GTP WRS-Online : Event 70 : The F is for Fun - January 9

looks like its gonna be a good race, now if i can just do all the laps without crashing ill be happy :)

Tim you mentioned last night that pole sitter only needed to do speed limit in the 3rd sector is that still the case or is it 70kmh all the way.

Also im a bit worried if we'll all fit before the start finish line :) its such a short distance

Important Notice

Passing a driver anywhere near your pace is very difficult at this track, in fact nearly impossible unless the driver in front makes a pretty significant mistake.

All drivers will need to show patience today and might end up needing to use pit timing / strategy to engineer passes. The course is very tricky with this car and mismatched tire compound, especially when tires are cold or worn down so there will be mistakes allowing passes during the race. Be patient and wait for a "clean" opportunity.

We do not want to see and will not tolerate "dive bombing". The chicanes heading downhill in T1 are a "perfect" setup for the illegal dive bomb. All drivers need to take a wide entrance and brake early to make those corners effectively... a reckless driver following could easily brake late and "stuff it to the inside" with little chance to actually make a safe pass, but very likely to slow everyone down in the process and potentially create a mess for everyone else behind them.

There will no doubt times when you may be held up and maybe a little frustrated. Go into the race knowing that's going to happen today and prepare yourself. Consider it a test of your patience. We're using "very fast" tire wear to induce several pit stops allowing varying strategies so use that opportunity wisely. Short pit if you are stuck behind someone. If you don't think you can handle this mental challenge then your better off to skip this week and join us another day.

There will no doubt times when you may be held up and maybe a little frustrated, especially if you under perform in qualification. Go into the race knowing that's going to happen today and prepare yourself. Consider it a test of your patience. We've chosen "very fast" tire wear to induce several pit stops and fuel levels allowing varying strategies so use that opportunity to engineer passes. Remember, you can short pit if you are stuck behind someone.

If you don't think you can handle this "mental challenge" then you're probably better off to skip this week and join us another day.

Finally, remember the following points from the OLR and value being clean over winning or gaining positions:

Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs.

The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.

If there’s contact between drivers that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver should immediately allow the innocent driver to pass freely to re-establish their position. This rule should be observed, even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they contacted.

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

Thanks for the car Tim, it's def faster now. I'm just aiming for a nice no mistakes race

Tim you mentioned last night that pole sitter only needed to do speed limit in the 3rd sector is that still the case or is it 70kmh all the way.

Also im a bit worried if we'll all fit before the start finish line :) its such a short distance

The pole sitter can go a little faster early in the formation lap... not too much though, maybe 100 kph. Right after the tunnel we need to close ranks quickly and keep at the slow speed the rest of the way as the last turn is tight and we can't afford the tail end of the pack to lag as there isn't that much time to the line. It's possible the people in the back of the pack will be starting on a slight curve, but with double file they'll be able to piont pretty much in a straight line as long as we approach the start/finish at formation pace assuming they have time to line up properly.

I think with the 70 kph / 44 mph speed, which is in the mid range of 2nd gear, we should be able to stay tight and have a tidy start.

All will have to take care in turn 1... it's pretty hard to take two wide so the drivers that can get single file have a chance to get away a little. Remember, the goal of turn 1 is to get through clean and get a good launch on a long race, not to gain 2-3 positions.

EDIT: I've updated my calculations having increased my pace a bit. I'm now estimating fuel consumption of about 5.35-5.45 L per lap and therefore I'd recommend a minimum of 147-150 L added for the full race. And for me, that will be the razors edge... if you are risk averse definitely put in a bit more. Use this information at your own risk. :sly:

Last edited:
Main lounge is open for pre-race practice. Qualification starts in a little over one hour.

WRP001 has just taken the lead on lap 40/46, with JTV second.

Battle between Mamba, MadMax, and Speedy for 3rd going on.

Forgot to post that the livestream was up. :dunce:
Thanks for watching Mohit. 👍

EDIT: Off to get some sleep now to make the NA Race. :)

Here are the official results:

event70_res_eu_zps79070bd8.png

As you can see there were no changes of position at all for the first 7 which goes to show you how hard passing was in this one. However, don't let that fool you, there was some seriously close racing and it was exhausting. Thanks guys.

I ended up putting in 147 L of fuel... I started saving fuel by short shifting after I got a 2 second gap on JTV for the last 5 laps and ended up with 4-6 L left at the end. I think JTV put in 141 or 142 and basically ran out at the line.

Pekka definitely had the best pace in the first stint, but no way to pass and I didn't make any mistakes big enough to allow him a clean pass. He was very patient. 👍 I got into a better rhythm in the 2nd and 3rd stint without Pekka hounding my every apex. :lol:

:cheers:

Last edited:
NOTE: The incident has been definitively ruled a lag issue so assuming no incidents are reported the results are official.

The video below is proof so you all can see what's involved in a "lag punt" should it ever happen to you.

The driver following (MadMax) never sees any contact and also no contact is shown on my replay. MadMax brakes going into the turn as he should and proceeds as normal, seeing Mamba accelerate himself into the wall.

The driver experiencing the lag (Mamba) has his own "reality". Because of lag the information stops arriving from Pekka right in the breaking zone. Thus Mamba's instance of GT5 has to project where MadMax will be based on his last known velocity/direction, which in the brake zone, doesn't include any extra brake inputs during the period of lag which decelerated MadMax's car. Thus in Mamba's reality MadMax doesn't slow down, initiates contact and punts Mamba into the wall. If we were to watch Mamba's replay we'd see a second reality, when in fact it never happened.

