transmisson -

Final far right.

Top speed far left.

Final 2958

EDK
Here's what I came up with for an online tune last night. My second lap on softs was an 8:12.7, if I recall correctly.

Almost exactly my time on the 2nd lap so it should be a fun race.

Thanks for posting the tune... I linked to it in the details post of this thread for future reference.

Chillin at the 'Ring. Come join.

Edit: too distracted by the baseball trade deadline. Can't concentrate on track.

Last edited:
GT5 crashed on my way out of the Lounge:scared: Hope I didn't screw it up!

Nice little tussle today :)

Was really enjoying practice today, good bunch of races guys 👍

See you all in the race tomorrow, 8 laps will be pretty exhausting and tire management will be key.

I hope I'll be able to make the races tomorrow.

Currently I'm fighting the pedal case trying to get them all back where they go so I can close it back up. If my fix doesn't work, I'll probably be out of the online races and the TT for a while until I'm able to get new pedals.

Edit: Everything is good to go on my end. 👍

Last edited:
What a POS!!:mad: When GT5 crashed on my out of the lounge it took my race result AND tune and chose to forget them! AHRRGH!!:mad::mad::mad:

/rant
Thank you, I feel better now:gtpflag:

GTP_3D3_Racing

That's where they are always held unless stated otherwise.

👍 Minus the extra underscore: GTP_3D3Racing

Just in case someone reads that and sends a FR and gets a message that it doesn't exist.

See you all in the race tomorrow, 8 laps will be pretty exhausting and tire management will be key.

You bet. Was the same way for 9 Lives. Good training for the enduro as this one is going to test a driver's patience.

I will be joining with in the hour!

Al

You'll probably be gone already, but I plan to get one last practice in at about 8:30 PM Pacific.

Last edited:
i did last night race distant test and here's my setup tune for race

RH -5/-5
Springs 16.5/14.0
Comp 8/8
Ext 8/8
ARB 5/5
Camber 1.5/0.5
Toe 0.00/0.00
LSD 10/20/15
Aero = Max
BB 2/6
EDK's transmisson

TC: 1
ABS: 3

I have a suggestion, but it might be too late to change it.

From the practice races we did last night, much fun came from the fact that people were on a different rhythm regarding their pitstops. If we do 8 laps, EVERYone will do 2 lap stints. So why not do 7 or 9 laps? This would bring some much needed variety to the race. You could take yourself out of traffic, produce some mismatches with the tires on the track, etc.

What do you guys think...?

Back