Unfortunately this is a result of an imperfect internet / lag and nobody is at fault. MadMax never saw any contact and wasn't at fault thus did not wait for Mamba to regain his position which is correct in his (and my) reality as shown by the replay.

NOTE: The incident has been definitively ruled a lag issue so assuming no incidents are reported the results are official.

The video below is proof so you all can see what's involved in a "lag punt" should it ever happen to you.

Or Pekka, like Kimi, has powers from Skyrim (note: I've never played, but I lost a brother for a few weeks....)

FUS DO RAH!!
:D

Congrats, Tim. Great race prep and info. Missing it again already...

Lounge is open for pre-race practice.

EDIT: had to leave quick to change oil, forgot to do that after EU race... be right back...

EDIT: OK, lounge is setup again. Come one, come all (or at least 6 of you).

Don't think I'm going to make it. Internet's been out for few hours and doesn't look like it's coming back in time.

Congratz Jon, here are the results.

event70_res_na_zpsf93930f9.png

I was in the exact same position after 40 laps as in the EU race... On Jon's bumper in 2nd place... only this time I crashed trying to get a run on him. Great racing today.

Here are the combined results:

event70_res_combined_zpsf1a2ffa8.png

Finally, here's a highlight video from the EU race first stint, featuring a "run through the field":

Great job on a very clean start for the entire field of the EU race. Classy racing there!

The driver following (MadMax) never sees any contact and also no contact is shown on my replay. MadMax brakes going into the turn as he should and proceeds as normal, seeing Mamba accelerate himself into the wall.

The driver experiencing the lag (Mamba) has his own "reality". Because of lag the information stops arriving from Pekka right in the breaking zone. Thus Mamba's instance of GT5 has to project where MadMax will be based on his last known velocity/direction, which in the brake zone, doesn't include any extra brake inputs during the period of lag which decelerated MadMax's car. Thus in Mamba's reality MadMax doesn't slow down, initiates contact and punts Mamba into the wall. If we were to watch Mamba's replay we'd see a second reality, when in fact it never happened.

Unfortunately this is a result of an imperfect internet / lag and nobody is at fault. MadMax never saw any contact and wasn't at fault thus did not wait for Mamba to regain his position which is correct in his (and my) reality as shown by the replay.

Lag sure is terrible. I was certain Pekka hit me but now I see he wasn't even close damn you GT5 6 more laps of defending and I was doing a great job for the last couple of laps, anyway hopefully next time I dont lag too much.

eigernordwandshorttrackm.jpg

Wow, Tim. You've been busy. :D Thanks for doing all that.

Congrats Jon, Kev, and Tim. I got to watch the last couple laps' battle between Kev and Tim, and I was fully jealous. :P

Well, what a mess I caused. Just really glad to know you all got through OK with me sitting in the middle of the final turn. :ouch: That made the night a lot more fun, finding that out afterward. All that was missing was Marc going "Awww, Lucaaaas!" over the mic. :sly:

I tried a bathroom break during the first pit, didn't feel as slow as it does when you stay in the car. :dunce: But it was slower.

Successful night of racing. :cheers:

Well, what a mess I caused. Just really glad to know you all got through OK with me sitting in the middle of the final turn. :ouch: That made the night a lot more fun, finding that out afterward. All that was missing was Marc going "Awww, Lucaaaas!" over the mic. :sly:

Details.....??? Did you blow the formation lap or something?

No, first race lap after nailing pole he parked it sideways (or slideways) in the middle of the track at the end of lap 1 after a bad drifting experiment. :lol: Classic. :sly:

Jon, speedy and I got through and Pekka stopped to wait.... Not sure what exactly happened as I biffed my quali lap and started near the back. Hence all the changes in position in the race.

Ps. Jon and I calculated we ran 60 laps today within a second or two and at least 20 literally within half a car length. In all that time only one pass for position. :lol:

Lag sure is terrible. I was certain Pekka hit me but now I see he wasn't even close damn you GT5 6 more laps of defending and I was doing a great job for the last couple of laps, anyway hopefully next time I dont lag too much.

eigernordwandshorttrackm.jpg

The gap from my point of view / replay:

eigernordwandshorttrackec.jpg

Damn that lag , who ever that is , keeps messing up a lot of online games.

No, first race lap after nailing pole he parked it sideways (or slideways) in the middle of the track at the end of lap 1 after a bad drifting experiment. :lol: Classic. :sly:

It's hilarious on the replay, but could have easily ended races for folks, so I do apologize, but Tim called it a "gift", which made me happy. :)

On the topic of Pekka and his racecraft (I know, it was lag, but I still have to say it): You are one fine racer. You can be my wingman anytime.:lol:
(sorry for the Top Gun reference)
Guy does 3 pits and still pulls in a 10.1, holy heavens. :eek:

-----
Here he is passing me in the air a couple laps after needlessly waiting for me after that lap1 fiasco:

EigerNordwandShortTrack_zps2f73efcf.jpg

Last edited:
Was a really fun race last night.

@nOize

Was a tough battle, had fun chasing you.

Too bad I couldn't make it stick in the last sector of the final round, went a bit to wide and hit the wall.

Hope to catch you next time;)

The gap from my point of view / replay:

Damn that lag , who ever that is , keeps messing up a lot of online games.

Yeah my lag probably caused a lot of confusion for you there, you did wait for me after that mid air collision (which was probably lag as well) so I'm not questioning your race craft. Good racing though didn't think I could keep you behind longer

Hopefully if I race Saturday I can redeem myself :)

You can see in the Livestream vid how Tim and I dodged them with 3/4 of the road blocked ahead of us.

Back